Marcelino Camshaft Mod with 351 kit.

Search this Thread

Old 06-26-2011, 12:16 AM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by jhoffy22
No it's in the third position with the 128 main jet. I might need to try the second position down?
I doubt that. I tried the 2nd down and it was just a bit on the lean side. I don't know of any who run 2nd down.

Old 06-26-2011, 12:19 AM
1st Gear Member
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by IDRIDR
I doubt that. I tried the 2nd down and it was just a bit on the lean side. I don't know of any who run 2nd down.
Hmm, I better double check my cam shafts to make sure I didn't retard it. Would the cam shaft mod effect the jetting mid range at all? I have the stock pilot jet still.

Old 06-26-2011, 01:01 AM
1st Gear Member

Wow. Too many changes at once for me to keep up with. However, any decel popping I've ever had has been from being too lean. When you say the pipe is really hot, that also leads me to think it's too lean. With that setup, you'll probably want at least a 38 Pilot, if not a 40.

But, I'm a rank novice wrencher compared to some of your other advisors on this thread, so, what do I know?

Old 06-26-2011, 08:49 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by GaryC
Bill Blue recommends 2 up on the main and at least one up on the pilot for the 351 I believe.
The pilot you can adjust to see where you are with the AF screw. If you are out more than 2 1/2 turns you might want to go bigger on the pilot.
Exactly what my Bill Blue 331 did...I had a lean pop on decelleration. Kouba Screw out to 4+. Changed to a bigger Pilot, 1.75 turns out, and lean pop changed to a 4-Stroke Burble on decelleration...which is perfect.

Old 06-26-2011, 09:19 PM
1st Gear Member
1st Gear Member

NOTE TO ALL: I just completed this mod with the BB 351 kit. I have the stock pilot jet with the kouba fuel/air screw 2.5 turns out and the biggest main jet that came with the Dynojet kit (132 main) along with the needle clip 4 notches down from the top with two washer on top of it and the bike is still running lean. I'm going to my local bike shop to see if I can get a bigger main jet and try to figure out the conversion for the Dynojet kit so I get the next size up from Dynojet's #132 main jet. Just know that your bike will be running lean if you do this mod with the BB 351 until you really up the main jet. It should also be noted that I live in Ohio which is about 900ft average above sea level.

Old 06-26-2011, 09:39 PM
1st Gear Member

NOTE TO ALL: I'm going to my local bike shop to see if I can get a bigger main jet and try to figure out the conversion for the Dynojet kit so I get the next size up from Dynojet's #132 main jet.
Take one of the other Dynojet mains with you, so the local shop will know exactly which style jet you need. It might save you a trip!

Old 06-26-2011, 10:03 PM
1st Gear Member

NOTE TO ALL: I just completed this mod with the BB 351 kit. I have the stock pilot jet with the kouba fuel/air screw 2.5 turns out and the biggest main jet that came with the Dynojet kit (132 main) along with the needle clip 4 notches down from the top with two washer on top of it and the bike is still running lean. I'm going to my local bike shop to see if I can get a bigger main jet and try to figure out the conversion for the Dynojet kit so I get the next size up from Dynojet's #132 main jet. Just know that your bike will be running lean if you do this mod with the BB 351 until you really up the main jet. It should also be noted that I live in Ohio which is about 900ft average above sea level.
Please don't spout your results as gospel to any poor soul who may be reading this trying to get good information.

Old 06-26-2011, 10:21 PM
1st Gear Member

Yeah, actually Jhoffy, you did some major mods here all at once so you can only say what happened in your case. you put in the 351 and didn't dial it in so you don't really know if the lean condition is a result of the cam mod or the big bore, or the rejetting you just did with the pipe etc... I like what you are doing but it's an awful lot to do in one svelt swoop and hope to be spot on with what Bill Blue suggests for a "starting point". Also, your rings are probably not even seated yet, unless you ran the **** out of it already!!!!!
Just sayin'.

Old 06-26-2011, 10:39 PM
1st Gear Member

NOTE TO ALL: I just completed this mod with the BB 351 kit. I have the stock pilot jet with the kouba fuel/air screw 2.5 turns out and the biggest main jet that came with the Dynojet kit (132 main) along with the needle clip 4 notches down from the top with two washer on top of it and the bike is still running lean....
You are not really endearing yourself to this community jhoffy22. You started a thread specifically on the jetting of your carb (https://www.kawasakiforums.com/forum...bad-now-35912/) and in spite of numerous replies from some of the more knowledgeable members of this community telling you to up your pilot jet, down your main jet, and reset your needle position you seem to have TOTALLY IGNORED the advice given. And yet you still claim the bike is running lean...

Pray, do tell how you are so certain it is lean? Where is it lean (at idle, first quarter turn of the throttle, full throttle, etc)? Have you put it on a dyno and/or gotten an air/fuel mixture probe down the pipe and tested the mixture at varied throttle positions? And what changes have you made to the jetting to test your theory of it being too lean, as it seems to me you have just left the settings the same as in the above mentioned thread from before you slapped the 351 kit on?

I'm sorry to rain on your parade as you are clearly very excited about modding your bike and extracting the best power your can, but you need to reel in your enthuriasm a little. Take a methodical approach to the modding and tuning process, documenting each incremental change you make and the effect it has on the bikes running. Once you have the data to analyse, take the time to analyse it properly and then test whatever theories you come up with to confirm whether you are on the right track or not. The, once you ACTUALLY have things working and evidence to back up the conviction you already have you can contemplate feeding your findings back to teh community as advice. And it's always wise to caveat your findings with teh specific conditions and variables of your bike/location as they have an impact of the mods too.

Right, well now that I've made my play for assh*le of the month award, I'll be moving on...

Old 06-26-2011, 10:56 PM
TNC
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by Arctra
You are not really endearing yourself to this community jhoffy22. You started a thread specifically on the jetting of your carb (https://www.kawasakiforums.com/forum...bad-now-35912/) and in spite of numerous replies from some of the more knowledgeable members of this community telling you to up your pilot jet, down your main jet, and reset your needle position you seem to have TOTALLY IGNORED the advice given. And yet you still claim the bike is running lean...

Pray, do tell how you are so certain it is lean? Where is it lean (at idle, first quarter turn of the throttle, full throttle, etc)? Have you put it on a dyno and/or gotten an air/fuel mixture probe down the pipe and tested the mixture at varied throttle positions? And what changes have you made to the jetting to test your theory of it being too lean, as it seems to me you have just left the settings the same as in the above mentioned thread from before you slapped the 351 kit on?

I'm sorry to rain on your parade as you are clearly very excited about modding your bike and extracting the best power your can, but you need to reel in your enthuriasm a little. Take a methodical approach to the modding and tuning process, documenting each incremental change you make and the effect it has on the bikes running. Once you have the data to analyse, take the time to analyse it properly and then test whatever theories you come up with to confirm whether you are on the right track or not. The, once you ACTUALLY have things working and evidence to back up the conviction you already have you can contemplate feeding your findings back to teh community as advice. And it's always wise to caveat your findings with teh specific conditions and variables of your bike/location as they have an impact of the mods too.

Right, well now that I've made my play for assh*le of the month award, I'll be moving on...
LOL!...a'hole of the month?...no, Arctra...it's called "tough love" in the U.S.

Quick Reply: Marcelino Camshaft Mod with 351 kit.