Mid Range Sputter / Misfire - Input welcome

Search this Thread

Old 07-31-2015, 09:32 PM
1st Gear Member

Alright, put the DJ128 in today, using the N1TC needle from the end of my tests yesterday at the 2nd notch.

Top end again feels like it's down on power a bit - to be expected.

Mid range is much better. 4k is still a little slow, 5k has much more life. I'll probably ride it the rest of the summer like this. I'll probably put the DJ needle in again to compare - but I honestly can't tell them apart while riding other than the n1tc is a little lean on the lower rpm's.

stupid weird carb.... why can't you just be normal like that other carbs?

Old 08-01-2015, 10:26 AM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by durielk
Why is it different....
For one thing, everyone throws around their jet size... 132 this and 128 that. Well, you can't judge a jet size by the number, there are 2 or 3 manf and a 132 from Kiehn is not the same as a 132 DJ.
For second thing, the slide on the carb is run by vacum & spring. Ever measure the spring load? Well then if the spring is weak the slide is going to rise higher at all engine rpms.
I rode yesterday, at times my bike was missing in mid range, at times it wasn't. I'm blaming it on old gas and moving on down the road.
You can if you state the brand. Those not using that brand can ignore the item. Since I use Kiehin, anyone using a Kiehin would have value in knowing what I"m using. Same with the Dyno Jet group.

That is why I made a suggestion to the moderator to make carb sticky threads considering one for each of the big three options - CVK34 w/Dyno Jet, CVK34 w/Kiehin (KLX300), and Mikuni TM36-68. It is a big topic and would solve a lot of the issues of mixed numbers and trouble shooting. You'd go with whichever of the three you are doing.

There are very few other options, the only ones I can think of are the Bill Blue Mikuni 34 and some that have done FCRs, but those are very few and farther between.

Old 08-11-2015, 05:15 PM
1st Gear Member

Just as an update to this thread:

Installing the Mikuni TM36-68 has resolved the midrange sputter described here.

I'm not sure if it's a defect in the carb, the fact that my slide was drilled to 7/64'ths or just some freak resonance at my elevation and my set up that caused the issue... but the mikuni is overly rich in the mid range as well and there's no stutter what-so-ever.

On a related note.... this carb is awesome and I highly recommend anyone considering it, to make the switch - you will not regret it.

Old 08-11-2015, 05:49 PM
1st Gear Member

I also made the switch to a TM36-68. Still playing with the jetting but the midrange stutter is gone. I never did mess with any electrical systems on the bike, so it pretty much rules those out as a cause of the "midrange sputter". Might try additional troubleshooting of the 'ol CVK if I have spare time, but at this point I just want the KLX back together so she can resume her daily commuting duties. Will be interesting to see if the Mikuni affects mileage at all.

Old 08-11-2015, 06:01 PM
1st Gear Member

I would like to continue to seek the problem with yall's CVK's. If/when yall are ready to loan them out, PM me..

Old 08-11-2015, 06:38 PM
1st Gear Member

I'm comfortable sending you mine now if you want to PM me your address klxster.

The mikuni is operating respectably well despite the jetting being off. I just ran part of a tank through and got 5.2L in 104 Kilometers, good mix of single track, fire road and paved road action. That's roughly 45mpg so I expect that to improve once I dial down the needle and main jet a bit. Even 45 mpg isn't half bad - especially considering the 13 tooth sprocket... some stock bikes are getting that...

Last edited by pwjm; 08-11-2015 at 06:41 PM.
Old 08-11-2015, 06:45 PM
1st Gear Member

Yeah, my Keihin is available also as the Mikuni is already working better than the CVK. If you run into any issues or extra costs shipping from Cananda, feel free to consider mine for a backup. I don't think I'll be doing any CVK troubleshooting anytime soon.

Old 08-24-2015, 10:58 PM
1st Gear Member

Aight.. Just came back from riding with Snowdrifter's carb installed exactly as he sent it..
My bike starts up instantly and runs perfectly fine.. I did everything I could think of to reproduce that horrible stumbling he video'd.. No luck..

What a mystery! Any ideas at all - anyone ??????

Old 08-25-2015, 10:17 PM
1st Gear Member

Update: Put in the "setup" from my carb into Snowdrifters - reinstalled Snows carb...

Bike won't throttle up - snap and hold to WOT produces a very slow power ramp-up... Seems to be obvious that the slide is not functioning correctly - As soon as the bike cools down, I will investigate....

Sidebar: If this is what Snow was experiencing, then it explains why his videos (back a few pages) seems like slow-motion.. He really was at WOT and that really was what he was getting from the bike..

Old 08-25-2015, 10:33 PM
1st Gear Member

toldaso

Also, don't forget to drag the brake to increase the load on the engine. I had to do this when at sea level to get the stuttering with the 138 in.

Last edited by pwjm; 08-25-2015 at 10:35 PM.

Quick Reply: Mid Range Sputter / Misfire - Input welcome