New to the Forum... But My Videos Aren't

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-2020, 06:12 AM
1st Gear Member
Default New to the Forum... But My Videos Aren't

Hello everyone,

I decided to finally post on here, after joining the forum a little bit ago. My name is Jeff, but some of you probably follow me on YouTube "JH Motor Club".

I have the 2018 KLX250 with Bill Blue's 351 big bore kit, KDX Snorkel, Full FMF, and the EJK tuner.
One of my more recent videos was putting the KLX on the dyno, which I see has already been posted on here lol. It provided me an opportunity to assess how the bike was running overall. I learned lots of things and verified some things as well. With this newfound information, I will be pursuing new avenues to improve the bike in the performance category. If you wish to follow along, go ahead and subscribe.

Here is the dyno chart from the run:

Old 03-08-2020, 08:21 AM
1st Gear Member

Hey Jeff,

Great to see you here. I do apologize for my posts' bluntness on your Youtube of the dyno session. If you like, I'd be happy to re-do that post or delete it.

You are providing glimpses into an area that is sorely needing to be figured out and finalized - fueling the 351. I really hope that our combined efforts will give you the best possible performance and fuel mileage possible - they are not mutually exclusive and actually go hand-in-hand - as well as pave the way for "the world" to achieve proper 351 EFI fueling. Obviously also enhancing your channels' popularity..

Our members have many talents and capabilities regarding all aspects of the KLX and improving its' capabilities.. I am the member that's done dyno experimentation with fueling and ignition schemes. The result of which is the three mod combos that produce either max TRQ, max HP, or best overall power cuves and levels.

And I am at your disposal.
PM (private message) me and, as with members who seek my help, I'm happy to give you my phone number.. To do so, click on my handle,"Klxster" in blue letters above and to the left, and on the drop down list , choose "Send a private message to Klxster"..

In the meantime, please refrain from operating your 351 at WOT - this journey requires your engine remain healthy while the fueling is made correct..

Last edited by Klxster; 03-08-2020 at 08:34 AM.
Old 03-08-2020, 07:34 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by Klxster
Hey Jeff,

Great to see you here. I do apologize for my posts' bluntness on your Youtube of the dyno session. If you like, I'd be happy to re-do that post or delete it.

You are providing glimpses into an area that is sorely needing to be figured out and finalized - fueling the 351. I really hope that our combined efforts will give you the best possible performance and fuel mileage possible - they are not mutually exclusive and actually go hand-in-hand - as well as pave the way for "the world" to achieve proper 351 EFI fueling. Obviously also enhancing your channels' popularity..

Our members have many talents and capabilities regarding all aspects of the KLX and improving its' capabilities.. I am the member that's done dyno experimentation with fueling and ignition schemes. The result of which is the three mod combos that produce either max TRQ, max HP, or best overall power cuves and levels.

And I am at your disposal.
PM (private message) me and, as with members who seek my help, I'm happy to give you my phone number.. To do so, click on my handle,"Klxster" in blue letters above and to the left, and on the drop down list , choose "Send a private message to Klxster"..

In the meantime, please refrain from operating your 351 at WOT - this journey requires your engine remain healthy while the fueling is made correct..
You don't have to change your comment or anything. That's what the comment section is for, feedback on the videos. Since it seems you have had experience with Dynojet, per other posts. Tell me what you know about the tuning with the EJK. Here's what I know about tuning the EJK, gathered from EJK's website and while riding the bike observing which zones are active:
Green: Cruising/Idle Fueling/ Lower RPMs (Engages from idle to about 3,500-4,000 RPM)
Yellow: Under Acceleration/ Mid Range RPMs (Engages from 3,500-4,000 RPM to 7,500-8,000)
Red: WOT/ Upper RPMs (Engages from 7,500-8,000)
Green-Blue: Transition between Stock Fueling and the Green Zone
Yellow-Blue: Transition between Green Zone and Yellow Zone
Red-Blue Transition between Yellow Zone and Red Zone

So, after the dyno session, I immediately added some fuel to the Yellow zone, since that is where it was running lean. Then, I went down in the red zone one half light since it was a little too rich up there. The obvious issue with the AFR is around 6,500 RPM. When I spoke with Mr. Blue during his development of the EFI 351 tune. He stated that there was a lean spot that Dobeck has to iron out a bit. It seems that this may be it. My understanding is that when adding fuel to a zone, it does it across the whole zone. Therefore, it is difficult to target one specific area. Are you aware of any way to make these adjustments?

Old 03-08-2020, 09:18 PM
1st Gear Member

I am more familiar with the EJK than I care to be. Since it is the only solution we have, I guess we are both about to become "experts"...

Do you want to "do this" in here or personally ?

Old 03-09-2020, 01:46 AM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by Klxster
I am more familiar with the EJK than I care to be. Since it is the only solution we have, I guess we are both about to become "experts"...

Do you want to "do this" in here or personally ?
You can send me a private message.

Old 03-09-2020, 06:54 AM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by J Higgens
You don't have to change your comment or anything. That's what the comment section is for, feedback on the videos. Since it seems you have had experience with Dynojet, per other posts. Tell me what you know about the tuning with the EJK. Here's what I know about tuning the EJK, gathered from EJK's website and while riding the bike observing which zones are active:
Green: Cruising/Idle Fueling/ Lower RPMs (Engages from idle to about 3,500-4,000 RPM)
Yellow: Under Acceleration/ Mid Range RPMs (Engages from 3,500-4,000 RPM to 7,500-8,000)
Red: WOT/ Upper RPMs (Engages from 7,500-8,000)
Green-Blue: Transition between Stock Fueling and the Green Zone
Yellow-Blue: Transition between Green Zone and Yellow Zone
Red-Blue Transition between Yellow Zone and Red Zone

So, after the dyno session, I immediately added some fuel to the Yellow zone, since that is where it was running lean. Then, I went down in the red zone one half light since it was a little too rich up there. The obvious issue with the AFR is around 6,500 RPM. When I spoke with Mr. Blue during his development of the EFI 351 tune. He stated that there was a lean spot that Dobeck has to iron out a bit. It seems that this may be it. My understanding is that when adding fuel to a zone, it does it across the whole zone. Therefore, it is difficult to target one specific area. Are you aware of any way to make these adjustments?
If i understood their marketing right the zones arent hard stop/start, but they form a curve based on the settings. That way it should be anyways. Like halfway between two zones is roughly half of either ones setting so you might need to up the both around it. And might be rich somewhere else but i guess better that way?

What i dislike about the ejk is that some settings are flashed and you can't do that diy at home so you can't change all settings. Thats kinda crappy. I wouldnt care if i had to use some old gcc version to compile the binary or whatever, i would just like the option for that so that there wouldnt be a tune PLUS the adjustments.

Edit if someone from dobeck is reading you could provide the firmware builder as a web service if you dont want people to read the source and thats the reason.

Last edited by dtrackermslazgromthailassi; 03-09-2020 at 07:20 AM.
Old 03-09-2020, 07:39 AM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by dtrackermslazgromthailassi
If i understood their marketing right the zones arent hard stop/start, but they form a curve based on the settings. That way it should be anyways. Like halfway between two zones is roughly half of either ones setting so you might need to up the both around it. And might be rich somewhere else but i guess better that way?

What i dislike about the ejk is that some settings are flashed and you can't do that diy at home so you can't change all settings. Thats kinda crappy. I wouldnt care if i had to use some old gcc version to compile the binary or whatever, i would just like the option for that so that there wouldnt be a tune PLUS the adjustments.

Edit if someone from dobeck is reading you could provide the firmware builder as a web service if you dont want people to read the source and thats the reason.
I guess the saying would be, "better rich than sorry". It is annoying that the flash tune cannot be changed by the end user and on top of that, the three adjustment zones do not offer much ability to fine tune.

Old 03-20-2020, 05:48 AM

Hey guys, been following these threads and The JH Motor Club KLX 250 series YouTube stuff.. Thank you both for your contributions! Klxter your contributions here are quite deep pervasive ... kudos. J Higgins cool vids on JH Motor Club for which like to shout out some recognition, you got a cool vibe and an interesting cross section of experience with your KLX! Not to mention we are about the exact same weight for performance comparison..205lbs !

I’ve currently got about 2k miles on a 2019 KLX 250 and am about to install The BB 351, FMF Megabomb, Q4 (3 slightly heavier clutch springs) with the latest EJK controller. I’ve got a KDX 220 snorkel but may experiment KDX snorkle, sans snorkle, lidless box.. I’m obviously highly interested in your work here. I don’t have as much to add here on a testing basis but could offer some variation of testing or tuning of a particular set up..

So, just let me know if I can be helpful and will anticipate any data, results or conversation on the topics..

Last edited by SDTRAILGER; 03-21-2020 at 01:23 PM.
Old 03-20-2020, 07:22 PM
1st Gear Member

SDTRAILGER, before you get too far into your build, there are lots of unanswered questions regarding fueling a 351 EFI. Very little data is available and J Higgens' dyno chart indicates that there is much more work to be done and many questions to answer.. The worst case scenario is that the stock injector is not capable of fueling a 351 - but this is completely unknown at this time..

If you have a dyno shop that will dyno tune your EJK, to your specifications, your charts and settings would set the stage for everyone else as well as give your bike the best power possible - Assuming they are successful.

Lidless airbox is the only option for max performance. Tuning specifications are to keep WOT AFR below 13:1 - which may end up being an "at all costs" situation if the EJK has a programming flaw that spikes Lean.

Old 03-21-2020, 05:35 AM

Thanks for the reply!... am understanding a bit more where we we are with the current EJK compared with how advanced/refined your tuning research went with the carb’d set ups.. (just reread, with greater perspective, your dyno tuning/Results with FMF System.) 13.1 AFR WOT critical and a slightly rich zone being acceptable here and there to keep critical zones 13.1. Looks like you also ran into a lean spike issue, albeit less pronounced..
So, we do need J Higgins dyno ‘after’ his adjustments he’s posted and ideally further refinement as needed/possible. We’ll also potentially need a Dobeck re-flash if we run into limitations on the current EJK 351 factory flash with whatever set up we are trying to tune.

So, am thinking I am prepared to try a set up of my own and start a new data pool of tune parameters.
..maybe I’ll test with the O2 sensor in place and see how the system jibes..

Last edited by SDTRAILGER; 03-21-2020 at 01:24 PM.

Quick Reply: New to the Forum... But My Videos Aren't