Kawasaki Forums

Kawasaki Forums (https://www.kawasakiforums.com/forum/)
-   KLX 250S (https://www.kawasakiforums.com/forum/klx-250s-71/)
-   -   My Winter Project (https://www.kawasakiforums.com/forum/klx-250s-71/my-winter-project-37128/)

mustang 01-17-2012 07:06 PM

My Winter Project

5 Attachment(s)
A while ago, I mentioned in another thread that I was going to freshen up my '06 KLX. It was starting to look long in the tooth, so after some thought over some brews, I decided to do a frame-up makeover on the old girl. It needed a few bearings and new fork seals, so I'd have a lot of it apart anyway. The engine ran perfectly, so it wouldn't cost a lot either.

I realize that for what this bike is, this is a little overboard. It's just a little dual sport that isn't worth crap used. But I like the bike and I like doing this sort of thing. So I got the tools out.

DISCLAIMER: Some people think a dirt bike only has "character" if it looks like it was dragged through a swamp, then thrown down a flight of stairs. To them I say move along, there's nothing to see here. :D Like Deej, I like a clean bike.

So this is what I started with. My 2006 KLX250S; 340 kit, Mikuni TM36, my own headpipe/Supertrapp exhaust, suspension resprung and re-valved by Moto Pro, plus loads of other mods...

Attachment 13600

Attachment 13601

After draining all the fluids, I began tearing her down. I used a ton of freezer bags to keep everything labeled and together. I also labeled the wiring harness and kept notes on what plugs into what.

Attachment 13602

Attachment 13603

Attachment 13604

I wanted to powder coat the frame, swingarm, rack, and other parts like the footpegs and the kickstand. I decided to make it look more like the 2012 KLX and other new Kawasaki's. The swingarm would still be silver, but the frame and other parts would be black. I boxed everything up and took them to the powder coater.

While the frame parts were at the powder coater, I basically scrubbed, cleaned, and/or polished every part that came off. No sense in having a pretty frame and everything else looking like crap.

mustang 01-17-2012 07:23 PM

11 Attachment(s)
It took about 2 weeks, but I got the frame and other parts back from the powder coater.

Attachment 13589

Since the engine was kind of in my way, I hurried up and installed it back in the frame.

Attachment 13590

Next, I put new bearings, collars and seals in the swingarm, then mounted it in the frame.

Attachment 13591

Attachment 13592

Attachment 13593

The triple clamps I decided to paint. Anodizing cast aluminum is hit-or-miss. Blacks sometimes come out as purples. I used Eastwood aluminum radiator paint in a 20% black. Since the triple clamps aren't a high-wear area, it will work fine. Then I put in new headset bearings and installed the triple clamps.

Attachment 13594

Attachment 13595

Attachment 13596

Next, the footpegs, swingarm linkage, and wiring harness went back on.

Attachment 13597

Attachment 13598

Attachment 13599

The wiring harness has to go on now because it runs under other parts like the airbox.

Matasickle 01-17-2012 07:28 PM

Wowza.. I am keeping an eye on this thread!

mustang 01-17-2012 07:40 PM

6 Attachment(s)
I now understand how Kawasaki puts carbs in KLXs. It's pretty easy with nothing in the way. ;)

Attachment 13583

Next, the inner rear fender, airbox, battery box and shock were mounted. The left Works Performance frame guard had to be mounted because the swingarm bolt runs through it.

Attachment 13584

Attachment 13585

The radiators were next on the list. When I cleaned them up, I was amazed at how much crud came out of the fins, even though they looked clean.

Attachment 13586

Attachment 13587

Attachment 13588

ol'klx-er 01-17-2012 07:50 PM

Niiiice!!!

mustang 01-17-2012 07:52 PM

4 Attachment(s)
I then moved on to the forks. The seals were weeping, even after cleaning them out with a piece of plastic. I wanted to change their color too. When I tore them down, the Teflon on the inner bushing was a little messed up, so I got new inner and outer bushings, seals, and dust covers.

I sent the upper fork tubes out to be anodized black. They turned out well.

Attachment 13579

All ready to be reassembled. I don't have a dampening rod holder, so I used my impact wrench to zip the cartridge back in. Yes, I know the upper fork tube is upside down in the picture. I don't know why I didn't catch that before I took the picture. The cartridge has a Moto Pro shim stack, that's why it's green and purple.

Attachment 13580

The forks back on the bike.

Attachment 13581

Attachment 13582

jeffzx9 01-17-2012 07:56 PM

THAT is nice!!! Excellent photos. Keep us updated on the project. My compliments on your workspace, too. ;)

Andy1321 01-17-2012 08:14 PM

This is awesome! If I run into time, money and mechanical knowledge I want to do all of this!!! This really does look great so far, I am following your post.

mustang 01-17-2012 08:24 PM

2011 Fork Protectors on a 2006

8 Attachment(s)
One thing I wanted to change was the fork protectors. I wanted black ones, but didn't like idea of getting '93 KX125 protectors, mainly because I also wanted to route the brake hose on the inside of the fork leg like every other bike. I took a look at a new KLX at a dealership, and figured mounting the new style fork protectors wouldn't be all that difficult. So I went to ronayers.com and broke out my credit card.

Attachment 13571

The stock fork protector is on the left (obviously), while a new 2011 KLX250S fork protector is on the right. Yes, they are radically different.

Attachment 13572

The 2009 and up fork protectors each have 3 bolt holes, with only the front one lining up with any of the threaded holes in the '06 fork legs. Since they don't use a slider, it's not enough to just drill a hole in the protector to bolt on the side. The protector will just flop back onto the fork leg.

First I took a piece of clear plastic and bolted to the post cast on the side of each fork leg. Then I mounted up the protector and traced the outline onto the plastic with a Sharpie. After cutting the outline of the plastic, I used that as my template to cut aluminum pieces. I used 1/8", 6061 aluminum.

Attachment 13573

After finishing the part, I could pick up 2 bolt holes on the fork protector, while mounting it to one bolt hole on the fork leg. I needed a 3/8" shim on the front of each fork protector to make everything line up.

Attachment 13574

Attachment 13575

The aluminum bracket can then be bolted to the fork protector, and only the center bolt needs to be removed to unmount them. I had drill a hole in each fork protector to be able to get to the allen bolt.

Attachment 13576

Attachment 13577

I went back to the Kawi dealership and measured a 2011 to make sure my fork protectors fit just like they do on the new bikes. Everything checked out. They don't flop around or lay back on the fork legs either.

Attachment 13578

I'll have more to add in the coming weeks. I'm waiting for some parts to arrive and time to install them.

bearcat 01-18-2012 03:25 PM

Wow! Mustang, that is a work of art. Keep up the great work!:cool: