More Orange

Search this Thread

Old 12-31-2009, 10:28 PM
Admin
1st Gear Member
Default More Orange

Not a KLX, but since others are posting their new bikes, I thought I'd share our new acquisition ...

For the "understudy"

Can't think of a better way to spend time with my kids than on two wheels. Thanks to a friend's generosity, my oldest has been learning on a TT-R125 for the past month or two. We've finally saved enough for his own bike now, and hopefully with the experience he's gained from the TT-R, he'll be ready to ease into a full sized bike. We'll be detuning it as much as possible at first, until he gets more comfortable. I figure by this time next year, I'll have to try and secretly detune it to keep up with him. To be 16 again ...

Just got back a little bit ago from picking it up. I can tell just from a spin around the gravel lot and in my back yard that this is one FUN bike! It feels like a feather, a 200cc feather.

It was plated and titled in SC, I plan to transfer and plate it here in NC. That should increase the fun factor even more.

Old 12-31-2009, 10:43 PM
1st Gear Member

Nice Job Pop!

Old 12-31-2009, 11:17 PM
Administrator
1st Gear Member

nice! heck, I have to inspect cheap bikes to see if I can get one that will not break the bank. Congrats on the new toy.

Old 12-31-2009, 11:32 PM
1st Gear Member

Sweet bike NoBrakes the 200 smoker has a tighter rake than the 250 & 300 .... kinda like the klx but 100 lbs lighter

Good fun bike....power adjustments are easy with the power valve .... don't hold him back ... well too much. roflmao

Old 01-01-2010, 12:28 AM
1st Gear Member

Looks like it will be a great first full size bike (heck, I would love to have a bike like that for woods riding). Nice job!

Old 01-01-2010, 12:40 AM
Admin
1st Gear Member

I wish it was mine. If I was getting one for myself, I think I'd probably get one just like it.

I think he's a little scared of it right now. It's a big step up from the TT-R. In an ideal world, I'd put him on an in-between bike at this stage, a TTR230, CRF230 or similar. But I'm hoping to skip that step and get him something he'll never out grow, but not so hot that he can't get accustomed to it. Would not have been possible without the use of the TT-R125. But now that he's comfortable on that, can use the clutch, is zipping around and doing wheelies on it, I think the transition will be OK. Maybe a little slow at first, but he's young, athletic, is good on skateboards, mountain bikes, bmx, etc, so I think he'll learn quick. Don't want to scare him off with too much too fast, though, so we'll be detuning as much as we can, maybe a flywheel weight, but definitely play with the jetting and power valve to soften it up as FM mentioned. Possibly insert a throttle stop to help with the dreaded whiskey throttle when he inevitably gets into trouble.

I just filled my garage with smoke. haha I love it!

While I wouldn't call it loud, I'm thinking about getting one of these, anyone use one? I'm hoping this will tone it down enough that he can zip around in the back yard without the neighbors complaining too much. Anyone have any direct experience with it?

http://www.thedbsnorkel.com/

Old 01-01-2010, 08:15 AM
1st Gear Member
Talking Going Orange soon

Congrats on the kids new ride. I am getting on the orange wagon too....after a couple years riding a street version of the KLX250 (D-Tracker), it's time to get a little bigger...found a good deal on a "used" bike, 2007 with only 95kms on the clock, and a little under $10,000 out the door....

Attached Thumbnails More Orange-950sm.jpg  
Old 01-01-2010, 03:07 PM
Your Humble Moderator/Admin
1st Gear Member

Well all the gear all the time has never been more appropriate huh. Just tell him to take it easy and to always ride within his experience. Nice Bike Brian. The last two smoke I rode was in 1990 and it was a race quad. MMMMMMMMMMMM I can still spell the mix......

Old 01-01-2010, 10:41 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by deej
Well all the gear all the time has never been more appropriate huh. Just tell him to take it easy and to always ride within his experience. Nice Bike Brian. The last two smoke I rode was in 1990 and it was a race quad. MMMMMMMMMMMM I can still spell the mix......
Ah, but if you never push the limit you'll never know what it is.

Old 01-01-2010, 11:55 PM
1st Gear Member

Nice bike there Brian.
Small bore smokers are heaps of fun.
Fast, light, what more do you want.

That sure is a big jump in performance.
But once he masters it your son will be quite a rider.

Quick Reply: More Orange