Loudness Test Between Stock & Q4 - Suggestions Welcomed

Search this Thread

Old 07-16-2015, 10:49 AM
1st Gear Member
Default Loudness Test Between Stock & Q4 - Suggestions Welcomed

Hey guys!

I'm looking to put together a little video comparing the stock noise levels to the FMF Q4. Yeah, I decided to go with it after all.

Why am I doing it? Well, I'm half a nerd at times. That, and when looking for comparisons of the two I didn't find a whole lot of helpful info. Loudness is such a subjective thing. "It's WAAAAY louder" "It's not much louder", etc...don't really help. Even videos didn't help much. Just a guy walking around his motorcycle with his cellphone before and after. Half the time the audio clipping. Can't get much out of that.

I'm blessed to have all the sound equipment necessary to do this and would like to put them to use. (sound recording is my job; field recording is my hobby)

From a field recordist's point of view, I have a lot of ideas - too many I fear. Multiple perspectives, distances, mics, etc, etc. But I would like for this to be useful in some way to whomever, so I'm hoping I can get suggestions from you guys.

What would you like to see/hear in a video comparison?

This will NOT be scientific. That much I understand. My hopes are to represent the differences in loudness and tone as best possible. All things will be equal here. The only variable will be the viewers listening device.

My initial thinking on what to do:

- Everything recorded on the same day
- Record in quiet, open area with nothing to reflect the sound on a windless day. (I have wind protection for any wind problems)
- Record dba per SAE J2525 test procedures (I'm open to other suggestions here)
- First camera always on the sound meter
- Second camera always on the tach
- Third camera capturing the whole process
- Record close, medium, and far distances
- Record different perspectives: behind and in front and or/sides (this is where my brain over-complicate things. Maybe all this isn't necessary. Suggestions?)
- Record from the driver's perspective (both stationary and moving)
- Record drive-by (at what distance?)

That's basically it. What I'll do in the video is jump back and forth between the audio for each comparison. That should give a good idea of their difference. Mic placement and levels will be precisely the same for each comparison. (preamp levels are digitally controlled and give repeatable results)

So yeah, I'm a geek.

Am I missing anything? If you were doing this test, what would you add/remove?

And again, this isn't meant to be the be-all end-all. Just a fun thing for me to do in my spare time, and something that can hopefully help someone.

Thanks for your input.

Old 07-16-2015, 02:18 PM
1st Gear Member

I think it would be sufficient to just take a simple spl meter like radio shack and just measure the db level of both exhausts at 3 different locations like 2 meter behind, to the left and right from the end of the exhaust and post the results. A video with soundtrack does not help much IMHO. I have a very high end audio system and could easily hear the differences in volume and sound. Most peoples I believe just have simple built in speakers in their laptops etc or small computer speakers. If they first listen to the stock exhaust at decent level and then to the Q4 they probably drive their amps and or speakers into clipping

Old 07-16-2015, 02:39 PM
1st Gear Member

I'm with Duomike. K.I.S.S.
A scientific approach would be great: as in having the all measuring parameters consistent. Use the specs for loudness that are used by event organizers (& LEOs) regarding angle and distance from exhaust outlet.

Old 07-18-2015, 12:03 PM
1st Gear Member

Forgot to mention to measure at different rpm's, like at idle, 5000 and 9000

Old 07-19-2015, 07:20 AM
1st Gear Member

Thanks guy. Appreciate the comments. Yeah, I forgot to mention the varying rpm's. And will try to keep it as simple as possible.

My Q4 just arrived and of course it's pissing rain today.

On a side note, a couple years ago I picked up a sound level meter for around $50, made locally (Taiwan). I remembered seeing an ad for a similar looking one at revzilla for a high price. Just double checked and it's exactly the same meter.

It's listed as a Bike Master sound meter and goes for around $200. Not even rebranded. Still has the same Tenmars TM-102 label on it. You can search for that and find them cheaper, but still nowhere near $50.

Kind of amazing how that works.