Lost my reserve tank

Search this Thread

Old 12-26-2008, 09:04 PM
1st Gear Member
Default Lost my reserve tank

Had the fuel tank off of my '07 klx 250 to make some jetting changes. Since then I've never had to switch to "reserve" even though I am certain that I have run the main tank dry. I have checked my on-line service manual and it appears that all of the fuel lines are connected correctly. The jetting changes were done in an effort to richen things up after installation of full Muzzy and air box lid removal. That being said, I can't imagine my gas mileage
would have increased. Any input would be appreciated. Thanks.

Last edited by rockabillyrider; 12-26-2008 at 10:54 PM.
Old 12-26-2008, 10:37 PM
1st Gear Member

I'm no expert but I changed out my stock tank for an Acerbis and the gaggle of 4 hoses coming from the stock tank vs. one hose from the Acerbis had me scratching my head for a minute.

You might have your primary and reserve hoses backwards.

Old 12-26-2008, 10:51 PM
1st Gear Member

According to the on-line manual, it seems that everything is correct. I'll be doing some suspension mods soon, so I'll give it a closer look. Thanks for you're input.

Old 12-27-2008, 03:31 AM
1st Gear Member

its one tank, it just picks from a different level in the tank, mine did get better for light trail riding and got worse for wide open throttle freeway- but if I'm in traffic- stop and go-it did get a little better.

really, the big change happened when I lowered the gearing.

Old 12-27-2008, 04:02 AM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by rockabillyrider
According to the on-line manual, it seems that everything is correct. I'll be doing some suspension mods soon, so I'll give it a closer look. Thanks for you're input.

I'd lay odds you have the lines swapped. I don't have my bike with me, but my manual shows the 'main' hose going to the elbow fitting on the petcock while reserve goes to the straight fitting.

The orientation of the tank fittings shows 'Main' to be either more forward or more to the left when compared to the reserve fitting. I'm going to the Kawi dealer later today and will try to remember to get the exact orientation for you.

Got a brand spankin new Optimate batt conditioner/charger waiting for me. Hey, for Winter, that's as exciting as it gets around here somethimes.

P.S. was the online manual for a KLX250R by chance?...big difference in the fuel supply.

Old 12-27-2008, 04:48 AM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by tremor38
P.S. was the online manual for a KLX250R by chance?...big difference in the fuel supply.

good thinking........... I almost down loaded that one the first time I saw it

Old 12-27-2008, 05:08 AM
1st Gear Member

On my old KLR the petcock had two tubes that extended up into the tank. The taller one was the normal fuel pick up, and the short one was the reserve. When the fuel level got down to the tall pickup you would have to turn the petcock to reserve, since the reserve inlet was lower the level of the gas left in the tank was still above it, and would still flow to the carb. I had the whole petcock assembly out of the KLR once, and was surprised how easily the normal "on" pickup tube sliped in and out of the petcock assembly. I'm not sure if the KLX petcock is built the same, but if it is, your pick up tube for the normal on position may have come out of the petcock valve assembly, and now both valve positions, on and resererve, allow all of the gas to flow out of the carb.
Just something to check out. Good luck.

Old 12-27-2008, 01:38 PM
1st Gear Member

The on-line manual is for the '07 klx. I'll have to look into the petcock to make sure nothing has changed. Good advice, Thanks.

Old 12-27-2008, 02:07 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by rockabillyrider
The on-line manual is for the '07 klx. I'll have to look into the petcock to make sure nothing has changed. Good advice, Thanks.
Ok, I went and looked at a KLX at the dealer. The forwardmost fuel nipple on your tank is the 'main;' it runs to the elbow nipple on your petcock. The aftmost fuel nipple on your tank is for 'Reserve' it runs to the straight nipple on the petcock, which is directly opposite of the Main/Res/Off selector.

For Dan8888, the petcock on the KLX250S is nothing like the KLR250. The KLR250 petcock is integral unit with two different length pickups and inserts into the bottom of the tank, as you descibe.

The KLX250S petcock doesn't insert into the tank. It's totally external and hooks to two separate hoses which connect to two separate brass fittings on the bottom of the tank. Of these two brass fittings, one fitting's pickup is longer (main) and it is mounted forward of the reserve fitting.

Old 12-27-2008, 02:19 PM
1st Gear Member

WOW! You guys are really great. The Maico group could learn a bit from the Kawi guys. Thanks again, I may have to go get muddy!

Quick Reply: Lost my reserve tank