New 250KLXs owners

Search this Thread

Old 11-26-2012, 03:50 PM
1st Gear Member
Default New 250KLXs owners

Howdy Folks
My teenage son, who will be turning 16 soon and recently expressed an interest getting a motorcycle to start out his driving career on. You see, here in BC when you get your L (learners drivers licence) , for cars, you must keep your learners status for one year and can't drive without a supervisor (a licensed driver over the age of 25) for that one year, after which you can apply for an N (New Driver), and you are legally able to drive by yourself. But with a motorcycle licence when you get your L you can apply for an N pretty much right away, and be driving by yourself. Long story short, he wanted a motorcycle.
I have been wanting to get another dual sport bike for years. Last one I had was over 25 years ago, and it was the last motorcycle I owned. Because time and money issues always come into these things I held off until this opportunity came up that I could get a couple bikes and share the sport with my son. To do it I had to sell my ultralight aircraft which was kind of sad, but considering I had many years of fun with it and wasn't using it nearly enough anymore to justify keeping it, I felt OK with selling it.

So here's where we are now, my son has a 2007 KLX250s, and I have a 2009 model. In the last couple weeks I have already put more time on that bike then I use put on my ultralight in a full year, and I have a hobby I can share with my son who seems to be picking up riding his motorcycle with considerable enthusiasm and skill considering he hasn't ridden a motorcycle since he was about 9 years old.
I've been lurking and reading threads in this forum and decided it was time to introduce myself since I'll probably be keeping theses bikes for a while and issues are bound to crop up.

Mucky

Old 11-26-2012, 05:10 PM
1st Gear Member

Welcome Mucky. Good for you and your son.

I tried to get mine interested but the motorcycle didn't grab him at all.

Old 11-26-2012, 06:18 PM
1st Gear Member

Welcome to the forums!

I'm kind of a black sheep around here for now, being KLX-less but that will be changing on the 8th as long as nothing unexpected comes up.

This is a great forum to be on and I've learned a lot about the KLX from them, can't wait to put the knowledge to work.

Riding with your son should be tonnes of fun, great bonding time, and a good learning experience before he gets his "New Driver" license.

Old 11-26-2012, 06:40 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by IDRIDR
Welcome Mucky. Good for you and your son.

I tried to get mine interested but the motorcycle didn't grab him at all.
Thanks for the Welcome IDR and Paul.

I have found it tough to find a common interest in anything with my two Sons ( I have no interest in computer games), that's why I jumped at this opportunity, and was so willing to sell my beloved ultralight. Unfortunately my older Son (17 yrs) says he has no interest in motorcycles. I hope that will change once the younger son gets out riding more in the spring. At least he's willing to haul his brothers bike out to the trails in his little pick-up.

Here's the younger son on his second time out on his bike.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HfYcZ3WUDg0

Old 11-26-2012, 07:37 PM
Your Humble Moderator/Admin
1st Gear Member

Hey Mucky, great to have you and your son here on the forums! Welcome indeed. I have an almost 16 year old, and while I can't afford to buy him a bike, he's certainly welcome to take over his mom's 2006 Yamaha XT 225. Great video of the young lad. What part of BC are you from? I have a ride report kicking around here somewhere in which I did a Vancouver dual sport trip back about 4 years ago. You might consider changing out the back sprocket on that thing and perhaps even the front one as well. It would be better for learning on trails especially. It's better to lose some top end speed than to be under-powered on the trails half way up a hill.

Old 11-26-2012, 09:30 PM
1st Gear Member

please get your son a full-face helmet...rocks, trees and branches are dangerous...klx250 is fun bike to work on....

Old 11-27-2012, 12:08 AM
1st Gear Member

My older son (now 15) wasn't too into it last year. We just went on our first desert trip on Friday and he's asking when the next trip is. Not sure what changed, but he may just have been too short for his CRF150 last year. I would have died if my dad got me a bike as a kid. I would have slept on the thing. I would have begged to ride all the time. Kids just aren't the same today. I had video games growing up, but always preferred toys that used gas. Maybe the Atari 2600 wasn't as addicting.

Old 11-27-2012, 02:08 AM
1st Gear Member

Deej
One of the bikes I was looking at was a Yamaha XT 225, but when I went to see it the kid that was selling it couldn't get it started. Hard to sell a bike if you can't get it to run. LOL
We live just North of Keremeos, if you know where that is? I use to live on the Island, I'd like to see your ride report.
As for changing the sprocket, that was actually what a buddy from work had suggested, and I've been reading about it here and elsewhere. Even discussed changing the front sprocket with my son. It makes sense, especially would help him since he tends to stall the bike starting out in first quite often. He certainly won't be needing the extra speed on the highway for some time.

ahnh full-face helmet and some other gear is on our list, but I won't buy helmets online without trying them first. No bike shops around here, so we have to make a trip to the big city to try on some helmets. That might not help though, a full-face helmet didn't help that poor guy in the https://www.kawasakiforums.com/forum...ick-eye-39297/ thread

Lotrat I know what you are saying about kids seem to not be the same today, but I was brought up totally different then my kids have been brought up, so it's hard to make a comparison. I was already moved out of the house by the time I was 16
I bought a little mini bike for my boys when they were 8-10 years old, they only seemed to ride it when I encouraged them to do so, they never rode it otherwise. Go figure???

Old 11-27-2012, 02:39 AM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by Mucky_Waters
ahnh full-face helmet and some other gear is on our list, but I won't buy helmets online without trying them first. No bike shops around here, so we have to make a trip to the big city to try on some helmets. That might not help though, a full-face helmet didn't help that poor guy in the https://www.kawasakiforums.com/forum...ick-eye-39297/ thread
Just watched that vid. Ugghh.

I wear glasses so liked the idea of a full face helmet with shield (dual-sport helmet). Picked up the AFX FX39 on TNC's recommendations. Then got another for the lady friend. Nice way to go and just around $125.

Name:  0613122014a-Copy.jpg
Views: 63
Size:  236.2 KB

Old 11-27-2012, 05:01 AM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by Mucky_Waters
...I won't buy helmets online without trying them first. No bike shops around here, so we have to make a trip to the big city to try on some helmets...
Check these guys out: Typhoon Helmets

Not sure what the policy is for shipping to Canada, but here in the US they will do one free exchange including shipping. May be worth a call or email. I bought 3 helmets from them and they all fit. It was nice to know I could get a free exchange if needed.

Quick Reply: New 250KLXs owners