Need your opinions.... found a new problem... UPDATE

Search this Thread

Old 04-26-2007, 04:41 AM
1st Gear Member
Default RE: Need your opinions.... found a new problem...

damn! i didn't even think of the missing chunk. not good man not good at all. i'm wondering how long that has been like that? have you been riding it a lot lately? has there been any sign that something was wrong? something must have happened to cause that. what could cause a chunk like that to break off?
i'd be curious to hear some opinions.

Old 04-26-2007, 11:59 AM
Da dirty moderator
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Nobrakes

When you say fully extended, did you remove the center bolt first? Because if not, it would fully extend as you removed it. My main concern would be where that missing piece. Certainly it's within the right side cover somewhere but you wouldn't want that to get wedged or jammed in between some moving parts like the cam chain and sprocket, clutch, and so forth. What might be an hour job if you get it taken care of right now could turn into a big mess later if you let it go.

As for your dealer, if you don't feel comfortable doing the work yourself, call around. I'd be willing to drive up to two or three hours to get to a good dealer, one that you can trust, and can work you in without it taking a week.
I removed the center bolt first... so you guys are thinking i should take it back soon..... well its gonna have to be after the weekend... who knows how long it has been like that...

Old 04-26-2007, 12:25 PM
Da dirty moderator
1st Gear Member

Well bike bandit says:

12048: TENSIONER-ASSY 541618-001 $72.04

92057: CHAIN,CAM,92RH2010 628611-001 $87.15

That little tensioner is 72$??? man... for sure going back to the dealer, and ill ask him how much it would be to get a new cam chain installed....

Old 04-26-2007, 05:17 PM
1st Gear Member

Thats strange, How could that break?
What are you doing to that poor bike?

Old 04-26-2007, 05:56 PM
1st Gear Member

Eric,
Remember the ticking noise you complained about after they fixed your bike the last time? I think you just found the noise. It took more force than a loose cam chain to break that housing. If they installed your tensioner while it was already extended, it may have put too much tension on the chain. At least until the guides wore down enough to let it all relax a bit. How does your oil filter look? Any rubber in it? I would want to see the guides and chain replaced along with a complete disassembly of the cases until that little broken piece was found and removed. I would ask to see the part. If you fix it yourself, you take on the responsibility for the whole job. Since you have a warranty, I'd sure want them to fix it.
Man. I'm sorry you're dealing with this now, at the start of the season. Maybe they'll hurry it up since it's what we call a "recheck." ("Comeback,"to the old school mechanics.) Be nice, but be firm.

Old 04-26-2007, 08:51 PM
1st Gear Member

If the tensioner was fully extended, then as Shadetree says, other parts have probably worn to compensate, so its probably more than just the tensioner assembly. I'm guessing that the missing chunk hasn't done any additional damage YET, but if it got bounced around and got caughtin the wrong place, it could do a lot of damage real quick (e.g. not to scare you, but if it got stuck between the cam chain and crankshaft gear, the chain could snap, leaving valves open, and breaking a valve or punching a hole in the piston). The other significant question is "What caused it to break in the first place ... maybe the tensioner breaking IS the secondary damage.

If I could, I'd have it looked at by the dealer.

EDIT: On second thought, the chain probably wouldn't snap, the cast aluminum chunk would get chewed and crushed instead, but it could cause the chain to skip a tooth - specially since the chain tensioner mechanisms might be compromised - and your valve timing would still end up being off, etc.

Old 04-27-2007, 03:24 AM
1st Gear Member

I would definetly ask for the missing chunk when you get it repaired. I am kinda with shadetree I think this was caused when the bike was reassembled on your past repairs.

Old 05-15-2007, 09:12 AM
Da dirty moderator
1st Gear Member
Default RE: Need your opinions.... found a new problem... UPDATE

Ok well i dropped my bike of on April 30.... still dont have it... well there is good news, bad news and more bad news.... Bad news 1. they are still waiting on parts...... good news, they are now replacing the whole top of my motor..... bad news 2, might not have my bike back in time for the northeast ride...... I sure hope i do though, the mechanic ordered a couple valve shims and the tensioner and im guessing got them installed and it was still making alot of noise, so i had my wife call yesterday to see what is up with it and he said they are waiting on parts, and that they are replacing the whole top end of my motor. Im not sure what all he is replacing, im guessing the head, cams, timing chain, valves,not sure about the cylinder or the piston, probably not. At first my wife told me they are waiting on parts, and i was really pissed then she said what they were waiting for, then i felt better. So hopefully after i get it back it will be the way its supposed to be, and that 290$ extended warranty was well worth it and already paid itself off....I am really hoping i get it back by the northeast ride.... how bad would that suck, im the one who started and organized it all and i wouldnt be able to go.... but i dont wanna think about that....

Old 05-15-2007, 05:11 PM
1st Gear Member

sorry to hear about that. did they have any idea when the parts would arrive?

Old 05-16-2007, 01:04 AM
1st Gear Member

EMS best of luck on the bike, ya got a week and a half right? I would seriously consider another (third or 4th for you) bike shop...... either you got a lemon klx or the shop is just making things worse. I don't know. [:@]

Quick Reply: Need your opinions.... found a new problem... UPDATE