Modified side stand

Search this Thread

Old 11-30-2013, 03:56 AM
1st Gear Member
Default Modified side stand

My wife has struggled with the side stand on her KLX ever since she started riding it. With the bike being lowered, she had to tip the bike pretty far over just to get the stand down, and was afraid of dropping it. So I shortened it for her.

First I cut 1.25" out of the middle of the stand to compensate for the bike being lowered, sleeved it with a scrap piece of pipe I had lying around that was a perfect fit (to make sure I had it aligned properly for welding), then had a buddy weld it back together, and also had him weld on a foot pad that I cut out of some 1/8" steel plate I had lying around the garage.

Old 11-30-2013, 12:10 PM
1st Gear Member

Nice work!

I never noticed but the "09" on bikes have quite a different spring to hold the stand up when not in use.

Old 11-30-2013, 12:23 PM
1st Gear Member

A rider, who got in touch with me about a part, and I were talking about this. He had a lowered bike and was thinking about the side stand.

One thought that came to mind was to make the stand adjustable in the event the bike either needed further lowering, raised back up, or just to avoid cutting it too short. The thought was to cut the stand, then thread the metal in each side with whatever tap fit, then thread in some all thread rod (or sawn off bolt thread) with locking nuts to allow the stand to be lengthened or shortened as desired. No welding if the stand tube is thick enough to thread (fine thread would be best since it wouldn't cut as deep). The rod would be quite large diameter so strength should be good. It could also be done by welding a bolt shank with the head cut off into one end with the other end threaded.

If someone tries it, let us know how it works.

Old 11-30-2013, 03:07 PM
1st Gear Member

678, ^ this has been done before. It's around here somewhere. I believe they welded a nut on.

Old 11-30-2013, 04:21 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by dan888
Nice work!

I never noticed but the "09" on bikes have quite a different spring to hold the stand up when not in use.
Thanks Dan!

Old 11-30-2013, 04:25 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by IDRIDR
678, ^ this has been done before. It's around here somewhere. I believe they welded a nut on.
Yeah, here is the adjustable version (from ADVRider):

ADVrider - View Single Post - Long term KLX250S review

I considered going that route, but decided to just measure very carefully and make sure I got the length right the first time. The bike has been lowered for over 2 years now, and I'm pretty sure it won't ever be going back to stock height. If it does, I'll find a way to deal with it then...

Old 11-30-2013, 04:47 PM
1st Gear Member

Nice and clean work. Speaking of clean, what's up with that chain? Happy Thanksgiving to all of you.

Old 11-30-2013, 07:59 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by BillMoore
Yeah, here is the adjustable version (from ADVRider):

ADVrider - View Single Post - Long term KLX250S review

I considered going that route, but decided to just measure very carefully and make sure I got the length right the first time. The bike has been lowered for over 2 years now, and I'm pretty sure it won't ever be going back to stock height. If it does, I'll find a way to deal with it then...
Good find. I see it's also in here: https://www.kawasakiforums.com/forum...q-links-30733/

Old 11-30-2013, 08:27 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by NEWPARTSRULE
Nice and clean work. Speaking of clean, what's up with that chain? Happy Thanksgiving to all of you.
Yeah, I posted the same pic on another forum and got the same comment, LOL. It's on my list to deal with it today. Both bikes got pretty muddy last weekend and I haven't had a chance to clean them up and lube the chains yet...

Old 12-01-2013, 11:40 AM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by IDRIDR
I knew it was too simple not to have been done, but I wonder if the stand metal is thick enough it can be done without welding. Tap each end of the tube and thread in a rod with lock nuts on it. Just a thought. I don't think I'm shortening a stand any time soon.

Last edited by klx678; 12-01-2013 at 11:42 AM.

Quick Reply: Modified side stand