New Clarke tank!

Search this Thread

Old 11-19-2007, 12:50 PM
1st Gear Member
Default RE: New Clarke tank!

On Saturday I emailed Clarke the same picture I posted in this thread and asked if the hole was going to be a problem. Now that it's Monday, we'll see if they respond.

Old 11-19-2007, 07:49 PM
1st Gear Member

As far as I know, only one other person besides myself has had a leaking problem with the Clarke tank, black color or otherwise.

My intent was to share information and not necessarily scare anyone off from purchasing a Clarke tank. In other words, just be aware of this problem that I had.

Adding a Clarke tank to my bike has been one of the most necessary mods that I have done -- I am very happy with the extra capacity and range offered.

Clarke's customer service has been very good and ensured that the situation was corrected.

In the email exchange below, Clarke states that the "pitting" or "bubbles" around the brass fitting is normal.

The leaking that I experienced did not occur right away and took weeks to develop.

I recommend the Clarke tank despite the leaking problem that I encountered. Yes, it was a headache and disappointing. Finally though, they ended up with a happy customer.

Dan

We are sorry to hear you are having a leak with this tank.
While small bubbles are common with roto-molding the leaking is indeed unusual.
Please return the tank to us with RA#1001 written clearly on the OUTSIDE of the box.

We will inspect the tank and replace it as soon as we get it back.

Please send it to:

Clarke Mfg. Co.
Attn: RA#1001
13388 S. Molalla Forest Rd.
Molalla, OR 97038

Thanks and again we apologize for the inconvenience.

Chris Roley
Clarke mfg co.
----- Original Message -----
To: sales@clarkemfg.com
Sent: Thursday, July 19, 2007 6:42 PM
Subject: Problem with KLX250S tank

Hello,

I recently purchased a gasoline tank for my KLX250S. First let me thank you for offerring such a product as the stock tank had such a small capacity.

I've had it installed for a couple of weeks now with no problems. Yesterday I noticed a drop of gasoline under my bike and investigated. I appeared that there was a leak coming from the area of the brass fittings on the underside of the tank. I suspected the o-rings (which I had reused) or the fuel line clamps.

Today, I went to the local dealer and got new o-rings and replaced the clamps. I'm still seeing seepage. However, I believe that it is coming from the around where the plastic tank joins the brass fittings. I took some photos so that you can see this too:

http://www.suncup.net/KLX250S/Clarke_tank/index.html

I also noticed some small pits in the plastic around the fitting (you can see one of these clearly in the middle photo), this may be where the leak is.

Dan Moore

Old 11-19-2007, 07:51 PM
1st Gear Member

LikeI Said mine was a ok until about a month later then I couldn't stop it. Mine looked just like that. The only thing was clarke wouldn't pay shipping back to them that kinda pissed me off it was there problem not mine but oh well.

Old 11-19-2007, 08:10 PM
1st Gear Member

I paid for shipping back the first time I returned the tank, but told them upfront that they should pay for the shipping the second time, which they did.

Old 11-19-2007, 10:25 PM
1st Gear Member

Had my Clarke tank for four months now. It is a natural colour, and I find it great. The bike has been down in the dirt at least a dozen times since fitting and the tank does not leak. I bought the tank mainly for weight saving and no key required. The tank is about 1lb lighter than stock, my bike is now over 20lbs lighter than stock and still road legal here in Australia.

05KLX250
+ 300kit, staintune, dynojet, etc etc

Old 11-19-2007, 11:08 PM
Admin
1st Gear Member

Does the clark tank have a regular gas cap with a breather tube? If so, and if you want to give it a good test, maybe try plugging up the fittings, put about a 1/2 tank of gas in, put the cap on, and then pressurize it a little with a hand pump using the breather tube to connect to the pump. If you can put a few lbs of pressure in the tank with some gas in it and it doesn't leak, then I'd say that's a pretty good test.

I wouldn't recommend an electric pump due to sparks from the brushes.

Old 11-20-2007, 01:05 AM
1st Gear Member

If the tank is off, you can plug the lines and as Nobrakes said put some air in the empty tank and submerge it in water...I saw them do that on TV when making automobile gas tanks and checking for leaks ..and since it's plastic it wouldn hurt it any..just look for bubbles.

Old 11-21-2007, 09:09 PM
1st Gear Member

I HAVE ANOTHER THING FOR YOU ALL TO CHECK !!!

I had a natural Clarke tank. It leaked. It's not just a black thing. When reinstalling the new one that JustGasTanks got out to me with absolutely NO HASSLE, I noticed that the leaking outlet was VERY close to the center support between the frame. I installed it as far back as I could and couldn't get a piece of paper in there. I looked closer and saw a slight rub mark on the paint from the first brass fitting (the hex part close to the tank). I bet that the first tank sat tight against that and the constant vibration worked the fitting loose in the plastic enough to 'start the stain'. I mounted my new tank back as far as possible but still notched that area so the fitting and hose aren't close anymore. So far so good. I have no doubt mine would have leaked again if I had mounted the new one the same.

MY THEORY ? More people are rubbing there because they designedthe tanktoo close to the motor mount support between the frame. Manymay eventually leak because of this. This is my theory only. It may be that my bike's center reinforcement (motor mounts to it) isn't perfect...a factory anamoly maybe ? Just be safe and check it out yourself, you don't have to remove anything to check it.

Old 11-21-2007, 11:01 PM
1st Gear Member

Mine didn't touch anything it. I did leak check mine and it was fine but thendid leak.

Old 11-22-2007, 10:44 AM
1st Gear Member

Then there is a manufacturing inconsistency somewhere. Maybe where the forward tabs are welded on to the frame. Those dictate the tank position with very little room for adjustment.

Anyways, it's a quick check that should be done around the whole tank.