Low-sided...bike slightly broken

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-2008, 09:07 AM
1st Gear Member
Default Low-sided...bike slightly broken

I posted by "crash" report here:

http://my2wheels.com/forum/showthrea...=5777#post5777

My left arm's a bit sore and my left ankle has started to throb a bit but otherwise I'm OK. Bike needs a new clutch lever, left hand guard, turn signal, and a shifter (I think I can take it off and hammer it back into shape). Starts up OK so I just need to replace/fix the broken bits.

My first fall on a motorcycle on the street. Lucky for me I wasn't going that fast, landed well, and at a time when there wasn't much traffic. Totally me being a n00b.

Old 01-05-2008, 02:13 PM
1st Gear Member
Default RE: Low-sided...bike slightly broken

Glad to hear you are mostly OK. I always roll on the brakes very gradually in the rain with knobbies. I've had the rear kick out just from downshifting, it can be a bit unsettling when you are trying to stop short because of a light that just changed.

Old 01-05-2008, 02:22 PM
1st Gear Member

Bummer! Sorry to hear about your crash. That rear brake can be bad news sometimes. I don't use it much on the street.

Old 01-05-2008, 02:55 PM
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: HeavyFuel

Bummer! Sorry to hear about your crash. That rear brake can be bad news sometimes. I don't use it much on the street.
Yep & semi knobbies only make it worse. Glad the damage was minimal.

Old 01-05-2008, 04:27 PM
1st Gear Member

glad to hear you fine, well mostly. could have been a lot worse.

yea i learned not to use rear too much on the street, its really easy for it to lock up and kick out on ya.

side note: make sure the radiator isnt cracked.

Old 01-05-2008, 05:41 PM
Your Humble Moderator/Admin
1st Gear Member

Good to hear you are OK, I gotta tell you the worst combination is compression and touching the back brake. Doesn't matter if the road is wet or dry, you just have to remember what gear you are in and adjust the clutch let out and the back brake accordingly.

Old 01-05-2008, 05:59 PM
1st Gear Member

Thanks everyone.

ORIGINAL: justanotheradikt
ide note: make sure the radiator isnt cracked.
Hadn't considered that...will do.

ORIGINAL: deej
Good to hear you are OK, I gotta tell you the worst combination is compression and touching the back brake. Doesn't matter if the road is wet or dry, you just have to remember what gear you are in and adjust the clutch let out and the back brake accordingly.
+1.

Old 01-06-2008, 01:29 AM
1st Gear Member

Glad to hear you came out with no injuries to speak of.

I had a street mishap a couple of months ago where some IDIOT passes me, then immediately slams on his brakes because he figured out he was missing his turn-off into a supermarket parket lot. I purposely used the rear brake to lay it down quick. Wheels wereslightly under his bumper when I came to a halt. The jerk jumped out long enough to see whether I had damaged his car, then took-off.I turnedhis plate number into the cops...dunno what became of itas they never contacted me.

After a new right hand guard, side cover, footpeg mount and handle bars, the bike is back to normal. I somehow should have seen that coming in a country where people stop in the middle of a traffic lane to park and sometimes use the on-coming lane as a turn lane...oh well, live and learn, right?

Keep both wheels on the ground, bro!

Old 01-12-2008, 01:42 AM
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: bryantjt

I've had the rear kick out just from downshifting, it can be a bit unsettling when you are trying to stop short because of a light that just changed.
I did that in a parking lot once and it got my attention. Thankfully I was going slow so it was easy to control.

Old 01-12-2008, 02:35 AM
1st Gear Member

In a controlled situation its a good idea to see how much it takes to lock up the rear. Also most ***** will give you a good warning before completely letting go, a nice loud growl. My street tires don't, heck they don't even chirp when you break them loose, more of a light hussssshhh sound. But even when locked they track predictably compared to *****.