Must-do tail light mod

Search this Thread

Old 12-19-2005, 05:35 PM
1st Gear Member
Default RE: Must-do tail light mod

I'll never go back. We're a big open source shop here at my company and since I was a developer in my past life, I tend to favor open source solutions at home too.

The tab feature and the lack of popups are the two things that will keep me in Firefox. All the cool free extentions are just gravey on top (but I do use the heck out of eBay Negs!).

Now, stop hijacking my LED thread! [8D]

Old 12-19-2005, 06:16 PM

This is most interesting....

Is the KLX250S being mostly bought by computer software nerds?

Old 12-19-2005, 06:18 PM
1st Gear Member

LOL

Does learning to program on an HP-41C (the original, purchased opening day) make you a software nerd?

Old 12-19-2005, 06:27 PM

Yep -- and so does coding in 3-digit op-codes, for PC *prototypes* when they were being invented, and Bill Gates was maybe still in grade school. And the biggest newest, mainframes out there were the IBM-360 and the Honeywell OS-2000 (worked on them both).
Heck, I used to program on paper, and then keypunch it on boxes of 80/80 punch cards -- no terminals. And later I used to be a PC DOS guru...and owned a Commodore 64 when they first came out...Jeez, I am older than dirt....

Old 12-19-2005, 06:35 PM
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: OldDualSporter

Yep -- and so does coding in 3-digit op-codes, for PC *prototypes* when they were being invented, and Bill Gates was maybe still in grade school. And the biggest newest, mainframes out there were the IBM-360 and the Honeywell OS-2000 (worked on them both).
Heck, I used to program on paper, and then keypunch it on boxes of 80/80 punch cards -- no terminals. And later I used to be a PC DOS guru...and owned a Commodore 64 when they first came out...Jeez, I am older than dirt....
Now you're bringing back memories! I was right there with you all the way. Still have a box of those punch cards around here somewhere...

Old 12-19-2005, 06:36 PM
Your Humble Moderator/Admin
1st Gear Member

Well I didn't start out as a computer nerd, at work as a Maintenance Mechanic for the University of Washington, the Director of the facility where I work at first asked why I needed a computer, that was 8 years ago, and now he makes sure I have the latest and greatest, I got him trained well. But it had been just the last 4 years that my stuff at home has caught up with what I have at work. 4 years ago when XP was first starting to be standard on Dell machines, I ordered a desktop and a laptop at the same time thinking my family would be using the desktop and I would have the laptop, and that's pretty much what happened. I ran a ethernet cable in the attic to connect the two machines, great for backups, and now I have a wireless router which makes it nice for surfing in the front room with no wires. My wife however doesn't use the computer much, and is always complaining about my time on the machine. That's why I got the bike so when she gets tired of me on the computer, she can get tired of me off somewhere ridding, Just kidding......sort of.

deej

Old 12-19-2005, 06:59 PM

ORIGINAL: OldDualSporter

I learned about numbering the punch cards the hard way. I dropped my stack one day on a program I had just put together. Do you know the machine DID NOT put a sequence number on them?

PC DOS - what a great language, if you understood computerese! I could make a DOS machine do just about anything I wanted it to. Ran fast, never crashed and you did not need as much memory nor as fast a processor to make it work efficiently.

Built an automated system test system that worked on the stimulai / response concept. Did it with a DOS PC and ProComm. Also wrote a compiler to make the script writing less drudge work.

I migrated a guy's business records from a Commordore 32 (now we're talking old here) to a Tandy PC clone the T1000. Took some wires, a pair of plugs and made the hardware interface, then wrote the code to process the data. Took some time, but I was able to save about 95% of his business records without any typing!

Wrote a business management program for a friend that runs a small veterinary hospital. It ran on a Radio Shack Color Computer! He finally replace it 5 years ago. Not because it didn't work well, but he could not find any replacement hardware. I had to spend some time with the new developer to show him what my friend wanted.

As to being a nerd? Nope, don't consider myself that. There are other things in life -

race cars - spent many years campaigning a Super-Pro car in NHRA competition

motorcycling - still going on after all these years

photography - love taking pictures

family - the best part of my life

fishing - now that's relaxation

shooting sports - I love my guns!

I've tried flying, boat racing, scuba diving - no I draw the line at jumping out of a perfectly good airplane - unless pushed out!

Matter of fact, if I had it to do all over again, probably wouldn't change much at all.

And yes . . . . . . . it has happened!

Old 12-19-2005, 09:59 PM
1st Gear Member

No nerds here,LOL,Ive been a Auto Tech. for the past 20 plus years and still going strong. I play with computers as a hobby but thats not saying much they make so many changes i cant keep up, camping,fishing and spending time with the family eats up most of my time and the new bike going to eat the rest.

Scat
Everett WA.

Old 12-20-2005, 02:38 AM
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: bmwhd

Yes. I do. It often doesn't work on this site. I'm running Firefox 1.0.7
Hey Todd, there is a newer version out, 1.6. Just downloaded it today. I did notice that the options dialog is a little different, but I did not have that much time to play with it before going to work. That's where I am at now. I too am a big fan of open source. I use the Dev-Cpp IDE to code most of my stuff. And yes, I guess I am a nerd too, and an old one at that, 50. I learned to program on the Tandy Color computer. Did a lot of assembly coding to interface to the hardware port. I also love motorcycling, fishing, takin pictures. Nice LED tail light BTW. I made a circuit that modulates a LED array when brakes are applied. Got the array from Walmart. I am seriously considering the KLX250s. I had a KLR650, and an XR650L, and they were both too heavy for technical trail riding. Sorry for the thread high-jacking, but reading about all of the older technology brought back memories.

Old 12-20-2005, 06:03 AM
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: slip

ORIGINAL: bmwhd

Yes. I do. It often doesn't work on this site. I'm running Firefox 1.0.7
Hey Todd, there is a newer version out, 1.6. Just downloaded it today. I did notice that the options dialog is a little different, but I did not have that much time to play with it before going to work. That's where I am at now. I too am a big fan of open source. I use the Dev-Cpp IDE to code most of my stuff. And yes, I guess I am a nerd too, and an old one at that, 50. I learned to program on the Tandy Color computer. Did a lot of assembly coding to interface to the hardware port. I also love motorcycling, fishing, takin pictures. Nice LED tail light BTW. I made a circuit that modulates a LED array when brakes are applied. Got the array from Walmart. I am seriously considering the KLX250s. I had a KLR650, and an XR650L, and they were both too heavy for technical trail riding. Sorry for the thread high-jacking, but reading about all of the older technology brought back memories.
Hey Slip! Go for it! You'd love this bike. I'm not missing my KLR650 at all (or at least I won't once I figure out how to get just a bit more gas on this thing).

Quick Reply: Must-do tail light mod