Needle Top Spacers

Search this Thread

Old 07-30-2010, 06:11 PM
TNC
1st Gear Member
Default Needle Top Spacers

OK...we basically all know that the spacers/washers on top of the DJ or other aftemarket needle clip is to take up the space that was supplied by the fat, fixed head of the stock OEM needle. That fat head on the OEM version or the needle clip and top washers fill that space in the white nylon piece that acts as the slide spring rest and needle holder...keeps the needle from moving up and down too much, outside of the movement required by the slide.

While preparing for a Colorado trip in a few days, I had the top of the carb off and found that there were no spacers on top of the needle. While I didn't put the original 300 DJ kit in this carb, I did change the clip position last year but obviously didn't even notice the lack of spacers. I've had 4 KLR600/650's with this type carb and DJ kits over the years and was aware of the need to space the top of the DJ needle. I just didn't pay enough attention when changing the needle position I guess, as I was assuming everything was to spec.

Here's the weird part...or at least what seems weird to me. I've been running this bike for close to a year. It's been out west to the desert, been to Moab, and ridden many, many times around my home area. The bike has run perfectly, idled smoothly, and gets great mileage. While I have no long, full tank mileage checks with all pavement, my off road mileage has had a low of 48 and high of 58. With the needle relatively loose in the slide for that 1 or so mm space, I'd think the needle would occasionally be rising a bit in the slide, causing a slightly rich condition. I've experienced no such condition that can be felt or seen in the fuel mileage, and the bike carbureted cleanly at just over 10000 feet in the LaSal mountains outside of Moab. Those spacers take up what looks like at least a full clip notch or so on the needle, and that's something you can usually feel and detect.

I don't get it. While I've never run a carb like this without the spacers or the OEM needle in the past for a heads-up comparison, I would have thought that this would be a big deal and something you could detect noticeably. Anyone else seen one of these CVK carbs run without the spacers and seen what the results were? I've put 2 spacers back in at this time which allows the needle to have that tiny bit of play like the OEM needle when the nylon holder is pushed down on it. The bike runs just like it did before...great. I don't know...maybe those spacers weren't as critical as I thought...but it obviously seems like the suggested course of action anyway.

Last edited by TNC; 07-30-2010 at 06:14 PM.
Old 07-30-2010, 10:48 PM
1st Gear Member

since the washers (dj) or spacer (300 needle) is on the top of the clip, missing it wouldn't raise or lower the needle to cause any tuning effect.

What would happen, which obviously isn't in your case, would be if the needle was low enough to sit tight into the NJ nozzle at closed throttle. Then it may "stick" for a mm until the slide pulled it out when it lifts. Ideally the needle should be loose enough that it can center in the nozzle but have min up and down play. I've seen bike where rocket scientist's armed with internet tips and advise had them shimmed tight and there was premature wear on the NJ nozzle from the needle rubbing,

Old 07-31-2010, 12:55 AM
TNC
1st Gear Member

Rim, I don't know...and that's kind of the point, isn't it...LOL! I agree on the issue of tightening the needle into the holder by stacking too many washers in there...not good...some "float" is necessary. But without those washers to take up some of the slack above the needle clip on an aftermarket needle, it just seems like the needle would be too free to float up and down more than is optimal.

Now I sound like I'm arguing with myself. But really, the stock needle has that thick head to take up space in the bottom of that nylon needle holder, and DJ sends washers to take up that space on their kit. But again, maybe it's not as big a deal as it seems. I sure didn't detect any difference, and that surprised me. Dumb and happy, I always say.

Old 07-31-2010, 02:03 AM
1st Gear Member

I'd add the washers next time your in there even though it's probably fine Radio shack assorted washers, If I remember they are the 2nd to the smallest in the pack. .020", just make sure they fit the white needle holder, they usually do on most bikes.

Old 07-31-2010, 03:04 AM
TNC
1st Gear Member

Now see there, Rim...you didn't read my Encyclopedia Brittanica length story.

But seriously, I did put it back together with the correct washer spacing, and it ran fine...just like it did before. And you're right to point out the washer diameter. After digging through my washer stash, I found quite a few small ones that were just the tiniest bit too large and would hang on that recess in the nylon holder.