Long wearing tires?

Search this Thread

Old 04-10-2012, 05:35 PM
1st Gear Member
Default Long wearing tires?

Since I am commuting and plan on putting some real miles on this thing I think spending the money to get a longer wearing tire might pay off.

I really only desire that it can handle dirt roads with no issue. More of a true dual sport vs dirt tire is fine. Although the 603's seem to handle fine and I was able to do some dirt roads at speed (and fun). I went through a sand section with it in a new development and it was a bit like snowboarding without the control

So are there any tires that would do an honest 6-7k? That would give me a full season of riding.

Old 04-10-2012, 05:54 PM
1st Gear Member

i just picked up the the shinko 705 after reading all the reviews....i believe they make it in the klx250s tire sizes also....and shinko warranty is great if anything goes wrong with the tire....dot approved....i don't have any personal experience yet because i'm waiting to get little more mileage on my stock sf tires with 7,000+ miles on them so far....i've heard people doing 10,000 miles on the stock rears...

Old 04-10-2012, 06:04 PM
1st Gear Member

My first set of replacment tires were Kenda 760 trackmasters and they are a fine tire (dot Knobbie) but I ride more street than dirt and they wore fast as the rear will need replaced and it is about a year old now. It's got about half a season left. They were better off road than the stockers but not as good on the tarmac. I ran the rear at 14 psi and it still wore out in the center. If you look close though my chichken stripes are almost non-existant as I used the whole tire. Still I will probably go with something alot like it in the future as it did well off road and in the snow.

Old 04-10-2012, 06:58 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by ahnh666
i just picked up the the shinko 705 after reading all the reviews....i believe they make it in the klx250s tire sizes also....and shinko warranty is great if anything goes wrong with the tire....dot approved....i don't have any personal experience yet because i'm waiting to get little more mileage on my stock sf tires with 7,000+ miles on them so far....i've heard people doing 10,000 miles on the stock rears...
These do look like an excellent value and also a tread that jives with my use.

Nice call -thanks.

Old 04-10-2012, 07:02 PM
1st Gear Member

Kenda K270.

I have a 270 on the back of my bike with 7000 km on it, and it still has lot's of life left. The 270 front is ok only if you don't expect to be doing much off road, or mud riding. For the price, you can't go wrong.

Old 04-10-2012, 07:26 PM
Your Humble Moderator/Admin
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by zomby woof
Kenda K270.

I have a 270 on the back of my bike with 7000 km on it, and it still has lot's of life left. The 270 front is ok only if you don't expect to be doing much off road, or mud riding. For the price, you can't go wrong.

+1 on that.

Old 04-10-2012, 08:07 PM
1st Gear Member

heard good on the kenda k270 also, but it was more dirt oriented and wouldn't work for my fast freeway commutes...i think the 80% street and 20% dirt of the shinko 705 works out better for me....the thread is deep, but had large contact patches for the street...

Last edited by ahnh666; 04-10-2012 at 08:28 PM.
Old 04-11-2012, 03:11 AM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by gravel eddie
If you go more toward a street tire like the Shinko 705 they will last longer. The Kenda 270 or Shinko 244 are 50/50 type tires in my opinion and for me I would not go any more street oriented than that on a dual sport. On my KLR I like the Kenda 270 front and a Shinko 244 on the back. They may last longer on the lighter KLX - I am not sure, but maybe 4-5k for the rear on the KLR. Kenda Trackmaster II's on the KLX - like them a lot - wear life still unknown, but I don't expect high milage out of them.

Everyone's idea of a dual sport or enduro is different. For me a dual sport should be riden on the dirt/mud/etc and not be scary doing it, so a 705 Shinko or something with that type of tread is not for me. I am willing to buy tires every 4-5000 miles.

I think you are in Spokane? Mike's Powersports on University and Sprague will sell you a set of Shinko 244's for under a $100 - mounted and balanced.

My two bits.
Thanks Grable Eddie. I like the stock tires fine but I would like to get a but more wear than most people seem to get out of them. I may be off base on that.

5k is acceptable but 2500 which I hear a lot is not great and would mean 3 sets a year. I don't need them yet but I ant to have a set in mind and be prepared. Thanks for the heads up in Mike's powersports. I have not been there yet.

Old 04-11-2012, 04:41 AM
1st Gear Member

Clarify something for me guys I see there're some people saying the shinko 705 but I looked at the website for shinko and it looks like the front 90/90-21 comes in a tubeless style tire don't we have tubes both front and back or am I wrong?

Old 04-11-2012, 12:23 PM
1st Gear Member

I noticed that too. Same for the 700 series. Also the 244 front is speed rated to 75 mph. Likely ok but not enough margin for me.

Quick Reply: Long wearing tires?