Must-do tail light mod

Search this Thread

Old 12-15-2005, 05:43 PM
1st Gear Member
Default Must-do tail light mod

I received my Brake! LED tail light assembly from Dual Star today. I've used this unit on several bikes (it's the KLR650-specific model but it fits many tail light housings).

I can't stress enough how much better this assembly is over the stock 1157 bulb. First and foremost, it's WAY brighter. Unlike many cheap a$$ LED replacement bulbs, this unit blazes like the sun. Also, it's visible from the sides too. The super bright LEDs form a big bold letter X pattern that really stands out to drivers coming up on your rear.

On top of being SUPER bright, it also can be set to flash in a short rapid pattern and then go solid on when you apply the brakes. This REALLY gets drivers attention at a stop light.

At $65 it ain't cheap but it is SO worth it. Plus, it only draws 0.6 watts running and 4 watts brake light so it frees up some power for other goodies.

I'll post before and after pics along with install pics (very very simple) soon.

Having seen the effects of a rear end collision one too many times, I'll never be without serious flashing brake lights on a street bike again.

Old 12-15-2005, 07:06 PM
Your Humble Moderator/Admin
1st Gear Member
Default RE: Must-do tail light mod

Could you buy me one too? Man I hate waiting for payday. Why can't the work week be 2 days and the weekends be 5 and we get paid every day?

deej

Old 12-19-2005, 03:15 AM
1st Gear Member

Click here to read more and see pictures of the LED array.

Old 12-19-2005, 03:52 AM
1st Gear Member

Looks good Todd, What is the life of this unit? could not find ant write up on this unit.

Scat
Everett WA.

Old 12-19-2005, 05:29 AM
1st Gear Member

It's "only" 60,000 hours. In terms of a dual sport bike, that means every other part on your bike will have returned to dust long before it burns out.

The company that makes these is in Canada: http://www.homebody-design.com/catalog/brake/brake.html but I always buy from Dual Star as they have this particular model in stock all the time.

Old 12-19-2005, 06:05 AM
1st Gear Member

WOW! Cant beat that i will be ordering one up soon. Thanks for the info.
Scat
Everett WA.

Old 12-19-2005, 07:25 AM
1st Gear Member

Awesome Todd, You probably figured out that I just wait around until you do a mod, and then I copy it, I'll order the tail light soon. Thanks again.

deej

Old 12-19-2005, 08:52 AM
1st Gear Member

Hey do you guys have any issues with the back button on you're brouser? I'm using Mozilla Firefox, and this is the only site that I seem to be having a problem going back.

deej

Old 12-19-2005, 03:27 PM
1st Gear Member

Yes. I do. It often doesn't work on this site. I'm running Firefox 1.0.7

Old 12-19-2005, 03:38 PM

After spending a lifetime doing software testing, the final part of my career was doing web based testing, there is a big difference with the browser that you use. Each one has it's own set of rules.

I've stayed with the good old standby, Internet Explorer by Bill Gates. It works here, there and everywhere. No it's not perfect, but neither is most of the software out there.

Quick Reply: Must-do tail light mod