Longer swingarm?

Search this Thread

Old 11-15-2013, 01:57 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by Guido
So how's it ride? Really well. It seems more stable in a straight line ... I find myself hitting the steering stops more frequently while practicing figure 8s and such.
Good work! It doesn't surprise me that you saw an improvement in stability.*

I have a Buell XB12Ss (the LONG wheelbase version). It's got a 2" extended swingarm over the standard model, and it transforms the XB from a barely rideable wheelie machine with a nervous front end to a very composed & beautifully-handling bike.

As you found however, the longer wheelbase means you'll be hitting the steering locks more often during low-speed maneuvers. This can be disconcerting in parking lots and/or gnarly terrain. Perhaps you can relocate the steering stop tabs for your next welding project(?)!

Old 11-16-2013, 12:34 AM
1st Gear Member

Odd thing about those steering stops - I have an Ascerbis tank and the forks (or triple clamp, or whatever it is up there) gently contact the tank on the left side just as the steering stop is reached. There's a small black mark on the tank. So without relocating the tank I think I'm stuck with the steering where it is. I wonder if anyone else has this problem.

And I may have made an small boo boo in the length. The snail adjusters are at 8 1/2 with a new chain. I've only left myself 2 mm of adjustment to compensate for chain stretch. Oops. I can replace the adjustment pin thingy with a socket head bolt and get another mm or so but a full 1" extension would been better. Oh well, next time.

Can anyone recommend a good chain that won't stretch? Right now I have a Primary Drive x-ring. After just a couple of days of riding, one hard, it seems to have loosened a bit. How much I haven't determined.