My New MX Bike

Search this Thread

Old 12-14-2008, 11:21 PM
1st Gear Member
Default My New MX Bike

A buddy of mine recently purchased a 08 CRF450R and another bought a CRF450X. Both very nice bikes. They found an MX track about 40 miles away and wanted to go ride. Luckily the weather cooperated yesterday and it got up to 60 degrees.

My dilema was that I would be riding the lowly KLX and have never ridden a real MX track. There was no way that I could back out since part of the reason they wanted dirt bikes was because I had one. It sounded like fun anyway, and if I got smoked, had plenty of excuses lined ahead of time.

Turns out, I had severly underestimated the capability of this little bike. It ripped, and was more than capable of everything that I threw at it. It would get a little loose in the corners but think that was mainly due to the stock rubber, soon to be replaced. It pulled hard everywhere and I was flying all over the place. By the end of the day, was getting over half way across what was probably a 50-60 table top. Still have alot to learn but can't wait to get back out there.

One other note is that all of the upgrades that I have put into the bike were all a benefit in these riding conditions. Have the new tires on the way and will start working to lighten the bike, and myself over the winter.

Attached Thumbnails My New MX Bike-mxbike.jpg   My New MX Bike-track.jpg  
Old 12-14-2008, 11:24 PM
1st Gear Member

Yes mate! Green beatin' down the reds.

Old 12-14-2008, 11:26 PM
1st Gear Member

im the same way right now, after death valley in nov and johnson valley yesterday im super impressed with the bike. ive done 300 mile days on slab and have kept up with ktms in the desert, **** can even pass drz in the long strights, super glad i picked it up.

Old 12-15-2008, 12:10 AM
1st Gear Member

I had mine on a track too, the bike did well. The longest jump on the track I was clearing almost as much as the experienced guys.
Definetly fun. The bike is well capable.

Old 12-15-2008, 05:21 AM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by WestOzKLX
Yes mate! Green beatin' down the reds.
CRF450 vs. KLX250S ..... Green beatin down red? 56HP vs. 18? ....pssssh, please

Thats like putting a tiger up against a canary
________
MOTORCYCLE TIRES

Last edited by JasonFMX; 03-29-2011 at 08:32 AM.
Old 12-15-2008, 08:34 AM
1st Gear Member

Glad to hear you had some fun! That's what it's all about, dude. No need for excuses or competition. Just go out and have fun riding!

Old 12-15-2008, 11:11 AM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by JasonFMX
CRF450 vs. KLX250S ..... Green beatin down red? 56HP vs. 18? ....pssssh, please

Thats like putting a tiger up against a canary
Yeah but the canary could out fly marry poppins and beat stephen hawking in a game of chess! and yes i have been drinking...
________
Paxil lawsuit information

Last edited by foambullets; 05-09-2011 at 06:27 PM.
Old 12-15-2008, 04:10 PM
cls
1st Gear Member

We already know the rider is the key ingredient. The color of the bike is far secondary.

Old 12-15-2008, 05:41 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by johnnyz62
A buddy of mine recently purchased a 08 CRF450R and another bought a CRF450X. Both very nice bikes. They found an MX track about 40 miles away and wanted to go ride. Luckily the weather cooperated yesterday and it got up to 60 degrees.

My dilema was that I would be riding the lowly KLX and have never ridden a real MX track. There was no way that I could back out since part of the reason they wanted dirt bikes was because I had one. It sounded like fun anyway, and if I got smoked, had plenty of excuses lined ahead of time.

Turns out, I had severly underestimated the capability of this little bike. It ripped, and was more than capable of everything that I threw at it. It would get a little loose in the corners but think that was mainly due to the stock rubber, soon to be replaced. It pulled hard everywhere and I was flying all over the place. By the end of the day, was getting over half way across what was probably a 50-60 table top. Still have alot to learn but can't wait to get back out there.

One other note is that all of the upgrades that I have put into the bike were all a benefit in these riding conditions. Have the new tires on the way and will start working to lighten the bike, and myself over the winter.
If you're gonna be on a track, upgrade the springs. You learn to ride well enough, you can keep up with those high tech MX bikes.

Old 12-15-2008, 10:35 PM
1st Gear Member

We were all just kind of feeling things out and having fun. Either 450 would stomp the 250, no questions. We swapped bikes off and on all day and the KLXs advantage was in smooth power delivery and ease of handling. The 450's and especially the R were overpowered at least in my hands, and would jump out from under you with a twitch of the wrist.

I've already installed springs on both ends, TM33/34 carb, full muzzy, K&N, air box drilled, jetted, 14/48 gearing, bars, grips, skidplate and de-smog.

Kept having the front wash out in the loose corners so ordered a Pirelli scorpion pro front and a trackmaster II rear for hopefully a little more grip. Also ordered some more protective gear since we all know it's not if, it's when.

I was surprisingly satisfied with the useable power but not sure how long that will last, especially riding with the 450 boys. Probably a big bore in the future.