Michelin trials tires

Search this Thread

Old 11-19-2007, 10:33 PM
1st Gear Member
Default RE: Michelin trials tires

Be aware, there are trails tyres, and trails pattern tyres.
The two are not the same!!

Old 11-19-2007, 11:49 PM
1st Gear Member

isn't it funny that every time i have a question, or think about doing something, someone here brings it up. i have heard all of the same talk about trials tires being the secret weapon. its on the planetklx site also, under the tire talk section. i'm hoping to see some locals using them. i guess it only matters what works in your own neck of the woods.

Old 11-20-2007, 12:26 AM

I've had a MT-43 on my CRF250X for about 400km now and I can guarantee you they stick like velcro. My last 2 rides have been in mud and I don't know how but they grip better than a new knobby. A few of my riding buddies got them 1st and I gave them a hard time as they look a bit gay but seeing them in action I was quickly converted. One bloke has over 2000km on it on a KTM300EXC he would only get 1000km max out of a knobby.

One point to mention for lower power bikes is that it grips so well it can sometimes be a problem at times you are wanting a bit of wheel spin.

Old 11-20-2007, 12:33 AM
Admin
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: tintman

I've had a MT-43 on my CRF250X for about 400km now and I can guarantee you they stick like velcro. My last 2 rides have been in mud and I don't know how but they grip better than a new knobby. A few of my riding buddies got them 1st and I gave them a hard time as they look a bit gay but seeing them in action I was quickly converted. One bloke has over 2000km on it on a KTM300EXC he would only get 1000km max out of a knobby.

One point to mention for lower power bikes is that it grips so well it can sometimes be a problem at times you are wanting a bit of wheel spin.
That's the report I wanted to hear, tintman. I have a couple of questions, though. Does the grippiness come from running the pressure very low? I've heard folks run them down to like 6 lbs. Is that what you do?

And if you run very low pressures, do you have a problem with pinch flats?

Last, looks like there is little side tread. I was wondering if you find they slide out in tight corners where there is no rut or berm?

Old 11-20-2007, 02:06 AM
1st Gear Member

cool video..that course would hone your riding skills for sure...but I can't believe that the memory ran out on the last lap...that's brutal![:@]

Old 11-20-2007, 02:44 AM

ORIGINAL: Nobrakes

ORIGINAL: tintman

That's the report I wanted to hear, tintman. I have a couple of questions, though. Does the grippiness come from running the pressure very low? I've heard folks run them down to like 6 lbs. Is that what you do?

And if you run very low pressures, do you have a problem with pinch flats?

Last, looks like there is little side tread. I was wondering if you find they slide out in tight corners where there is no rut or berm?

I run 8 psi. The reason I went with the MT-43 is it has heavier sidewalls than most trials tyres so is more resistant to pinch flats at those pressures. I think it gripps better both due to the softer compound and the larger footprint. If you had knobbs this soft they would tear off.

When you gas it out of a corner and it starts sliding I find it starts off sliding a bit easier than a knobby but seems bite at a certain point and hook up. It takes a gouple of times to feel comfortable with the sideways grip as it is very easy to go from a wheel spinning slide to a wheelstand almost instantly. Probably not as much of a problem on a more powerful bike.