MOTOCROSS TRACK REPORT 2

Search this Thread

Old 03-05-2006, 06:06 AM
Default MOTOCROSS TRACK REPORT 2

I gave the KLX 250S the beating of a life time today( coming up short on some doubles over shooting landings, and a 30MPH crash that beat me up pretty good too). I started of the day not taking it easy at all missed the landing on the 80FT table still didn't bottom out. I only bottomed once and that was from short shooting the table from about ten feet up and landing on the hump, it still bottomed softly though. It was dry today so the bike was reacting pretty good the springs are still a little too soft and it's in bad need of a 1/4 turn throttle, its not real inspiring hitting large kickers with my elbow down twisting the throttle. I will tell you one thing this bike's suspension is better than I had thought originally
It reacted well to coming up short on small doubles, threw the whoops and even when going big. I haven't got the stone's yet to hit the 85ft double, but I'm working up slowly. Plus I haven't really got my rhythm back from what it used to be. When I crashed going 30 I was taking a long sweeping corner in soft dirt, I got side ways washed out, then hit thicker dirt that was piled up, then came to almost a immediate stop. While the bike was grinding to a halt I kept going still hanging on to the grips I flipped over the front of the bars banging my knee on the way over. I kind of landed on my feet but that was short lived cause the next thing that hit the ground was my face. While I was halted in the dirt my KLX had managed to make its way to me and fall on my legs. I really didn't see what happened to the bike after I was off it but I know it couldn't have been pretty cause both of my hand guards where shattered into little tiny pieces. Now the good part, I gathered myself got back on the KLX and it kicked over first try. I sat there in AWE for a second remembering my two stroke days of kicking fifty times after a digger, then sped off. Now I can pretty much guarantee that the stock bars would have either snapped or bent Pro Taper bars where worth the money. Well I'm sorry guys that this post does not include pictures but the guys that where suppose to meet me at the track to take pictures where too hung over to ride, I learned after I got home. Right now I have the front COMP. clickers at 6 out, the rear COMP. clickers at 12 out, rebound is at stock: these settings seem to be a little bit better suited for off road abuse. I have noticed that under major load going towards 9k rpm the clutch slips, which is bad excellerating out of a corner to hit a double then all of a sudden your in second and over revving the hell out of it to keep from diving head first into the landing. I will say that the KLX 250S with it versatility, and and easy modifications is the best bike for the buck, because its just not worth the pain of turning an enduro bike into a dual sport, but it was rather easy turning this dual sport into an enduro. I'm dumping the 45t rear sprocket for a 47t more torque yeah! I already have some MX brush guards coming in, the next major purchase will be heavier springs both ways
and then some kenda enduro dot tires. In closing this bike can handle what ever you throw at it, don't be afraid to beat it down.

Old 03-05-2006, 06:08 AM
Your Humble Moderator/Admin
1st Gear Member
Default RE: MOTOCROSS TRACK REPORT 2

Pics, Pics, Pics LOL Oh send old 45 tooth to Deric Kettel P.O. Box .....LOL

Old 03-05-2006, 06:12 AM

I know, I know; I knew I was going to get heckled for not having pictures but I promise I will post them when I can get a reliable camara man out to the track!

Old 03-05-2006, 10:12 AM

Great to hear this bike can take some serious punishment. BTW, how much do you weigh? Just wondering in regards ot your suspension recommendations and the bottoming resistance of the suspension.

Clutch slip? The gearing is so short in 1-3 that I'm not sure I'd notice since the motor runs through those gears so quickly anyway. Maybe after I add the Muzzy exhaust, it will become noticeable. Lower gearing might reduce the clutch slippage issue.

Old 03-05-2006, 09:25 PM

I weigh 185lbs. but I dropped the bike's weight by 26lbs with mods.