New 250KLXs owners

Search this Thread

Old 11-28-2012, 07:18 PM
Your Humble Moderator/Admin
1st Gear Member

Also on the helmet...on any helmet, you want it to be a little hard to get on, not so tight that your face turns blue, but really snug. Half of the protection a helmet offers is to not have a space where your head can hit inside in a fall. The other half is the shell from the outside.

Old 11-28-2012, 11:44 PM
1st Gear Member

I have a street helmet and a dirt helmet. Back and forth to work I wear the street helmet, everything else dirt helmet. When i bought my helmets there were only a couple DS helmets out, and they were $400-$500. I wouldnt want a DS helmet for a lot of the off roading I do, but it might be perfect for what you are looking for.

I was told once that if your helmet fits right, you shouldn't be able to chew gum with it on without biting your cheeks.

Dan

Old 11-29-2012, 12:55 AM
1st Gear Member

Thanks for the reply guys.

Deej
Enjoyed looking at your ride report, but was a little disappointed you didn't make it all the way up to my old stomping grounds (Port Hardy, Port Alice). Good to see you got a couple of rain free days, they can be far and few between out there. Vancouver Island has some nice places, but boy! can it rain there.

Originally Posted by dan888
I was told once that if your helmet fits right, you shouldn't be able to chew gum with it on without biting your cheeks.

Dan
That's funny, I went for a little ride today and I was chewing gum! I wasn't wearing a full face helmet though, so no cheek biting.

Old 11-29-2012, 06:23 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by IDRIDR
I use my DS helmet all the time. Flip the shield up just a little and it gets good air, full open for lots of air. The AFX39 is also designed so that goggles can be worn with the shield up or down.

At freeway speeds, as said above, the visor can grab some air and twist on your head. If I were doing lots of high speed without trails planned, I would like to have a street helmet also.
The best thing about the fx39 is that it takes 2 minutes to convert it to a street helmet using the "key" they give you when purchasing the helmet. I keep it in my bike bag in case I need it, haven't yet though

Old 11-29-2012, 07:33 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by Pauls2ndblessing
The best thing about the fx39 is that it takes 2 minutes to convert it to a street helmet using the "key" they give you when purchasing the helmet. I keep it in my bike bag in case I need it, haven't yet though
So does converting it to a street helmet basically mean just removing the sun visor, or is there something else you do to it?

As I mentioned at the start of this thread, it has been many years since I owned and rode a motorcycle. So today I took another little ride in the morning and got an abrupt reminder about something I had sort of forgotten about, and that is just how strong a wind blast semi trucks can hit you with when you pass them on the highway. I wasn't anticipating it and went into a bit of a wobble when it hit me. Gota remember to stiffen up and give them a wider birth.

Last edited by Mucky_Waters; 11-29-2012 at 10:32 PM.
Old 11-29-2012, 08:26 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by Mucky_Waters
So does converting it to a street helmet basically mean just removing the sun visor, or is there something else you do to it?

As I mentioned at the start of this thread, it has been many years since I owned and rode a motorcycle. So today I took another little ride in the morning and got an abrupt reminder about something I had sort of forgotten about, and that is just how strong a wind blast semi trucks can hit you with when you pass them on the highway. I wasn't anticipating it and went into a bit of a wobble when it hit me. Gota remember to stiffen up and big them a wider birth.
Yep, it's 3 plastic twist off screws and a plug for the top hole in-case it rains so you don't get water in the helmet. It's really a great little helmet, I will buy another when I get tired of this color

I've not been on the hwy yet when a semi road past(been riding for 3 months, mainly back roads and off road) they do give quite a push when they pass even at 45mph.

Old 12-01-2012, 03:24 AM
1st Gear Member

@Mucky: BC is a fantastic place for dual sport riding! What part of the province are you in? I am next door in Alberta but I ride out to BC several times a year, both on the KLX and on street bikes.

Old 12-01-2012, 06:17 AM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by go cytocis
@Mucky: BC is a fantastic place for dual sport riding! What part of the province are you in? I am next door in Alberta but I ride out to BC several times a year, both on the KLX and on street bikes.
Hey Cytocis
I live in the Okanagan Similkameen area, just North of the small city of Keremeos. And yeah, no shortage of mountain trails and logging road around here, but of course they are quickly getting white with snow this time of the year. The closest dirt mountain road to me is less than a minute away, but I can only go about a mile up the road now before I hit snow, and in a week from now I might not even be able to make it that far. I 'm just glad I've been able to get a little trail riding in with my son before the brunt of winter hit us.
Looking forward to next year, my son should have his licence by then and we can go for some rides together.

Where in Alberta do you live?
The ultralight I sold, that paid for the bikes, ended up in Edmonton. The guy who bought it lives on some property just West of Edmonton where he'll be able to fly it right out of his back yard. I'm sure he'll have some fun with it, I know I did.
Here's a video I made from my ultralight showing the area where I live.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aHS6bErT-28

Last edited by Mucky_Waters; 12-02-2012 at 06:24 PM.
Old 12-01-2012, 12:37 PM
1st Gear Member

Nice vid Mucky. You have moved from aircraft to bikes; that's the opposite direction of most folks around here who start with bikes, then move to aircraft once they realize that bikes don't drake their bank accounts fast enough!

I am in Calgary so it's just a quick sprint to the boarder for me. I regularly head to Fernie, Golden, Revelstoke, & Invermere. I try to get out to the Okanagan as often as possible too. *Nelson is one of my faves.

Old 12-02-2012, 06:23 PM
1st Gear Member
Originally Posted by go cytocis
Nice vid Mucky. You have moved from aircraft to bikes; that's the opposite direction of most folks around here who start with bikes, then move to aircraft once they realize that bikes don't drake their bank accounts fast enough!

I am in Calgary so it's just a quick sprint to the boarder for me. I regularly head to Fernie, Golden, Revelstoke, & Invermere. I try to get out to the Okanagan as often as possible too. *Nelson is one of my faves.
Sound like you get around quite a bit Cytocis, since becoming a family man it seems my traveling exploits have become somewhat limited. Perhaps with the purchase of these bikes that will change a bit, and my son and I will get into some dual sport camping. If you ever make it out this way send me a PM maybe we can get out for a ride. I'll try and keep up with you.

Well, we ended up buying a couple Gmax GM11 helmets yesterday. Nobody around here sells the AFX helmets, so there was no way we could try one on. I did try a few other dual sport helmets on though, and the GMS11 fit the best, also the place we bought it had ones that were equipped with extra stuff for riding in cold conditions (double lens shield, breath block, and chin curtain), for the regular price.
Raining this morning, but it looks like it's clearing up, maybe I'll get a chance to try it out this afternoon.

Last edited by Mucky_Waters; 12-03-2012 at 07:10 AM.