Mod day - Airbox, carb, smog, crank case breather, carb 'T', and muffler completed

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-2008, 04:46 AM
1st Gear Member
Default RE: Mod day - Airbox, carb, smog, crank case breather, carb 'T', and muffler completed

I have seen posts saying there is no performance gain. However, there is less tube to get a vacuum leak....
THere was another post about some relay used for injecting air into the back end of the carb to get her going after you dump it and flood it. They said you could use the place where the smog crap connects instead of what they did (drilled into the carb assembly......

Ron

FWIW, my smog crap is still on, since I was lazy....

Ron

Old 02-20-2008, 02:31 AM
1st Gear Member
Default RE: Mod day - Airbox, carb, smog, crank case breather, carb 'T', and muffler completed

Hi, just wondering on a couple of things you mentioned. Did you use the dj kit for klx300..? if so why did you put the collar on the second clip...?

cheers, just sliced and diced my carb tonight and was just checking before I put it back on..

thanks

Old 02-22-2008, 02:00 AM
1st Gear Member

Yup 2206 I think was the kit number for the KLX300. Thinking about it, it may have been the 3rd clip. I was going back and forth on it. When/if it starts running crappy to where I have to take the carb off again, I will look and recall and even write it down.

Old 02-23-2008, 05:47 PM
1st Gear Member

Mine was purchased from DJ, put it on the 3rd clip no probs. A small bit of decal popping but it had that before!! with all the mods it realy wakes up the bike - going out on some trials tomorrow to give it a full testing!!

cheers

Old 03-02-2008, 04:23 PM

Hi all.I'm new to this forum and have been following all the great advice on the mods to do.So far I have done tires with michlin ac 10/11 very nice tires and grip well off road,k&n filter,larger snorkle box,jet kit.head pipe from a klx300 with pant guard shield and an FMF Powercore 4 pipe,acerbis bark busters,mx pro bars,gps mount,13 tooth front sprocket(had to put a spacer behind the sprocket to get it to fit right #JTF1565.13 from JT Sprockets)WOW did this bike wake up.Now considering fuel usage and what to do .Question I have is why remove the smog controll stuff and enlarge the crankcase breather hole in the air box or plug this and install a k&n filter on the 5/8 hose.What really will this do for performance of the bike or ??? Anything I have left out from the mods is not intentional but needed more info before I proceed .

Old 03-02-2008, 11:30 PM
Da dirty moderator
1st Gear Member

welcome... removing the smog stuff does nothing for performance, just makes the exhaust run cooler... and enlarging the breather hole just lets the motor breath easier... no real performance gains, hope this helps.

Old 03-05-2008, 05:53 AM

Thanks for the reply on the items I did not do yet.I will do the crankcase breather hole as I believe that letting it breath easier is beneficial to the whole engine.Wow did this bike wake up.Now when going up steep terrain or crusing through the woods trails it really is different,the bike is smooth throughout all the gears,seems I have alot more thump when hitting the throttle,sounds really nice to.When on the street or highway it really has pick up and go for a bike this size.I noticed alot of lower end torque when climbing over obstacles or careening through inclines.I ride mostly off road with a group of mx riders who look for challenges and tight trails,single track they call em.But to get there this is the part I like as I ride the bike to the staging areas .Any other mods out there please let me know.

Old 03-05-2008, 09:05 AM
Da dirty moderator
1st Gear Member

there is a ton of mods... its how deep you pockets are....

Old 03-09-2008, 07:03 PM

I drilled out the pilot screw to adjust it and it was not even out one turn. I turned it out 2 1/2 turns, adden a Hindle slip on and midpipe and took off the smog stuff. It really improved the performance and starts way easire now. I am still waiting for the DJ kit and am nor sure if I really need it. What do you think?

Old 03-10-2008, 12:12 AM
Da dirty moderator
1st Gear Member

if you put a pipe on it.. yes you need to increase the main jet. Im sure its even more lean than when it came from the factory.

Welcome aboard.

Quick Reply: Mod day - Airbox, carb, smog, crank case breather, carb 'T', and muffler completed