Is the Muzzy full systeam too loud?

Search this Thread

Old 06-12-2007, 04:12 PM
JB1
1st Gear Member
Default RE: Is the Muzzy full systeam too loud?

ORIGINAL: hokie01

What are guys using for slip on mods? I can't seem to find any links or part #s to get a slip on or any other full system for the klx250s. Too bad the big mfg co. dont see that the little kawis are catching on and start making more add ons. Seems if you don't have one of the biggest baddest bikes you are limited to making your own parts. I have a ttr225 and a yz125 and cant find anything for the ttr but everything for the yz. I bought my new klx last tuesday and already looking to upgrade in the mod dept.,fun little bike but needs just a little more to be perfect for what i want to do with it.
http://www.twobros.com/cgi-bin/shopp...250-SO_07.html

Old 06-12-2007, 04:14 PM
Da dirty moderator
1st Gear Member

HMF makes a slip on too.....

Old 06-12-2007, 09:46 PM
1st Gear Member

EMS,how is the HMF for on the street,I live in maine and they get kinda touchy with the noise but the harleys run open with no recourse.Go figure,lets see a sportster follow me in the woods.LOL

Old 06-13-2007, 09:00 AM
Da dirty moderator
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: hokie01

EMS,how is the HMF for on the street,I live in maine and they get kinda touchy with the noise but the harleys run open with no recourse.Go figure,lets see a sportster follow me in the woods.LOL
i dont have one personally, but i have seen at least 3 bikes with them on... its more quiet than the muzzy, but it still sounds good. i like it except how big it is... it needs scaled down like 75% then it would look right... but thats my personal opinion. but it sounds and performs good.

Old 06-13-2007, 05:36 PM
Administrator
1st Gear Member

no such thing as too loud. imo. now the po po might disagree....lol

Old 06-14-2007, 12:56 AM
1st Gear Member

I will comment on the 2bros. that Patrick is running. It had a higher tone then my muzzy but we both thought it was louder than the muzzy at any rpm. I can't imagine what his muzzy sounded like if the 2bros. is way quieter. Tumbleweeds 2bros. was a lot quieter than the muzzy at idle through mid rpms. I also thought that the hmf was about the same level as my muzzy. Maybe I got a super quite muzzy somehow.

Old 06-14-2007, 01:08 AM
1st Gear Member

I agree...Jeffs muzzy sounded great and my 2 bros was louder yet Nates is REAL loud (my old pipe)? I dont get it, I wonder if I had packing in mine? Ofthe 5 muzzys I have heard they all sound like a totally different brand. I wonder if the airbox lids and jetting are affecting db .

Kinda strange, I sure like the bottom end grunt the 2 bros gives. That is what caused my case splitting loop out.

Old 06-14-2007, 01:17 AM
1st Gear Member

I have run the muzzy with and with out the airbox lid on and could not notice any difference in sound from the pipe, just more intake noise with no lid.

Old 06-14-2007, 02:49 AM
1st Gear Member

if anyone wants to i can try and get a sound file from my bike and what not.

Old 06-14-2007, 03:07 AM
1st Gear Member

Well, I'll say it. Yes, it is too loud. I'm not trying to start a war or be mean. I know that many of you, just like me are disappointed in the performance of the KLX from the factory. Much of that "problem" is the overly restrictive exhaust.

I think the underlying problem is the road legal EPA certification. The 80 db test is different than a "trail side" test. It is a drive by test that almost matches the car tests for EPA approval. While I believe that this gives the KLX a misleading label on the pipe as compared to an aftermarket off road pipe, it is also the problem. Cars and trucks have a reasonably easy "out" for a free breathing and reasonably high performance. The manufactures just add a literally huge and heavy gargantuon exhaust. They can get away with it when the vehicle weighs 2400 to 6000#. Now the options get a little ugly when the vehicle only weighs 300#. Mufflers for over the road trucks don't fit on motorcycles. The next time you walk past a pickup truck, look under it. The muffler is as big as multiple mailboxes.

I personally think the EPA is doing us all a real dis-service here. Motorcycles are now being forced to meet emissions at a level like cars.Asa whole that may not be a bad thing, but the exhaust noise limits arealmost unachievable for a small machine. Since big, heavy, and bulbous don't fit they have to get restrictive to get the job done.

That problem drives nearly everyone to an aftermarket exhaust. Even worse with the limited aftermarket support for this machine, we are forced almost exclusively to loud MX track exhausts designed to fit an different dirt bike. Hell yes it is too loud. But what are the reasonable options that most people can use.