new 09 klx250s owner

Search this Thread

Old 06-22-2008, 12:07 AM
1st Gear Member
Default new 09 klx250s owner

I have been reading up on mods I'd like to do and this websitehas been themost informative on the klx. My compliments to all thepeople that have preran all the things I am thinking about doing (that I learned here -the pics are great).
First thing was to lance the funky rear fender extension. Also removed the license plate reflectors, swing arm chain guide, seat strap, helmet lock, air box snorkel, steel handle bars, tool bag & tools, front brake line lower support, buddy pegs, warning decals, stock grips.
Installed OEM CR250R grips & safety wired on Tommaselli bars CR Hi bend. Did receive the recall notice on the stock grips. There was grip glue on both sides of the stock bars. oops! Of course the throttle was sticking.I had to use contact cleaner inside the throttle tube.
Oil was changed at 50 miles and looked really clean / clear amber color.
Left fork reflector mount bracket has a tab that uses the fork tube as the stop/ support for the reflector, could be a potential problem so I trimmed it off. Right fork reflector mount bracket isn't the same - no trimming needed.
Lowered the bike by raising the forks in the triple clamps & relaxed the shock springfor an inchreduction in height for the wife.
Scotts doesn't have plans to market a steering damper kit for this bike yet. But they will notify me when they do.Uh huh...
Going to chuck that catalytic pipe asap, looking for a stock klx300 pipe or an FMF Q4. Plus all the carb mods listed here.
The KLX has mega potential but at the moment its only a tad faster than a 24 year old stock 84 XL250R. If I didn't ride the TE450 I'd probably say its fast, I can say its smooth. Takes alot of revs& dumped clutch to get a wheelie tho.
Any one install a larger tank on this bike? Thanks Mike

Old 06-22-2008, 01:31 AM
1st Gear Member
Default RE: new 09 klx250s owner

Welcome....

Cool list.....Yup reflectors on mine have to go as well...I hate the seat strap as well..When I opened the tool pouch I was excited...Until I looked and seen in the last 50 years no technology has gone into nice tools with a new vehicle...yuck...The rear fender Im not sure on yet...Either remove it completelyor trim it...

I thought the same about the buddy pegs as well but actually used them today...I was at my buddys farm and he jumped on the back...lol...2 200lb guys on a KLx250.....The front tire was barely touching...Top speed without crashing 23mph....

But anyway Welcome aboard

Old 06-22-2008, 04:44 PM
1st Gear Member

Thanks F1, the klx gets great gas mileage but still needs a bigger tank so we aren't having to plan a route dependant on gas stations.Could carry a prestone bottle w/ gas likewhen prerunningbaja, but I'm sure the cops might say something about that. The tank shroudslookdifferent than inearlier years,so does a IMS or clarke tank fit on an 09? Are the frames the same for all years of the klx250(s)?
The bike is still a bit tall for the wife as she has layed it over. Going to put on some fat bars w/ perch adapters that will raise the bars to let the forks slide up in the triple clamps more. The 1 1/8" bars rise is less than stock so the bar height will remain close to the same.
I softened up the rear shock spring to lower the ride height but if there isn't any more adjustment lowering links or shock shortening may be in order. Shaving the seat foam is being looked into also.
Thanks for any info, Mike

Old 06-22-2008, 05:51 PM

Mike where in CA are you? Im in the Frazier Park area.

WD

Old 06-22-2008, 09:56 PM
1st Gear Member

No one has installed an aftermarket tank on an 09 klx yet? Bike must be to new. Hopefully IMS, Clarke, Acerbis somebody will help out.
I'm north of the international border WD. The weather is perfect for a ride right now..........Ciao, Mike

Old 06-23-2008, 03:09 AM
1st Gear Member

In an effort to make this bike more capable to ride I have been lowering the klx to less of a nose bleed altitude(for theverticallychallenged wife).

Pro Taper universal fat bar mounts & Tag cr hi bend bars allowed the forks to be raised1 1/8" above the top triple clamp. Less preload on the rear shock brought the rear end down about equally. If its not comfortable for her to ride the seat will be shaved, if still notconfident the rear shock will be shortened. But I'd like to avoid it so the bike can be put back to stock easily. She agrees that all the suspension travel will be needed when we hit the desert.

Engine mods have taken a back seat at this time but are being planned on in the future.

Hopefully flopping over (remember "Laugh In"?)canbe avoided in the future. MSF rider coursehas beentaken and passed, but the learning curve is stil steep. I plopped over in front of the Husky dealer once...bought a new mirror too.

Its that happiness on her face when shehops offher bike that makes it all worth it.Her enthusiasm to hop on and blast offon her quad
coming back all dusty and loving it seals the deal. Dual sports are a great way to get that stoked feeling back w/o a4 hour drive to the desert and back.

Old 06-23-2008, 05:18 AM
Your Humble Moderator/Admin
1st Gear Member

Hey RaceGass, welcome to the forums.

Old 06-23-2008, 08:03 AM
1st Gear Member

Hi all - new to this forum. From AUS, own a Husky wr360, streetfightered bandit 1200 and previously owned big bore thumpers.

Just bought a 09 klx and rode it 350km yesterday straight from the factory floor. Today its in bits (derestricting). Was still fun though, but my mates DR250 with race system had like twice the power because of the restricted nature of the little beast.

I have a 08 model acerbis tank, FMF Power Bomb header and a Q4 on the way from the US (should be here tomorrow). The tank fits with a bit of force - the stock radiator plastic protectors need to be trimmed back as they stick out a little to far - so yes the acerbis tank fits the 09 model. This weekend Ill post some pics.

Old 06-23-2008, 02:15 PM
Your Humble Moderator/Admin
1st Gear Member

Hey speedy, welcome to the forums from the land down under. There are getting to be a lot of members from your neck of the woods. Looking forward to your pics as I'm sure the 09 owners will be also. Later man.

Old 06-24-2008, 03:24 AM
1st Gear Member

Thanks Deej.This site is the best for the KLX250S, easier to find modifications info.

I'm looking forward to seeingSpeedyJims'09 w/ the acerbis tank. Thanks for the heads up SJ.Fosters beer is great.

KF site helping out again and again.

Found out that the Pro Taper Universal Fat Bar Kit #022821 is being recalled due to the allen bolts failing. Kit has printed on it "made in Taiwan". Outsourcing gone bad. Glad I used blue locktite and not red...

Dirt Bike mag has a nice write up on theKLX250S.Good comments, but no mods listed. Comparison w/ the more expensive (by a thou$$$) Yamaha WR250R nextmonth.

Quick Reply: new 09 klx250s owner