new klx250s owner

Search this Thread

Old 07-28-2009, 12:27 AM
1st Gear Member
Default new klx250s owner

hi guys, I just rode my new 09 250s home from the dealer. I must say it has been 20 years since I have ridden anything other then street bikes and four wheelers and snowmobiles.....but I remember 250cc bikes having a lot more power....lol I should have ridden before I bought! Am I the only one here that was really disappointed in the power of this bike?..I do not mean to shred the bike and am still hoping to become a fan of it. I was going to go with a drz 400, but I was just too short for the bike. Oh well, I have 10 miles on the bike, and have decided I will order the big bore 331 kit from Kustom Kraft Performance and a new pipe and jet kit...let the games begin

Old 07-28-2009, 12:40 AM
1st Gear Member

Congrats on the new bike. Mine was just stolen. A pipe and jet kit will do wonders

Old 07-28-2009, 02:07 AM
1st Gear Member

Welcome and Congrats!!!

Old 07-28-2009, 02:12 AM
1st Gear Member

If you increase bore size, add full exhaust, rejet and airbox mods you should be happy with the power. Just remember it's not a kx250.

Old 07-28-2009, 02:46 AM
1st Gear Member

Congrats on the new bike!

The KLX is a bit poky for a 250. I'd get the airbox opened up, a high-flow filter along with a new exhaust and the correct jetting to see if you like that, first. It does give the bike some more legs- I noticed a marked improvement last weekend when I did the same route on a canyon carving ride I did the year before.

I hear you, though- some of those uphill curves had me thinking about Bill Blue's work.

Old 07-28-2009, 03:09 AM
1st Gear Member

Don't be to quick to assume you might have made a mistake. Do the pipe and header,a dyno jet kit remove the snorkel put a 46 tooth on the rear sprocket ,and you will think you have a different bike. These bikes are very good off road and the highway twistys . My 09 has 600 miles on it now and I take it up ti over 11000 ft on some very technical old jeep trails,and it never lets me down. I ride the Colorado Rockies with my 39 year old son who also has a 09 KLX and we both love these bikes. Give it a change and you will love it,also I would think twice about a big bore kit. I do not think it is needed. Bob Billen 69 nine and still exploring the high country on 2 wheels

Old 07-28-2009, 03:26 AM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by scottma978
I was going to go with a drz 400, but I was just too short for the bike.
Welcome.
Same thing stopped me getting a DRZ and I too was a bit disappointed with the stock KLX.
But a few mods and I am now more than happy.
Good luck.

Oh, and for what its worth. IMHO, It takes a lot of time and money trying to make the KLX perform.
Just think hard before you start.
Most people would be better off just upgrading bikes rather than doing all the mods required.
Just sayin'

Old 07-28-2009, 05:55 AM
1st Gear Member

+1 on most of the above. Pipe, rejet and airbox especially.
I think all 09 owners agree its not the punchiest (is that a word?) engine going around.
Give it a chance to 'loosen up' too.
You'll love this bike, though!

Old 07-28-2009, 06:40 AM
1st Gear Member

These bikes do seem to gain a little more power as the rings set in the cylinder. +1 on the pipe, rejet, and snorkel mod, that made a lot of difference in the "seat of the pants" feel for my bike.

Old 07-28-2009, 11:29 AM
1st Gear Member

Welcome to the family!

I also found the bike weak in the performance department when I first got it. (Used to riding 2 Strokes) But as soon as I hit the real tight single track technical trails. It really shined The bike is light and very nimble and once it's in the trails, it does it's job. Besides once you get those MODS you'll be happy Can't wait to do it for mine

Quick Reply: new klx250s owner