Kawasaki Forums

Kawasaki Forums (https://www.kawasakiforums.com/forum/)
-   KLX 250S (https://www.kawasakiforums.com/forum/klx-250s-71/)
-   -   new klx250s owner (https://www.kawasakiforums.com/forum/klx-250s-71/new-klx250s-owner-29534/)

scottma978 07-28-2009 12:27 AM

new klx250s owner

hi guys, I just rode my new 09 250s home from the dealer. I must say it has been 20 years since I have ridden anything other then street bikes and four wheelers and snowmobiles.....but I remember 250cc bikes having a lot more power....lol I should have ridden before I bought! Am I the only one here that was really disappointed in the power of this bike?..I do not mean to shred the bike and am still hoping to become a fan of it. I was going to go with a drz 400, but I was just too short for the bike. Oh well, I have 10 miles on the bike, and have decided I will order the big bore 331 kit from Kustom Kraft Performance and a new pipe and jet kit...let the games begin :)

buff36 07-28-2009 12:40 AM

Congrats on the new bike. Mine was just stolen. A pipe and jet kit will do wonders

Odimus 07-28-2009 02:07 AM

Welcome and Congrats!!!

dmar 07-28-2009 02:12 AM

If you increase bore size, add full exhaust, rejet and airbox mods you should be happy with the power. Just remember it's not a kx250.

testify4 07-28-2009 02:46 AM

Congrats on the new bike!

The KLX is a bit poky for a 250. I'd get the airbox opened up, a high-flow filter along with a new exhaust and the correct jetting to see if you like that, first. It does give the bike some more legs- I noticed a marked improvement last weekend when I did the same route on a canyon carving ride I did the year before.

I hear you, though- some of those uphill curves had me thinking about Bill Blue's work. :D

Bob Billen 07-28-2009 03:09 AM

Don't be to quick to assume you might have made a mistake. Do the pipe and header,a dyno jet kit remove the snorkel put a 46 tooth on the rear sprocket ,and you will think you have a different bike. These bikes are very good off road and the highway twistys . My 09 has 600 miles on it now and I take it up ti over 11000 ft on some very technical old jeep trails,and it never lets me down. I ride the Colorado Rockies with my 39 year old son who also has a 09 KLX and we both love these bikes. Give it a change and you will love it,also I would think twice about a big bore kit. I do not think it is needed. Bob Billen 69 nine and still exploring the high country on 2 wheels

neilaction 07-28-2009 03:26 AM

Originally Posted by scottma978 (Post 386846)
I was going to go with a drz 400, but I was just too short for the bike.

Welcome.:)
Same thing stopped me getting a DRZ and I too was a bit disappointed with the stock KLX.
But a few mods and I am now more than happy.
Good luck.

Oh, and for what its worth. IMHO, It takes a lot of time and money trying to make the KLX perform.
Just think hard before you start.:confused:
Most people would be better off just upgrading bikes rather than doing all the mods required.
Just sayin':)

thommo77 07-28-2009 05:55 AM

+1 on most of the above. Pipe, rejet and airbox especially.
I think all 09 owners agree its not the punchiest (is that a word?) engine going around.
Give it a chance to 'loosen up' too.
You'll love this bike, though!

ddt1972 07-28-2009 06:40 AM

These bikes do seem to gain a little more power as the rings set in the cylinder. +1 on the pipe, rejet, and snorkel mod, that made a lot of difference in the "seat of the pants" feel for my bike.

DSBoomerRider 07-28-2009 11:29 AM

Welcome to the family!:)

I also found the bike weak in the performance department when I first got it. (Used to riding 2 Strokes:rolleyes:) But as soon as I hit the real tight single track technical trails. It really shined:D The bike is light and very nimble and once it's in the trails, it does it's job. Besides once you get those MODS you'll be happy:D Can't wait to do it for mine :cool: