Old 01-24-2007, 05:56 PM
1st Gear Member
Default RE: motocross fender and supermotard fender

Oh I didn't realize you guys have to get your bikes inspected

Old 01-24-2007, 06:29 PM
Da dirty moderator
1st Gear Member

yea the mechanic said that my rear signals were not legal. but passed it anyway... nice guy...

Old 01-24-2007, 06:41 PM
1st Gear Member

It's not DOT approved because they prob. didn't submit it for approval. Bottom line is that if the letters DOT are not molded into the lens, it's not DOT approved.

Sorry Wes for hijacking your thread. I'll post some pictures of my fender mod to get it back on track.

Old 01-24-2007, 10:36 PM
1st Gear Member

Here's a picture of mine with the same fenders in black, and re-using the stock tailight and a homemade license plate mount. I did cut the subframe some but not as much as you, this setup will do me for now until it gets warmer out and I can work on it more without freezing my but off.

Old 01-25-2007, 12:29 AM
1st Gear Member

Ok, here's mine. I didn't cut the subframe off like Vurtles and Markturbo did. Just can't bring myself to cut it yet.

I used sheetmetal to make a plate to mount the stock light on and bent the plate down to make a place to mount the tag. I don't think the pictures show it, but I used two small. metal brackets to brace the sheetmetal where the bend takes place. I used rivets to hold the brackets/braces.

The tag lights are 14V, 1W panel indicator lights from the electronics junk drawer. They're held on with just a tie-wrap right now. I'm still deciding on how I'm going to mount them.

Name:  fender_4.jpg
Views: 230
Size:  70.7 KB

Name:  fender_3.jpg
Views: 227
Size:  102.1 KB

Name:  fender_2.jpg
Views: 232
Size:  83.8 KB

Name:  fender_1.jpg
Views: 214
Size:  125.8 KB

Old 01-25-2007, 12:43 AM
Admin
1st Gear Member

Since we're sharing, here's mine - no subframe cutting, mounts made with aluminum U- and L-brackets I made. License plate light is a white LED:

All this will soon be replaced by that cool Baja Designs tail light. The only think left will be to figure out something for the turn signals.

Old 01-25-2007, 06:10 AM
1st Gear Member

These are the turn signals I bought for my bike. They mount on the side of the baja designs license bracket. My wife went out of town for the week and took the camera, so I can't take anymore pictures until she gets back. The LED taillight looks pretty sweet at night. It gives off a blue-white light all the way around the lens and the main LEDs are red.

[IMG]local://upfiles/3707/2BADC2BF25B04789B8F849F8365F643B.jpg[/IMG]

Old 01-25-2007, 06:21 AM
1st Gear Member

Here is the Texas DOT rules for inspection. I believe our bike falls under the motor-driven cycle (250cc or less) and has less requirements than I listed here. Here is the link to the same guidelines an inspector uses when he looks at your vehicles. It mentions emmissions in it too.

http://www.txdps.state.tx.us/msb/txm...tm#Chapter%202

STOPLAMPS REQUIRED
(c) A stoplamp shall be mounted on the rear of the vehicle.
(d) A stoplamp shall emit a red or amber light, or a color between red and amber, that is:
(1) visible in normal sunlight at a distance of at least 300 feet from the rear of the vehicle; and
(2) displayed when the vehicle service brake is applied.
(f) A stoplamp may be included as a part of another rear lamp.

TURN SIGNAL LAMPS REQUIRED.
(a)Exceptas provided by Subsection (b), a motor vehicle, trailer, semitrailer, or pole trailer shall be equipped with electric turn signal lamps that indicate the operator's intent to turn by displaying flashing lights to the front and rear of a vehicle or combination of vehicles and on that side of the vehicle or combination toward which the turn is to be made.
(c) Turn signal lamps:
(1) shall be mounted at the same level and spaced as widely apart as practicable on the front and on the rear of the vehicle; and
(2) may be included as a part of another lamp on the vehicle.
(d) A turn signal lamp shall emit:
(1) a white or amber light, or a color between white and amber, if the lamp is mounted on the front of the vehicle; or
(2) a red or amber light, or a color between red and amber, if the lamp is mounted on the rear of the vehicle.
(e) A turn signal lamp must be visible in normal sunlight at a distance of:
(1) at least 500 feet from the front and rear of the vehicle if the vehicle is at least 80 inches wide; and
(2) at least 300 feet from the front and rear of the vehicle if the vehicle is less than 80 inches wide.

Old 01-25-2007, 03:51 PM
JB1
1st Gear Member

Thanks Wes....btw....whatexhaust do you have?

Old 01-25-2007, 05:28 PM
1st Gear Member

I cut my stock exhaust down.

Quick Reply: motocross fender and supermotard fender