Looking to get a KLX250s

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-2016, 10:34 PM
Default Looking to get a KLX250s

Hello all, I've been looking to get myself a Kawi KLX250s for school when I leave in a few months. I live in California, and just think it would be a great choice to get to and from class. Currently found one that's pretty close to me. It's a 2010 with only 600 miles. I called the guy, and he said it's been sitting for three years. He just put in a new battery and it starts up right away apparently. He did say that it needs a carb clean though. Just wanted the experts opinions on if I should go for it, or if I should steer clear. Thanks in advance!

https://inlandempire.craigslist.org/mcy/5460986417.html

Old 02-26-2016, 11:00 PM
1st Gear Member

It depends on how comfy you are working on a bike.
If it looks as good as the photos, as it should with 600 miles, then I say go for it. Not so sure about the price, but it is a hefty discount on a newish bike.
Give it a good carb cleaning and ride.
And use the dirty carb as a bargaining chip.

Old 02-27-2016, 12:12 AM

Originally Posted by MaximusPrime
It depends on how comfy you are working on a bike.
If it looks as good as the photos, as it should with 600 miles, then I say go for it. Not so sure about the price, but it is a hefty discount on a newish bike.
Give it a good carb cleaning and ride.
And use the dirty carb as a bargaining chip.
Honestly have no knowledge of working on bikes. This would be my first, and I'd be learning as I go with it. How much would it cost to fix the carb? Is it worth bothering with, or should I wait to find one that's in better condition? Thanks

Old 02-27-2016, 01:50 AM
1st Gear Member

"He said it needs a carb cleaning" - this means it doesn't run well.

"Honestly have no knowledge of working on bikes." - this means it won't run well until you acquire the skills and knowledge to successfully remove, tear down, clean correctly and thoroughly, reassemble, and reinstall the carb.

"This would be my first, and I'd be learning as I go with it." - this means the bike could be running poorly ( or not running at all if you make things worse) for quite a long time..

A six year old bike with 600 miles could have internal engine damage due to a prolonged "set up" - I'd certainly have a compression check done on it..

Then again, I wouldn't buy it or even go look at it if it's owner admitted to it being "set up" for more than a year in an environment where it sees temp changes ( which causes condensation/rusting internally)...

Sorry to be blunt - I suk like that..

Old 02-27-2016, 05:07 AM

Offer the dude 2800, pay no more than 3000 and take it home and clean the carb yourself. Multiple how to's and DIY's online. Fairly simple procedure and will save you a good bit comparing to taking it to a shop. Low miles wouldn't worry me, clean the carb and get an easy 25k on the thing without issues.

Old 02-27-2016, 12:36 PM
1st Gear Member

Go for it, you're going to school to learn. You can learn to tear the carb down in a couple of hours. You may be able to get it cleaned out with carb cleaner to ride for a while. If he drained the carb, it shouldn't be too bad.

The bike can sit for quite a while without damage IMO, most of the engine is alum alloy which does not rust.

Old 02-27-2016, 01:07 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by gilmorec61
Offer the dude 2800, pay no more than 3000 and take it home and clean the carb yourself. Multiple how to's and DIY's online. Fairly simple procedure and will save you a good bit comparing to taking it to a shop. Low miles wouldn't worry me, clean the carb and get an easy 25k on the thing without issues.
Or figure $100 or so to have it cleaned at a bike shop. Only issue that may pop up is if the cam chain tensioner fails, but that's a simple relatively inexpensive fix, making the bike pretty much bullet proof.

If the carb is to be cleaned that is prime time to put in the jetting the bikes normally need. The KLX250 Cheap Mods doc in my signature gives the Kawasaki part numbers if the Kaw parts are used. If you want to do a Dyno Jet kit get with KLXter, he has it pretty much down pat. Both will make the bike start easier, warm up quicker, and add a couple horsepower. Don't get too shook up about any of the pollution stuff since it does nothing for performance, makes the bike exhaust run a bit cooler, which does nothing for it.

Do the jetting and you will be rewarded and pleased. The bike is not a rocket, but quite agile and an easy ride. Off road it is at home, in town it is great, on the open road it is tedious to say the least. Stay off the highways as much as possible and it is a blast. Highways can be done though, without issue.

If you are a road rider only, including dirt roads, with no off roading, go to a 39T rear sprocket and a 15T counter shaft sprocket for maximum comfortable cruising speed, hurts initial acceleration a bit, but worth it if you do a fair amount of riding in the 45-75 mph range. I did it for a bit, finding I could cruise at 70 mph decently, of course I didn't shift into 6th until around 60 mph with the tall gears and ran 5th when running 50-55 mph for the most part. Definitely street gearing. I think the SF (supermoto version) already runs the 39T rear, with a 14T front (maybe).

Last edited by klx678; 02-27-2016 at 01:12 PM.
Old 02-27-2016, 02:18 PM
1st Gear Member

One thing you can count on, is that we won't let you down - All of us, here in the forum, will help you and guide you with anything you need to accomplish on a KLX250S - you'll never be "alone and in the dark"..

Old 02-27-2016, 04:30 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by ArmatageShanks
Hello all, I've been looking to get myself a Kawi KLX250s for school when I leave in a few months. I live in California, and just think it would be a great choice to get to and from class. Currently found one that's pretty close to me. It's a 2010 with only 600 miles. I called the guy, and he said it's been sitting for three years. He just put in a new battery and it starts up right away apparently. He did say that it needs a carb clean though. Just wanted the experts opinions on if I should go for it, or if I should steer clear. Thanks in advance!

https://inlandempire.craigslist.org/mcy/5460986417.html
I just revisited your post. If there is no rust I'd take a serious look at it. If it runs on choke and will run up in the rpm okay that means the pilot jet is clogged up, a common thing on a bike that has been sitting. Not a big deal to get taken care of. When working in the dealership we saw low mile bikes that sat for some time, seldom any issues beyond clogged up carbs and dead batteries. Clean the carb, swap out the battery, fresh oil and off it went.

If you really want a good opinion, flash the cash for the owner to let him know you're ready to buy or even actually do so with the understanding the sale depends on having a mechanic check it out - and to get a price on carb cleaning. Any reputable shop will give an honest assessment. The good shop employees and owners are enthusiasts and want you to have a good bike without problems. Other option is to ket a truly knowledgeable person to go with you to check the bike over for you.

Old 02-27-2016, 05:16 PM

Another thing i forgot to mention is that if it is running, throw some fresh gas along with some seafoam and let it run for 5-10 min and then let it sit overnight and then see if it runs. Seafoam works wonders

Quick Reply: Looking to get a KLX250s