Need info on handguard install

Search this Thread

Old 07-17-2007, 05:52 PM
1st Gear Member
Default Need info on handguard install

Ok, I read somewhere here about drilling out the plug with a drill to install hand guards. That I can handle no problemo but what is the neatest way to cut the ends off of the grips?? I don't want to remove more than necessary and don't want the throttle to bind etc...Anyone have any pics of how they did it?
Thanks,
db

Old 07-17-2007, 07:52 PM
1st Gear Member
Default RE: Need info on handguard install

If I wait for you guys to help I won't get anything done. I found this link and thought I would share it although it uses Tusk hand guards, the procedure should be the same.

http://www.bluepoof.com/motorcycles/...sk_handguards/

And for the technical minded that like to buy tools, here is a Motion Pro Grip Cutter that could make for a neat job. (Anyone got one they used once and want to sell it cheap?)

http://www.amotostuff.com/thestore/prods/08-0335.html

HTH,
db

Old 07-18-2007, 01:36 AM
1st Gear Member

thebest way to deal with those stock bars is to take them off. you don't have to spend huge money on renthals. moose has a good bar for $50 the msr bars are good too and are a bitless expensive. you'll end up replacing the stocks anyway the first good ****ter you take.( just my 2 cents)

Old 07-18-2007, 03:30 AM
1st Gear Member

Tusk aluminum handlebars are only $24.99 at www.rockymountainatv.com

Old 07-18-2007, 03:33 AM
1st Gear Member

If its not too late, I'll give you my 2 cents. When I used my dremmel to cut off the end of the throttle (like they did in your link) it melted it a bit and caused it to stick. I messed around (butchered it) and now it works fine, and the rubber grip hides my handy work. I just used a hacksaw with my brothers and it worked better.

Drilling out those plugs at the ends were a bitch too...i probably would have just bought new bars had i known how dumb those were, but i guess it was good practice?

Cheers

Old 07-18-2007, 03:53 AM
1st Gear Member

I put some Renthal grips on mine. The variety that I bought all ready has the hole cut out for the bark busters. I did have to modify the throttle tube to make the right one fit. The stock throttle tube has a raised ring on the inside which fits inside of the recess in the stock grip. I just dremel'ed it down smooth. The grip is a little too long for the throttle tube and about 1/4" of the end doesn't cover the tube, but covers the bar. This hasn't been a problem with the throttle sticking there, but just in case I've dabbed a little bit of grease in there.

Also running Renthal bars.

Old 07-18-2007, 02:03 PM
1st Gear Member

Its not too late....didn't start yet. I am not even sure if I have a 5/8" drill bit with the shaft turned down to fit a 1/2" drill. I hate to change the bars when there is nothing wrong with these (yet). But the links to the Tusk bars etc makes me feel better as I just spent a bunch on other mods...(other bike). But what the heck is the best way to figure out what bend you want to order[sm=insomnia.gif] ?? Especially seeing the bike is my wifes and she wouldn't know (I don't think anyway). Anyone have a good way to narrow down the choices?
Thanks,
db

Old 07-18-2007, 02:24 PM
1st Gear Member

db,

(1) Go to www.rockymountainatv.com. (2) On the left hand side of the page, under Terms and Info, click on "handlebar measurements". (3) Measure your stock bars. (4) Find the brand you are interested in the chart and compare measurements. (5) Decide what you want based on your needs.

Old 07-18-2007, 04:01 PM
1st Gear Member

Thanks Tom, thats some good info...I have been to that site a few times and ordered from them 3 times already and I guess I never noticed that part cause I wasn't worried about handlebars at the time. That will make the job easy to decide how to get close to stock. Now if she wants something special its probably best to decide after seeing someone elses bike or maybe get her hands on some at the dealer...
[sm=icon_cheers.gif]
db

Old 07-18-2007, 11:42 PM
1st Gear Member

why dont you just use a tap and cut threads into the end of the bar? Then all you have to do is screw the bolt in it should take you all of 10 minutes. Thats what i did. It was easy

Quick Reply: Need info on handguard install