A lurker finally registers!

Search this Thread

Old 05-23-2006, 11:15 PM
Default A lurker finally registers!

Hello all from the Midwest!

I've been lurking in this forum for about 2-3 weeks now. I'm interested in getting a KLX 250S but will probably not make the purchase until this fall or next spring.

Why you ask? Well, I am the co-founder of Christian Brothers Motocross ministry. Currently, I race motocross and do church services and prayer services along with my teammates at our local MX tracks. We have built many relationships with fellow racers and their families and together we all try to emphasize the family aspect of the sport of motocross. My plan is to finish out this year racing and then "retire" from competition and focus more on the ministry aspect but continue to ride dirtbikes with my son.

I race a 2003 Honda CRF450R. Before that I was on a 2004 Honda CRF250R and before that I started my racing "career" on a 2002 Cannondale X440s. But I started riding motorcylces when I was 14 on a 1979 Kawasaki KE125. So, I've always had a soft spot for Kawi's.

My partner in ministry broke his leg racing earlier this year and since then my wife has requested that this be my last year of racing. I'm willing to oblige her because I'm not that fast or competitive and as long as I can still ride dirt bikes I'll be happy! By the way, I'm 40 years old and have only been racing motocross the last 5 years.

Anyway, as I started thinking about what I would replace my CRF with the KLX 250S has come to the top of the heap! I rode a friends KLX300 about 5 years ago and that it was a blast to ride! I like the idea of this 250S because of it's smaller size (more nimble in the woods and trails and occasional jaunt on a MX track) and because of some of it's motocross like qualities (USD forks and semi-adjustable suspension).

So, I'll keep checking in on you guys and how things are going with the KLX and whenever I get one, I'll let everyone know. I'll probably get a KLX125L for the boy at the same time so dad and son have matching bikes (he rides a 1983 Honda XR80 now).

If you'd like to know more about the CBMX ministry please check us out at www.cbmxracing.com. Also, just an FYI...World of Powersports or WOPS as we call it is my local dealer and where I bought all of the above mentioned bikes. They also sponsor our CBMX Race team. So, if anyone needs any inside info let me know. I pretty much know all of the guys that work in the parts department.

Take care!

Old 05-24-2006, 03:12 AM
Default RE: A lurker finally registers!

midwestrider,

Welcome out of the lurking closet and into the Sonshine!

Nice ministry you have there! I am going to spend some time on your site to find out more.

I'm too old to seriously think about racing again - 58 and counting! It hurts too much and takes too long for stuff to heal.

However, I do love riding my KLX250S and have taken the bike that was delivered to me in November from the dealer to what it is today, a long range, woods capable bike that is fun to ride and performs quite nicely. All information was gathered right here!

Welcome aboard the board and hope to hear more from you in the future!

Old 05-24-2006, 04:48 AM
Your Humble Moderator/Admin
1st Gear Member

Welcome my friend.

Old 05-24-2006, 06:03 AM

Thanks guys! I can't believe that I forgot to mention that right before I started racing I had bought a 2001 Honda XR650L that I was dual-sporting on. But I ended up spending about 90% of my time in the dirt and that's when I went and got a MX bike. The other deciding factor was that I got bumped into by a car at a stop light on my 650. I wasn't hurt at all but it was enough to persuade me to just go 100% dirt.

I'll keep checking in on a daily basis. I know there's been a lot of questions about engine work and tire changes and filters and oils, etc. etc. Well, as a motocrosser I'm pretty familiar with all of those things since I performed all of them numerous times. I'm not really a gear head but I like to learn and always feel better about doing work myself instead of letting someone else do it.

The info on this sight is AWESOME and you guys are doing very well sharing it with others. In my experience with other boards that's the best way to build a community of people with a common interest. When I became a Cannondale owner I found www.thumpertalk.com was the best source at the time and was around when www.cannondaler.com was created and still visit there daily. That's a great group of people as well. This forum has that same kind of feel to it! Good job on building that kind of community! [sm=smiley20.gif]

Old 05-26-2006, 01:10 AM

[sm=welcomesign.gif] Hey Midwestrider. It's funny that you deal with/know the guys at World Of Powersports; I just made my first order through them. I received my order confirmation on Mon, and was expecting too receive my order by the end of the week. Are they good about notifying you of parts being on backorder? I tried to use UPS tracking and they haven't received my order yet. I get a little nervous with all of the problems that people on this forum..myself included..have had with ordering parts online.

Old 05-26-2006, 02:41 PM
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: konacoiler

[sm=welcomesign.gif] Hey Midwestrider. It's funny that you deal with/know the guys at World Of Powersports; I just made my first order through them. I received my order confirmation on Mon, and was expecting too receive my order by the end of the week. Are they good about notifying you of parts being on backorder? I tried to use UPS tracking and they haven't received my order yet. I get a little nervous with all of the problems that people on this forum..myself included..have had with ordering parts online.
WOPS is also my local dealer. and I would say that the only thing that I'm not pleased with is that they don't notify me when somethng is backordered. I have got in the habit of calling about three days after ordering something to find out what the status is. That happened with my new snorkle..... It was backordered from Kawasaki and I had to call to find it out. I eventually got it but they usually don't call untill it comes in.

Old 05-26-2006, 06:16 PM

I agree with vfrpilot, WOPS does not call and let you know something is backordered. If you order your parts with them on the phone they should be able to tell you at the time of your order whether or not something's backordered. They've told me that before when I've ordered parts at the store.

Old 05-26-2006, 08:55 PM

Thanks for the input. I'm starting to think that my parts are on backorder. My order doesn't even show up on their "order status" link..even though they withdrew my money yesterday. I really don't understand why businesses can't send an email about backordered/out of stock parts. WOPS definitely isn't the only place guilty of this. I think I will stick with Chaparrall from now on. If an item is out of stock it says it right with the description/price. I would just buy from my local dealer, but their customer service isn't that great either. Anyway, didn't mean to get off on a rant. [sm=rant.gif] Thanks again guys.

Old 05-27-2006, 12:24 AM

[sm=sigh.gif] Just got a reply too my email..parts are on back order..will be 2 MORE WEEKS! I can't believe this [sm=smiley35.gif].