new exhaust review

Search this Thread

Old 06-23-2008, 01:22 AM
1st Gear Member
Default new exhaust review

picked up my fmf Q4 muffler, powerbomb head pipe and fmf/dynojet kit last friday. i had an offer from Finger Mullet (who lives close by) for some mechanical assistance, and i was too excited to even wait to meet up with him. it was really good to know that a fellow klx'er would reach out like that, and make the offer. knowing i had some back-up just a phone call or e-mail away gave this mechanical rookie some confidence. thanks FM. also, a lot of credit goes out to KF faq section for linking me to dirtsurfers mod day and the hmf forum regarding jetting a klx250. both had excellent write-ups and detailed pics. i read and re-read. i'm glad i tackled it myself. my confidence is soaring. next thing you know i'll be able to put air in a tire, or even change an air filter. just joking, i'm kinda handy. here's my advice on jetting. 1) go to the hardware store before you start and buy four M4x12mm socket head screws and four M4x16mm because you WILL strip the stock carbeurator screws on the top and bottom, and you WILL be pissed. 2) go easy drilling out the cap over the air or fuel screw. i broke a wood screw off in there, then broke off a 1/16 drill bit in that broken screw, then almost broke my boot off kicking the damn carb down the street i was so pissed. i finally knida pulverized out what was left of the cap with no damage to anything below. 3) if you have meaty hands, try to lose some weight, because it is pretty tight getting the carb back in. take a few stress relief breaks. repeat as necessary. in any event, the jetting is perfect, as far as i know, straight per the dynojet kit for sea level with airbox lid removed and full exhaust system. fmf has a work of art with this one. i'll admit the two brothers really looks good from the back, but this has to be equal (one mans opinion). the bends on the thick tubing are perfect. sound? again, seeing and listening to different exhausts for our bike on youtube (searching under klx250), i thought the 2Bro's sounded best (still do). this fmf is incredibly quiet at idle, then gets pretty loud on the gas. no complaints from me. i'm really digging it. i knew a real bike was in there waiting to get out. now it freely revs to redline, and PULLS in every gear. LOVE IT.

Old 06-23-2008, 01:35 AM
1st Gear Member
Default RE: new exhaust review

neanderthaler mod list to date: kenda trakmasters front and rear (maxxis desert IT rear soon), utah/ricochet skid plate, renthal bars, motion pro throttle, cycra pro bend hanguards, clarke green tank, above mentioned fmf jet kit and exhaust, ek chain, 13/47 gearing (pbi sprockets), deleted all of the following (i'm 90% off-road): turn signals front and rear, horn, kickstand kill switch, seat strap, rear rack, mirrors, and airbox lid. i used a rear fender from a klx 300, so i don't have any holes where the rack was. i use bel ray lubricants, and a notoil pre oiled air filter. at $12.95, it dosen't pay to wash filters anymore. thanks for listening.

Old 06-23-2008, 10:57 AM
1st Gear Member

Good to hear! The KLX is quite a different machine when opened up. Had I kept mine the FMF was my pipe of choice. I ran the stock 300 muffler for a long time and wanted the FMF for the smoother sound and it looks alot better than the stock can.

Old 06-23-2008, 11:22 AM
Da dirty moderator
1st Gear Member

sweet.... glad ya got it all done.... im a pro at taking out and reinstalling the carb.

Old 06-23-2008, 12:30 PM
1st Gear Member

Nice! Hoping to get my FMF system any day now.. Can't wait to get it on!

Old 06-25-2008, 10:55 PM

ORIGINAL: neanderthaler

... 1) go to the hardware store before you start and buy four M4x12mm socket head screws and four M4x16mm because you WILL strip the stock carbeurator screws on the top and bottom, and you WILL be pissed. ...
Thanks for the heads up. My Q4 muffler & Power Bomb header showed up in the mail today and I'm getting ready to install them (along with a KDX snorkle and re-jet, of course).

But, when I tried to get the screws at my local auto parts store, they asked me what pitch I wanted on the screws - extra fine, fine, or coarse. Any idea which ones I need? It will take a week to order them in, so I don't want to pull the carb apart to check what's on there now.

Old 06-26-2008, 12:03 AM
1st Gear Member

if you can wait a week to get this knocked out, you have much more patience than i do. as far as the pitch, i wish i knew. i got the only ones that home depot had. if i'm remembering correctly, after the M4 marking on the bag, it had the number 70, then the mm measurement. maybe someone who knows hardware better than i do would know if this "70" relates to the threads. wish i could be of more help. i would say, just be careful when you remove the small phillips head screws, but that's just not an option. you'll be really happy with your new fmf. i am.