My Fuel Injected KLX

Search this Thread

Old 07-17-2010, 04:48 PM
1st Gear Member

I'd be interested in an FI bolt on system when a production model hits the market. It would be nice not having to screw with jetting to tune it and not worrying about power loss with elevation. Count me in!

Old 07-17-2010, 05:09 PM
Admin
1st Gear Member

I'm very impressed with the work you've done - "nice job" just doesn't seem to cover it, but Nice Job!

If you ever got the motivation to do it, offering this mod as a kit I think would definitely generate some interest. Or maybe with your ECU and CDI, you can replace Kawasaki's electronics on their EFI KLX's and do the job better, without the expense of having to produce a throttle body, and source injectors, etc, you could use those already on the Kawasaki EFI version of the bike which will surely come to the states soon anyway. With all the trouble that some have experienced with the stock Kawasaki components, you would definitely have some customers right out of the gate.

Anyway, terrific job on your work. If there was a thumbs-up smiley, I would use it here.

Old 07-17-2010, 05:26 PM
1st Gear Member
Location: In North Western Jersey, but from Jackson, WY Originally

FWIW... and I have no voting rights I'm aware of, but I would make this project and your bike bike of the month in a heartbeat.

Old 07-17-2010, 05:31 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by Miaugi
Good work RayCour! Thanks for posting! Where abouts are you located? I'm in the Vaudreuil area just west of Montreal, I'd love to see how the bike runs!
I am 20km east of Trois-Rivieres. If you come to Mekinac in two weeks, you'll have a chance to see it and try it if you want. It's a ride organized by Club Enduro Quebec.

Old 07-17-2010, 09:13 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by jacksonriding7
It would have been really cool to see a straight dyno comparison of stock pipe and carb against stock pipe with fuel injection...
Agree on that.

I was expecting dyno facilities from the performance shop I cited in my first post. They have a car wheel dyno, and dynoed a few motorcycles in the past using a special fixture in place of the rear wheel. Unfortunately that fixture did not fit on the KLX. We thought building the necessary adapters but it was to be costly, with no certainty that their dyno would perform well with a small ~20hp engine, thus we abandoned this idea.

Other than that, the nearest motorcycle dyno I found is more than one hour from me. I decided to wait until I have the new throttle body before going there, but may change my mind. For now, I am riding and enjoying...

Old 09-04-2011, 07:25 PM
1st Gear Member

[/QUOTE] I just feel a lot of sympathy for the guys who have gone through months of frustration with their bikes while Kawasaki did the best Texas 2 step around the issue. I know a recall or warrantied item sucks for the company, and I'm sure that there are hundreds of bikes that haven't stalled out once, but it just makes a really bad experience for those riders with a bike that is such an incredibly fun use-able platform outside of that issue. I'm glad it's getting resolved, but I suspect there's more than one guy out there who gave up on the bike before the solution came through. Hopefully now that Kawi is up on it, dealers will follow through helpfully with needed replacements.[/QUOTE]

I have a secondhand 2008 D-Tracker 250 in Thailand and it has problems. I had to raise the idle speed but my bike has shut off for no reason ~5 times (dangerous in traffic) and it always doesn't want to start ~20% of the time totally draining the battery (dangerous off roading). When I took my bike to Kawasaki Bangkok, they said the ECU tested out fine and blame it on my aftermarket exhaust system. So now I have to switch back to a factory exhaust just to confirm this. Yet I see countless other EFI D-Trackers and KLX250s that have aftermarket exhausts and they seem to work fine.

It's not under warranty and I don't have any factory recall letter so I'm stuck with a dangerous bike. I even had Japanese people call Kawasaki Japan but their computers aren't linked to Thailand so they just shrugged off the problem. Only Kawi Bangkok can help me but I already have the impression that Kawasaki Thailand doesn't want to eat the cost of a new ECU and hence don't care about my safety.

Kawasaki Bangkok says there is no such thing as a performance ECU, that may have been a cover up to the original guys lucky enough to get their ECUs replaced. I don't want to pass the problem to some new sucker/buyer so I'll eventually get a Power Commander. I feel it is my duty to innocent new buyers to inform them that my experience with Kawasaki service has been lacking and their corporate HQ does not allow a flow of feedback up their corporate ladder. This is my second Kawasaki, but I will never buy another again.