My Winter Project

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-2012, 02:18 PM
1st Gear Member

even though you made her beautiful,and have many neccesary aftermarket upgrades, Im afraid they tend to not add value to the average joe.....to another klx'er it may be another story.

Old 03-13-2012, 03:02 PM
Da dirty moderator
1st Gear Member

Sweet!!!!!!!

Old 03-13-2012, 03:07 PM
Super Moderator
1st Gear Member
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by Subasaki
even though you made her beautiful,and have many neccesary aftermarket upgrades, Im afraid they tend to not add value to the average joe.....to another klx'er it may be another story.
OK, in terms of dollars and cents, you may arguably have a point, Sub. If you want a bike that "is just a beater" and ignore oil changes or other maintenance, and thrash it to $hit as many people do with their 4 and 2-wheel vehicles; great. You'll be replacing your "average joe" bike to which you have "not added value," in just a few years time. If you sell said "average joe" bike, you will get "average joe" money. I would not wish to buy an "average joe" beat-to-$hit bike.
PERSONALLY? I take care of my vehicles and respect others who do as well, for a few reasons. Keeping a vehicle in top-shelf condition is ecologically smart, makes for a safe vehicle, is aesthetically pleasing, is less likely to leave you (or your loved ones) stranded, is less likely to attract attention of law enforcement, and gives me the PERSONAL peace of mind that I KNOW "every nut and bolt" on the vehicle. (Old Land Rovers force this education process upon you, but that's another story. It becomes a habit...)

I think what Mustang has done actually DOES add value in many ways. Sure, you might not get (ALL) that money back out of it when (or IF) you sell it, but that's not the point.
Well done, Mustang. Beautiful ride.

Old 03-13-2012, 03:45 PM
Administrator
1st Gear Member

It is tough putting a $ figure onto a ride that has been meticulously gone through and upgraded beyond factory. the 5500 miles is non-existent to me since everything is new and improved. I would say a new bike price plus some extra for the other goodies.

The ride turned out great! Get some riding time in and enjoy it.

Old 03-13-2012, 04:34 PM
1st Gear Member

You did a great job but the increase in real value will be to you alone, sure it's worth more now than before but it's a 6 year old bike and the only way to get out of it what you have put into it is ride the heck out of it and be proud of it.

Old 03-13-2012, 04:38 PM
1st Gear Member

You do need to invest in some quality radiator guards like unibiker or such.

Old 03-13-2012, 04:39 PM
Super Moderator
1st Gear Member

Yep, and my ZX9 is 17 years old, and my Rover is 13 years old....

I would leave for Alaska on either one of them TODAY.

...whoa; sorry for the blood pressure spike. It's back to normal now. Mustang, I understand and appreciate your OCD. What is routine maintenance for most folks is borderline neglect to us. "Turn-the-key-and-go" people cause us to have seizures. Sorry for the verbal lash, Sub; nothing personal.
I'll keep my "old $hit" and be using it when most of you guys are on your next 2nd or 3rd bike...

Last edited by jeffzx9; 03-13-2012 at 05:09 PM. Reason: I'm an old cranky b-tard...
Old 03-13-2012, 05:15 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by jeffzx9
OK, in terms of dollars and cents, you may arguably have a point, Sub. If you want a bike that "is just a beater" and ignore oil changes or other maintenance, and thrash it to $hit as many people do with their 4 and 2-wheel vehicles; great. You'll be replacing your "average joe" bike to which you have "not added value," in just a few years time. If you sell said "average joe" bike, you will get "average joe" money. I would not wish to buy an "average joe" beat-to-$hit bike.
PERSONALLY? I take care of my vehicles and respect others who do as well, for a few reasons. Keeping a vehicle in top-shelf condition is ecologically smart, makes for a safe vehicle, is aesthetically pleasing, is less likely to leave you (or your loved ones) stranded, is less likely to attract attention of law enforcement, and gives me the PERSONAL peace of mind that I KNOW "every nut and bolt" on the vehicle. (Old Land Rovers force this education process upon you, but that's another story. It becomes a habit...)

I think what Mustang has done actually DOES add value in many ways. Sure, you might not get (ALL) that money back out of it when (or IF) you sell it, but that's not the point.
Well done, Mustang. Beautiful ride.
what I meant is alot of people are scared away by aftermarket stuff....

Old 03-13-2012, 05:22 PM
Super Moderator
1st Gear Member

Sorry, man. Didn't mean to jump. Good point.

Old 03-13-2012, 06:05 PM
1st Gear Member

Sadly, few people would pay more for all the work you put into it. Personally, however, when I buy used, I LOOK for owners who care for their toys like you do.

It's rare to find something in great shape, because to some people, a puddle of fuel under the bike qualifies as "excellent condition". You never know what you'll find until you show up in person to look at it. By then, some unappreciative schmuck has already bought it for his spoiled kid who's going to completely trash it in about 2 weeks time.

Quick Reply: My Winter Project