New handlebars advice

Search this Thread

Old 08-02-2010, 01:46 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by Arctra

I contacted the dealer about the end-mounts and he had the ones that came with the bark busters. I took the bars along with me when I visited and unfortunately the mounts were too small, and he didn't have any of the size I needed. Seems my Pro-taper bars inner diameter is larger than normal and I'll need to go to another store to get the kit I need. A bit annoying really, but at least I know what I need to do now. I like your suggestion klx678, but it'll probably be easier to get a barkbuster solution seeing as it exists.
Well, the suggestion to make it was last ditch. I'd look for the easiest way first, the decide based on cost after finding it.

On the inserts they had at the dealership, why not shim them out with aluminum cut from a softdrink can, provided you are saying the clamping device is too small for the bars. I did that when the shims I got with a pair of bar warmer inserts were too large. The can aluminum is ultra thin so you can use a full wrap, half a wrap, or multiple wraps. After all, the material is the right price and you even get to drink what's in it... wait a minute... use a beer can! It's all gonna work the same.

Old 08-29-2010, 04:37 AM
1st Gear Member
Default Finally fitted them...

After putting it of for several weeks (due mainly to other weekend obligations) I have finally fitted the new bars. Took me about 2 hours - but I suspect my hangover held me back a bit. Removing the grips was a pain so I ended up just cutting them off. I thought the throttle body may have been a little more difficult than it was.

Name:  DSC_0023b.jpg
Views: 151
Size:  84.5 KB
Name:  DSC_0022b.jpg
Views: 160
Size:  90.6 KB

I was stumped by the bar busters though
I need access to a vice to bend the buggers into shape. I suspect I need to cut the end of the levers off for a better fit too, though I would like your guys feedback on that. I don't see why cutting the tips off will be a problem. I could go the other route and get some shorter levers, but why spend time and money when there's a quick simple solution.

Name:  DSC_0020b.jpg
Views: 158
Size:  84.5 KB
Name:  DSC_0019b.jpg
Views: 199
Size:  98.1 KB

I have some risers as well, but thanks to the brake cable being too short I didn't put them in. I have a braided cable on its way, so once I have that I'll put the risers in.

Old 08-30-2010, 03:16 AM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by Arctra
After putting it of for several weeks (due mainly to other weekend obligations) I have finally fitted the new bars. Took me about 2 hours - but I suspect my hangover held me back a bit. Removing the grips was a pain so I ended up just cutting them off. I thought the throttle body may have been a little more difficult than it was.

I was stumped by the bar busters though
I need access to a vice to bend the buggers into shape. I suspect I need to cut the end of the levers off for a better fit too, though I would like your guys feedback on that. I don't see why cutting the tips off will be a problem. I could go the other route and get some shorter levers, but why spend time and money when there's a quick simple solution.

I have some risers as well, but thanks to the brake cable being too short I didn't put them in. I have a braided cable on its way, so once I have that I'll put the risers in.
New bars and grips look good! I have poked around on the forum for barkbuster fitments and ran into the same issue. Are these the EGOs? The EGOs are designed for shorter levers so I opted to purchase the VPS barkbusters which are wider and no lever mods required. I have asked a few others and they have also trimmed the nubs off the end of the levers to make them fit so that's the easy/cheap way to go.

That is unless you want to shell out some money for some nice zetas, which are a nice product, but if the stock ones are working, no point in getting them IMHO unless your looking to show off to your pals how shiny your levers are

Cheers,
Anthony

Old 08-30-2010, 04:49 AM
1st Gear Member

That's one of the reasons I like Cycra handguards. The metal is lower than the levers...so, you just have to clear the plastic bits....much easier to modify.

Old 09-09-2010, 02:20 PM
1st Gear Member

I just installed Renthal bars and Acerbis Supermoto Handguards. I will post pictures later today.

Old 09-11-2010, 04:51 AM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by PSUdude85
New bars and grips look good! I have poked around on the forum for barkbuster fitments and ran into the same issue. Are these the EGOs? The EGOs are designed for shorter levers so I opted to purchase the VPS barkbusters which are wider and no lever mods required. I have asked a few others and they have also trimmed the nubs off the end of the levers to make them fit so that's the easy/cheap way to go.

That is unless you want to shell out some money for some nice zetas, which are a nice product, but if the stock ones are working, no point in getting them IMHO unless your looking to show off to your pals how shiny your levers are

Cheers,
Anthony
I took your route and sprung for the Barkbuster VPS units - fitted perfectly, and I think their shape suits the bike's angular look better than the rounded Ego's.

I am not entirely comfortable with the way the brake line goes with the new bars and barkbusters. It's a little tight when there is no weight on the bike, and the barkbuster clamp cramps the space for the hose to flex when the forks compress. Good thing I have a (slightly longer) braided line on it's away. Can't say I am looking forward to changing the line and bleeding the brake line though

Name:  DSC_0031b.jpg
Views: 148
Size:  64.4 KB

Name:  DSC_0028b.jpg
Views: 155
Size:  59.3 KB

Name:  DSC_0029b.jpg
Views: 156
Size:  43.0 KB

Last edited by Arctra; 09-11-2010 at 05:13 AM. Reason: Added pics
Old 09-11-2010, 10:25 AM
1st Gear Member

bars and grips are a personal taste thing- but if you ride in cold weather- grip heaters are the best.
I have arthritis in my hands- so the cold weather really hurts, the warm grips feel great. also I find on a summer ride if caught in the rain the grip heaters will dry my gloves out.

I used http://www.dual-star.com/index2/Ride...d_grip_kit.htm

What i like about theses is that they have a hi and low. and low uses less power then high. The EE brand uses a resistor on low so the heated are not as hot but the resistor is hot as hell and using the same amount of power.