Help Me Pick New Handlebars for My KLX250S?!?

Search this Thread

Old 09-02-2009, 12:09 PM
1st Gear Member
Talking Help Me Pick New Handlebars for My KLX250S?!?

I have a 2006 KLX250S that I ride about 20% on pavement, 70% National Forest Sand Roads here in NW Florida, and 10% single track with a lot of sand.

I need to put new handlebars on it and I am clueless as to what to get because I always just used factory bars on my bikes.

I'm wide shouldered, 5'10", 235 pounds, 30" inseam and lift weights a lot and am considered blocky in physique with little fat. I stand on the pegs about half the time I'm off pavement and am having to lean over a bit more than I'd like plus these factory bars are just too narrow for comfort.

I'm not impressed by brand names or fancy looks. (I'm an old phart)

I just want a good set of fairly wide and an inch or so taller bars that are strong and durable. I don't want to have to relocate anything or buy different cables etc.

Please let me know what you suggest and if you want to be REALLY helpful, a link for where to get them would be GREAT!

Thanks,
$bob$

Old 09-02-2009, 02:29 PM
1st Gear Member

Renthal "Jimmy Button" or Renthal 809 RC High bend. Similar to stock just about an inch taller and with less sweep. I'm 6'0" and stand fine with them. No issues with the stock cables either.

Old 09-02-2009, 03:15 PM
1st Gear Member

im 6'1" and i have a set of 7/8 pro taper bars that i actually had to narrow cause they were so wide. for the price and quality, you cant beat em

Old 09-02-2009, 03:16 PM
1st Gear Member

I would go with what West said. Plus they are tough as hell.

Old 09-02-2009, 03:52 PM
1st Gear Member

my 2 cents. I just put on a set of Pro Taper SE 7/8 CR High bend two days ago. So far, big difference from stock. Very easy install - no issues with cable length.

Old 09-02-2009, 10:09 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by dw108
my 2 cents. I just put on a set of Pro Taper SE 7/8 CR High bend two days ago. So far, big difference from stock. Very easy install - no issues with cable length.
I put these on my SF version first and my cables were too short. Maybe you guys have longer cables?

Old 09-02-2009, 10:13 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by LDHunter
I have a 2006 KLX250S that I ride about 20% on pavement, 70% National Forest Sand Roads here in NW Florida, and 10% single track with a lot of sand.

I need to put new handlebars on it and I am clueless as to what to get because I always just used factory bars on my bikes.

I'm wide shouldered, 5'10", 235 pounds, 30" inseam and lift weights a lot and am considered blocky in physique with little fat. I stand on the pegs about half the time I'm off pavement and am having to lean over a bit more than I'd like plus these factory bars are just too narrow for comfort.

I'm not impressed by brand names or fancy looks. (I'm an old phart)

I just want a good set of fairly wide and an inch or so taller bars that are strong and durable. I don't want to have to relocate anything or buy different cables etc.

Please let me know what you suggest and if you want to be REALLY helpful, a link for where to get them would be GREAT!

Thanks,
$bob$
I got some brand new black CR hi Pro Tapers that have been trimmed to the narrowest mark (same size as the stock bars that came with my bike) that I'll sell ya for super cheap plus actual shipping to you. Hows $30 plus actual shipping cost? Whats the width, bar tip to bar tip on your stock bars?

Old 09-03-2009, 12:29 AM
1st Gear Member

I run 7/8" Renthal Carmichael bars, I like them enough for now.

Old 09-03-2009, 03:28 AM
1st Gear Member

I like Tusk products @ Rocky Mountain ATV. Excellent price, comparable product.

Old 09-04-2009, 05:43 PM
1st Gear Member

^^^ All great suggestions. I mounted a set of Renthal Jimmy Buttons, and although they are great bars, I still find them a bit low for off road riding (im 6'0").

Keep in mind though that really high bars may require longer throttle cables.

Quick Reply: Help Me Pick New Handlebars for My KLX250S?!?