My '07 KLX250 is For Sale in the Classifieds

Search this Thread

Old 12-23-2008, 03:05 PM
1st Gear Member

Yeah Canaan valley is a really nice place

Old 12-23-2008, 03:50 PM
1st Gear Member

Oh I wasn't questioning your desire to ride, just commenting that I'm racking up the miles on my KLX. I'll probably slow down now that I've got the knobbies and bigger sprockets.

Old 12-23-2008, 08:34 PM
1st Gear Member

Cliffsta,

If you have the 13/45 combo sprockets you will be almost 10 miles per hour slower at the same rpm in 6th gear. That ratio is good in the woods with your *****, but really turning some rpm's at 70 on the highway. In the tight stuff in the woods, I was running a lot of 2nd and 3rd gear stuff. The guy I was trying to stay behind was on a modified KX250 and he was mostly in 4th gear, but he is an 'A Class' rider and can really motor.

I liked running mine on trails and forest roads and it did pretty good on the scrambles track after the suspension adjustment, but I'm looking at riding the TAT sometime in Apr, May or June and packing what is needed to run 3 states and camping every other night just wasn't the thing to ask of the KLX. That's why I got the KLR as you can really load it down if you want to and they make so many aftermarket parts for the bike because it's been made for about 25 years now.

Hopefully they have all the bugs out of it by now... and with it's 6.1 gal tank and about 50 mpg you can make some miles before you fill up again.

Take care,

Old 12-23-2008, 11:47 PM
1st Gear Member

42/14 is a 3.00 ratio, 47/14 is a 3.357 ratio, and 45/13 is a 3.461 ratio, so I have to beg to differ, tconnel. 14/47 isn't quite as extreme of a wood ratio as a 13/45. I never did 70 on the stock gearing and tires, fasted I ever hit was 65, the fastest I'd crusie was 55. My definition of dual-sport is a street-legal dirt bike, legal only to get to the trails and ride, since we don't have a truck.

And by slow down I meant less miles, since with these knobbies and less street-friendly gearing, I'll be doing less urban assault. I'll be quicker in the woods because I won't be having to jump down into first or constantly slip the clutch in the tight stuff.

Old 12-24-2008, 12:05 AM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by tconnell
JRock, we were up around the Canon Valley. Probably spelled it wrong but it was the Concours Rally up there. Beautiful riding country in W Va. I left the rally at 5:30pm one afternoon and rolled in to Valdosta at about 8:30am the next morning.

Deej, I'm not leaving, and will still be checking in here from time to time. I have enjoyed meeting you guys here on the forum. It's been a wealth of information for getting that KLX running like it does. It will haul the mail now that I got a locak 'A' rider to ride it and adjust the front and back for the whoops at the scrambles track.

I have looked over in the KLR section. Sad that it doesn't generate the interest as does the KLX thread here. I have 4 KLR sites that I visit (sometimes hourly) that all have very active sessions going.

The KLR is about 3 weeks old now and I have added some electrics, like a Digital Voltmeter up near the dash, 12v power receptical on the other side. Of course the Garmin 2610 changed bikes too and I have added the SW Motech crash bars that protect all the front end. I have the Wolfman tank bag and saddle bags coming.

I was very surprised that the seat is so good. Read all the post about people changing the seat to everything from Corbin to Sargent at High dollar cost. I did about 380 that Sat of the ANF ride below Tallahassee. That was 140 miles down and back and the reat in the woods. The seat is fine for my butt. I'll spend that dollar on other farkles.

Talk to you guys later.

tc

Good on ya TC!

Glad to hear you'll still be seeing us from time to time.

I'm right there with you on the voltmeter. I have a dual 12v receptacle on my KLX with a voltmeter mounted to the bar clamp. I run heated gear in the spring and fall, so being able to monitor the charging system gives me a 'warm-n-fuzzy' feeling.

I really wish the other makers would follow Yahama's example on the WR250X and R. It has a 350W stator!...uses some sort of rare earth magnet and is pretty small and light, but puts out a grunch of power compared to what's normally on a 250 dual sport.

Well, enjoy your new primary ride. That bike's a real work horse. I heard there is something that can be done to strengthen a weak point in the sub-frame if you carry a lot of luggage. Have you looked into that?

Tak'er easy

Old 12-26-2008, 11:48 PM
1st Gear Member

Guys - Help!

80+ lookers and not one question asked. Am I asking too much? Gimme' some feedback please.

tc

Old 12-28-2008, 03:45 AM
1st Gear Member
Smile

Originally Posted by tconnell
Guys - Help!

80+ lookers and not one question asked. Am I asking too much? Gimme' some feedback please.

tc
The price is pretty good but a modded bike scares off many buyers. You'd be better off converting back to stock and then selling the mod parts seperately. JMHO

Old 12-28-2008, 04:13 PM
1st Gear Member

Yeah you want too much and putting it in here is like trying to sell a glass of sand to someone living in the desert. Put it on e-bay and craigslist. You need to target a larger customer base.