Need advice on buying a slip-on exhaust

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-2012, 03:53 PM
1st Gear Member
Default Need advice on buying a slip-on exhaust

I think adding a slip-on exhaust will be the only engine mod I'll do, at least for now. I'd like something that will give me a little more power with a throatier sound but not louder then the stock pipe. Price is also an issue, I'd like to get the most inexpensive one I can find that meets my needs.

The only ones I've looked at so far are the FMF Powercore 4 and Q4. However, it's hard to understand the differences from the limited info on the FMF site. Can someone tell me the real differences between these two? Is there any difference in gas mileage after adding a muffler?

Also, is installation as simple as unbolting the stock exhaust and bolting a new one on? Will re-jetting be required?

Last edited by Brieninsac; 02-20-2012 at 03:56 PM.
Old 02-20-2012, 04:18 PM
1st Gear Member

No after market pipe will be as quiet as stock. The Q4 is not overly loud. The powercore 4 is loud and no spark arrestor. Cheapest slip on is the DG O Series. It is $209 msrp, and has a spark arrestor. Jetting is always a good idea with a slip on. Install is easy as unbolt, bend the passenger peg guard and bolt on the new pipe. Mileage is best with a totally stock bike and seems to get lower with the amount of mods you do as well as how you ride. With just a slip on your mileage should not change much.

Old 02-20-2012, 04:27 PM
rlj
1st Gear Member

Sound Comparison FMF Q4 vs. FMF Powercore 4 - YouTube

I installed the quite core insert on the Powercore 4 and it reduced the sound level almost equivalent to the Q4. On the video the sound on both pipes sound similar, in person the Powercore 4 is REAL loud without the insert.

Old 02-20-2012, 05:42 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by rlj

I installed the quite core insert on the Powercore 4 and it reduced the sound level almost equivalent to the Q4. On the video the sound on both pipes sound similar, in person the Powercore 4 is REAL loud without the insert.
How much of a difference do you think the Quiet insert makes? Any idea on cost? Thanks!

Old 02-20-2012, 07:08 PM
1st Gear Member

My Powercore 4 came stock with the spark arrestor inside it. It's loud but less than some of the other choices.

Old 02-21-2012, 12:56 AM
rlj
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by Brieninsac
How much of a difference do you think the Quiet insert makes? Any idea on cost? Thanks!
In my opinion it makes a big difference. On my decibel app it lowered it to around 98 or 99 from 105. Just 1 or 2 decibels over the Q4. I forgot what I paid for the pipe, I ordered it from Dennis Kirk. I'm thinking it was around $300 or so. The insert I ordered from FMF directly. The one Dennis Kirk sent was the wrong part number. I believe the quiet core insert was around $25.

Old 02-21-2012, 02:13 AM
1st Gear Member

From what i saw on the DG site the O series comes with a quiet core insert. If the O series was out a year ago I may have given it a go.

Old 02-21-2012, 12:46 PM
Super Moderator
1st Gear Member

Nothing wrong with Dennis Kirk; great variety of parts and accessories, but I think they are usually on the high side (no pun intended) of cost. Might try Motorcycle Accessory Warehouse, Ron Ayre, Competition Accessories. It saves to price shop.
(Do we have any site sponsors who could help??)

Old 02-21-2012, 06:31 PM
1st Gear Member

Amazon.com

Old 02-22-2012, 03:07 AM
1st Gear Member

Thanks for the info. I ordered the Q4 off Amazon for $291 with free shipping. Too good of a deal to pass up.

Quick Reply: Need advice on buying a slip-on exhaust