Motocross helmets vs. "standard" helmet

Search this Thread

Old 08-07-2008, 04:29 AM

I wear a full face helmet with my 09 klx, on and off road. I just prefer it over it over the goggles+mx helmet. I don't see many dual sport riders who don't wear the mx style tho.

Attached Thumbnails Motocross helmets vs. "standard" helmet-klx2.jpg  
Old 08-15-2008, 01:13 AM
1st Gear Member

I love my Shoei X-11 in white for the commutes. I have a Shoei RJ-Air 3/4 for days when the winds aren't gusty and I'm not worried about small rocks cutting my chin up.

Old 08-15-2008, 03:21 AM
1st Gear Member

Took the bike out today with the mirrored visor and "street helmet" to a decommissioned airport. You can see a partial reflection of yourself, it's weird. It didn't really obstruct the view at all though. I'll keep it, because man, this helmet looks really really cool with that mirrored visor. I feel like Boba Fett or something! I've yet to take this bike into Austin, can't wait for the looks.

Old 08-15-2008, 04:53 PM
1st Gear Member

Does my picture give you my answer?

Attached Thumbnails Motocross helmets vs. "standard" helmet-img00075.jpg  
Old 08-15-2008, 11:26 PM
1st Gear Member

For me it's all about airflow. Florida summers can be, well, warmish, so any extra air is welcome. I would guess a full face would offer the most protection, but what's the point if you develop heat stroke, pass out, and crash after 20 minutes....

I've worn MX style lids w/goggles for 30+ years and learned to deal with their peculiarities. Been hit in the kisser and goggles by dragonflies, rocks, big beetles, you name it and never had a problem.

Truth be known I would rather ride hatless and would do it if my alter ego was Clark Kent. Here in the real world I wear a brain bucket - always. Figure it's just one of the ways to live and post another day. Hey, to each his own. Just wear one.....

Old 08-15-2008, 11:32 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by Xerxes
For me it's all about airflow. Florida summers can be, well, warmish, so any extra air is welcome. I would guess a full face would offer the most protection, but what's the point if you develop heat stroke, pass out, and crash after 20 minutes....

I've worn MX style lids w/goggles for 30+ years and learned to deal with their peculiarities. Been hit in the kisser and goggles by dragonflies, rocks, big beetles, you name it and never had a problem.

Truth be known I would rather ride hatless and would do it if my alter ego was Clark Kent. Here in the real world I wear a brain bucket - always. Figure it's just one of the ways to live and post another day. Hey, to each his own. Just wear one.....
My full face is vented. I get plenty of air on hot days.

I always see all these hipster dudes and girls on scooters in the city, with no helmet, buzzing around in traffic at 35mph. They're nuts. But I guess you don't hear too much about scooter accidents do ya?

Old 08-16-2008, 02:55 AM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by je2000
My full face is vented. I get plenty of air on hot days.

I always see all these hipster dudes and girls on scooters in the city, with no helmet, buzzing around in traffic at 35mph. They're nuts. But I guess you don't hear too much about scooter accidents do ya?
read some italian newspapers if you want to see lots of news about people getting
messed up in scooter crashes. especially rome, florence, milan...the bigger cities.
its a huge problem over there, and only in the last few years have they made
a helmet law. like once a week there's some story in any of the local papers
about someone getting killed on a scooter or a bike.

Old 08-16-2008, 03:18 PM
1st Gear Member

I have a mx helmet and a full face both by HJC. The MX is lighter, and cooler, and I can wear it with either goggles or sunglasses. I use it for short rides, rides around town. If Im hitting the highway, or going on a long ride I take the full face. It feels "safer" and its definitly quieter. The vents work well to keep my head cool when Im moving.

Old 08-16-2008, 04:03 PM
1st Gear Member

With regards to being hot, I find my full face Shoei X-11 to be cooler then the 3/4 Shoei RJ Platinum Air. The 3/4 helmet seems to pick up heat from the asphalt a lot more. The Full Face helmet protects me from this and pulls lots of fresh air in through the vents up high and farther away from the engines, exhausts, and asphalt.

Old 08-16-2008, 05:09 PM
1st Gear Member

This.

And these.

Quick Reply: Motocross helmets vs. "standard" helmet