Mod day - Airbox, carb, smog, crank case breather, carb 'T', and muffler completed

Search this Thread

Old 04-03-2008, 06:10 AM
1st Gear Member
Default RE: Mod day - Airbox, carb, smog, crank case breather, carb 'T', and muffler completed

Many of us are firm beleivers of ditching the lid all together. I beleive the higher you are, the thinner it (the air) becomes and you want as much as you can get your hands on....or airbox on.

Old 04-04-2008, 03:22 AM
1st Gear Member
Default RE: Mod day - Airbox, carb, smog, crank case breather, carb 'T', and muffler completed

+1 on air. just depends on how you want your bike to sound, perform and in some cases look...... I was doing 70 miles a day commute and trail. got to where the no lid sound bothered me. However, my exhaust is still stock with hole. so that butt plug is probably keeping teh need for more air down. I am at 500 feet-1000 feet in heavy forested areas too. so high O2 here.

Old 04-15-2008, 05:27 PM
1st Gear Member

I have two KLX 250s07 models... got one for me and one for my 15 year old. He's not in need of modifications to his bike, but I am... especially since they both have 23 miles on them now!
I drilled the silencer, ordered a 13t front sprocket and the KDX 200 snorkel. I have the Dynojet kit for the KLX 300.
I haveseen several recommendations for the jetting and air screw adjustment etc. -my question:
The Dynojet kit indicatesthat itis designed for a slightly modified bike "without" the airboxlid? If I'm going to keep the lid and only use the KDX 200 snorkel, do I jet it differently?
I'm not sure of the elevation here inSyracuse NY -Central NY.
Also, since I'm leaving my sons bike stock for now, I can get some real comparisons as to how the changes affect performance-also including the exhaust noise level after drilling, sincemy companysells noise control products.
Thanks, Glen

Old 04-15-2008, 07:24 PM
1st Gear Member

Looks like you're at about 380 ft according to Wikipedia. Maybe jet for about sea level or maybe a little leaner. I'd lose the lid all together.

Old 04-21-2008, 07:43 AM

Has anyone got any pix of the carb slide mod.....really keen to do this mod but would like some direction before I make the start.....also what is the drill diameter in Metric? cheers guys on a most excellant site....

Old 04-21-2008, 08:01 AM
1st Gear Member

See THIS link.
Drill is 7/64" or 3mm, take your pick. 3mm is a tad larger than 7/64".
ORIGINAL: dirtdemon

Has anyone got any pix of the carb slide mod.....really keen to do this mod but would like some direction before I make the start.....also what is the drill diameter in Metric? cheers guys on a most excellant site....

Old 01-25-2009, 12:58 AM
1st Gear Member

Wow! great info,thanks a bunch....Bob

Old 01-25-2009, 02:30 AM
1st Gear Member

Thanks for digging up this old thread Bob. subscribing.

Old 01-25-2009, 05:00 AM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by stellar_d
Many of us are firm beleivers of ditching the lid all together. I beleive the higher you are, the thinner it (the air) becomes and you want as much as you can get your hands on....or airbox on.

While true, I prefer to use the snorkel from the KDX since it takes some of the "throatiness" out of the sound of the bike.

Old 01-26-2009, 11:43 PM
1st Gear Member
Red face

Originally Posted by Kiwi Lee
On another topic, yeah, I know, find the right thread.
That lil' ol' spring behind the oil filter, most of us are not flexible enough to hold it in place while slipping the filter in.
The answer!
Simple, use an old trick,
Lightly (and i mean lightly ) dip one end of the spring into oil based grease and then "stick" it to the end of the filter. Then insert filter O ring onto housing and slip the whole assembly in as a unit and just make sure its seated before you bolt her up.
Another tip, remove plug cap and give motor a good crank before firing it up.
Lee
I wish I would have read this earlier. I changed my oil and filter for the first time on this bike last weekend. The only solution I could think of was to lay the bike on its side to install the new filter.

Quick Reply: Mod day - Airbox, carb, smog, crank case breather, carb 'T', and muffler completed