New 2014 Ninja (possibly) with KLX250 engine

Old 03-14-2014, 11:56 AM
1st Gear Member
Default New 2014 Ninja (possibly) with KLX250 engine

Not sure if this was posted before, but here goes.

Single-Cylinder 2014 Kawasaki Ninja 250 Revealed - Motorcycle.com News

The engine is a liquid-cooled fuel-injected 249cc Single with a 72.0mm bore and 61.2 mm stroke. Kawasaki claims 27.6 hp at 9700 rpm and 16.7 ft-lb. at 8200 rpm from the 250SL
So this new bike will be released to only on Asian markets it seems. It also seems to share engine with the KLX250 (Same bore&stroke atleast). In the Ninja, it engine seems to be tuned differently though.

Sounds like the same engine doesn't it? Maybe a bit more peppy. Looks like it revs up to 12k!

I wonder if this new Ninja will have any new parts that will be interesting to KLX250 modders? Will we be able to use any of the new parts to get more performance out of our engines?

Edit:

Just found our this as well.
http://www.visordown.com/motorcycle-...-2n/24639.html

Possibly in 2015, new Kawasaki ER-2n patent in Europe that seems to share the same 1 cylinder engine.

Looks like Kawasaki isn't done developing on this engine yet.

Last edited by Nikolaj Lykke; 03-14-2014 at 02:12 PM.
Old 03-14-2014, 12:18 PM
1st Gear Member

hmm... they've done something to it if its putting down 26hp.

interesting.

Old 03-14-2014, 03:43 PM
1st Gear Member

It also revs much higher than a KLX!

I hope this opens up some new things. I imagine whatever modifications this version of the engine has + a big bore cylinder

Old 03-14-2014, 05:09 PM
1st Gear Member

My guess, higher compression and a better head, and with it of course better cams.

EDIT: my reading indicates the rev limiter is still 10.5k (based on written data and looking at the tach).

The 250SL Mono makes 28hp and weighs 151kg compared to the Ninja 300's 39hp and 172kg. A naked version was seen in spy shots in January.

Read more: http://www.visordown.com/motorcycle-...#ixzz2vxVExGjY

The ninja 300 does NOT make 39hp at the wheel (in all the in person dyno's I've seen at least, they were closer to 34hp at wheel). These numbers I'm guessing are at the crank...which means that the 28hp is really closer to 23hp at the wheel, which is consistent with the klx performance (after mods of course)

Last edited by RockabillSlapMatt; 03-14-2014 at 05:28 PM.
Old 03-14-2014, 05:40 PM
TNC
1st Gear Member

You'd just about bet that bike would have to be in secondary or 3rd world markets if it's actually a KLX based engine. With the Ninja 300 I can't see this bike competing realistically at all. Whatever claimed or real horsepower is on the 300, it will run a true 100 mph in relatively stock trim. One of the guys at our local motorcycle shop lost a 6-pack of exotic high dollar beer bet to a fairly heavy 300 owner who proved his stock bike ran 103 mph on gps. When that happened I looked on the web and saw some other owners could get their 300's up to 100 real speed. That little bike is amazing. I say little because when you see one sitting there, it's not much different looking from a 600 at first glance. For some odd reason I'd kind of like to have one.

Old 03-15-2014, 04:02 AM
1st Gear Member

I think it was pretty easy for Kawasaki to squeeze another 7hp out of a very under tuned & restricted KLX engine.

My guess is a larger throttle body, some head work, lumpier Cams, re-mapped fuel & advanced ignition timing....would easily get the extra power!

This engine would probably loose some low down grunt & be aiming for high end hp.....I'm betting the off-road boys on this forum would not be impressed with the SL's power delivery for the dirt!

But for us SuperMoto riders I think it would be great for the road.

Can't wait to bump into one of these bikes & show them what a 331 with 101Cams can do with 30hp+.....haha

Old 03-15-2014, 04:33 AM
1st Gear Member

Manufacturers tend to show crank figures. Looking at the 8200 rpm max torque figure indicates the engine is very much revamped for high rpm performance. Even so, my modded stock bore makes more torque at the crank.

Old 03-15-2014, 10:12 AM
1st Gear Member

Yeah these figures are obviously crank figures. KLX250 crank figures are about 22hp I believe and we all know they make closer to 17-19hp on a dyno when stock. I also agree that this bike is tuned for high rpm performance.

I personally dont want to lose the low end grunt of my KLX250 as I prefer to keep it as a dual sport. Still though, I hope that there will be some parts from this SL that I will be able to use. The throttlebody is definietly larger (34 vs 38 I believe). Hopefully, Kawasaki has done further research on the engine so we can all benefit from it....without losing low end grunt.

I know this forum has a lot of people who have done groundbreaking work on the KLX, I hope this will be the next stage

Old 03-15-2014, 03:36 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by Nikolaj Lykke
Yeah these figures are obviously crank figures. KLX250 crank figures are about 22hp I believe and we all know they make closer to 17-19hp on a dyno when stock. I also agree that this bike is tuned for high rpm performance.

I personally dont want to lose the low end grunt of my KLX250 as I prefer to keep it as a dual sport. Still though, I hope that there will be some parts from this SL that I will be able to use. The throttlebody is definietly larger (34 vs 38 I believe). Hopefully, Kawasaki has done further research on the engine so we can all benefit from it....without losing low end grunt.

I know this forum has a lot of people who have done groundbreaking work on the KLX, I hope this will be the next stage
I want to see the head design SOOOOOOO bad, if it's changed how I think it's changed...It plus the big bore kit and 101 cams could result in a real sleeper motor, 35hp or so (crosses fingers).

Old 03-15-2014, 03:46 PM
1st Gear Member

You and me both Matt!

Im also thinking perhaps something can be done about the terrible fuel economy with some of these new parts.

Oh well, for now its mostly dreaming and wishful thinking, but its interesting that Kawasaki hasn't given up on this engine.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: New 2014 Ninja (possibly) with KLX250 engine