Motocross helmets vs. "standard" helmet

Search this Thread

Old 08-05-2008, 05:17 PM
1st Gear Member
Default Motocross helmets vs. "standard" helmet

I bought a white scorpion exo-400 helmet a few months ago, before I got my bike. It's a nice looking helmet, comfortable, vented, removable and washable pads, all for a good price.

Now I feel somewhat out of place riding around on a KLX250 with this "street" helmet and a blue Tourmaster intake 2 jacket. Is it stupid to be riding trails with a mesh, cf armor padded "street" style jacket, and street helmet with no visor? As far as functionality goes, the Scorpion helmet is doing great, and so is the jacket.

I do a lot of street riding to and from trails, so I don't imagine a motocross style helmet would do so well at 70mph. Besides shade protection, why are motocross helmets the way they are? What's the advantage? Do I look like a total noob or what? I know I'm having a blast riding the highway to the trails, on the trails, and on the way home too.

Old 08-05-2008, 05:30 PM
1st Gear Member

nah its all about what you like mang,,, im lookin at some joe rocket jackets myself,, but then agian I thought about chest protector as well.. Its pretty much what you wanna where.. Its not how you look,,, its how you protect yourself and thats all that matters

Old 08-05-2008, 05:46 PM
1st Gear Member

Amigo you have answered your own question.

Old 08-05-2008, 06:03 PM
1st Gear Member

I have both helmets. When Im up at my cottage I wear the MX and at home on the streets the Joe Rocket street helmet. The only advantage to the MX helmet to me is the air flow. But for protection it's not enough for me. I too wear a jacket, its a full leather jacket and my friends think im crazy wearing it when its 90 out but i look at it like this: If i fall at 45 and dont get hit by a car and live, i will at least have some skin on my upper body. Just my 2 cents

-Nick

Old 08-05-2008, 06:09 PM
1st Gear Member

+1 masson

Its all about how your protected not how you look

Old 08-05-2008, 06:11 PM
1st Gear Member
Thumbs up http://www.zamp-racing.net/motostrFL20.html

Originally Posted by je2000
I bought a white scorpion exo-400 helmet a few months ago, before I got my bike. It's a nice looking helmet, comfortable, vented, removable and washable pads, all for a good price.

Now I feel somewhat out of place riding around on a KLX250 with this "street" helmet and a blue Tourmaster intake 2 jacket. Is it stupid to be riding trails with a mesh, cf armor padded "street" style jacket, and street helmet with no visor? As far as functionality goes, the Scorpion helmet is doing great, and so is the jacket.

I do a lot of street riding to and from trails, so I don't imagine a motocross style helmet would do so well at 70mph. Besides shade protection, why are motocross helmets the way they are? What's the advantage? Do I look like a total noob or what? I know I'm having a blast riding the highway to the trails, on the trails, and on the way home too.
It's a personal issue, IMHO, but I prefer, and use, the Flip-Up Modular made by ZAMP Racing. The model that I use is the FL20. I have the Multi Colored Grey and White colored one.

I think I paid about $150 for it. Shipping was free and fast! Here's a link to their website:
http://www.zamp-racing.net/motostrFL20.html (You may have to cut and paste the link to get it to work. I searched the web for this rascal over many days before I found what I was looking for.

Specifically, I wanted a true "Dual Sport" Helmet for my Dual Sport Bike. HA! One that performed well at high speeds on the road, and also allowed me to have an interior sunshield that could be deployed while I was under-way.

My custom on the trails is to open the face shield about an 8th to a 1/4 inch providing 'mucho' air flow and minimum dust intrusion. I usually ride last in the line-up of the riders in case we have some one in distress. This position allows me to always be in the dust stream! I can flip the outer shield up, and do my in route spiting, take in water from my back pack tube, go into business with my "hat" in place and still communicate with whomever I choose... with out leaving my "hat" on the bike.

It's a real conversation starter with other bikers who always want to know if .. "that was bought overseas"!! It's a rare model but I truly enjoy the fit and finish.

Old 08-05-2008, 06:15 PM
1st Gear Member

Well thats a pretty cool helmet thanks for sharing 002197rp

Old 08-05-2008, 06:17 PM
1st Gear Member

OOPS! The exact model that I have is the FL-20 Silver Multi (HO24OC5).

Sorry, I said it was white... MY BAD as Deej would say. HA!

Old 08-05-2008, 06:27 PM
1st Gear Member

lol..

Old 08-05-2008, 07:19 PM
Your Humble Moderator/Admin
1st Gear Member

Yea I picked up a motocross helmet (free with the bike) and it really is the only helmet I wear. Same thing with the wife and her bike. I also bought the Scorpion EXO-400 for me and one for the wife. Her helmet is blue and white to match the XT 225 and mine is the matte black, I have only wore it once. I feel out of place with it on the KLX. To me its as funny looking as a Harley guy wearing a motocross helmet. (or a gold wing or any cruiser) I like Harleys by the way so let's not go there. LOL

Quick Reply: Motocross helmets vs. "standard" helmet