1st Gear Member

Dicks Creek Rd, Lake Burton GA

Name:  IMAG0324.jpg
Views: 159
Size:  151.9 KB

Old 08-08-2012, 03:14 AM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by wildcard
I don't think the Honda is going to be a KLX killer. Its heavier, makes about the same power (20-23hp) and is going to probably be quite a bit more expensive to upgrade (when and if upgrades become available). Performance is nowhere near the WR so they won't be any threat to that bike.

As far as being cheaper that remains to be seen. The MSRP is less than the kawi but around here you can get a KLX for $3500-4500 (paid 3500 for my klx new) plus the used market where the KLX has lots of used bikes out there.

I'm sure the honda is a quality bike, but this late in the game i think they have an uphill battle against kawasaki for the entry level dual-sport market, at least in the US where "little" bikes like these are not very popular.

Time will tell though.
You seem to have your facts a bit wrong. A stock KLX puts out 18.something HP and 14 LBS of torque. The Honda puts out about 23 HP and 16 LBS. When your talking about numbers this low that's a pretty good difference. And a stock WR puts down about 29 HP and around 18 LBS.

Real world this means a WR can get to 60 in about 5 seconds, and KLX can do it in a little over 6. Bear in mind that's with very good riders.

Now numbers alone puts the CRF in the middle ground more or less. No, it won't be able to keep up with the WR but the KLX shouldn't stand a change.

Yes you can pick up a KLX for cheap, I payed 3900 for my 09 this year. Not the best deal, but at the time it seemed like a great deal. But the current year models are sticking pretty well to upper 4000s or lower 5000s, in my area at least. The MSRP on the Honda is 4500.

And bear in mind that for that price your getting considerably more performance, a better suspension, and more modern tech like FI. So I'll say that the price of KLX and the CRF are about on par, but the CRF is a far better value. Plus when next years model comes out you might be looking at a 3500 CRF.

I see them winning this fight pretty easily. Yes the KLX is a great bike. But when people think of the big 4 they think like this: Kawasaki and Suzuki - lower quality bikes for cheaper prices, still great, but not as good. Honda and Yamaha - top of the line (as far as Jap bikes go), pure quality machines, generally better performance, usually cost an arm and a leg compared the the other 2

Old 08-08-2012, 03:23 AM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by Tenis
I can´t really argue with you crazyapple92 since I didn't test the Honda yet, but please elaborate a bit on why you reckon the Honda is better or more modern. From factory specs, the maximum power output is rougly 1 hp more on the Honda, but at the same time it is heavier (6kg). About pricing, the Honda list price is about 10% lower than the KLX here in Sweden. Is it different over there? Suspensions seem to be similar, but the ground clearance is higher on the KLX (as well as seat height). Both bikes are DOHC, 4 valve and since both bikes come with EFI over here in Europe, there is no real difference there either.

About the plastics what I meant was that we get it in either green or white, sorry for the confusion. Me personally, I am not to sold on the Kawa green that was offered on this model, so therefore I went with white.

I would also definitively like to see more of smaller engines on motorcycles on public roads. With engine power comes aggressiveness (or inspired driving I think they call it in the ad´s...) This is true also for cars I think.
Like I mention in my other post, considerably more power, modern tech like fuel injection (forgot you're foreign. In the US the KLX has a carb). 6KG is about 10 LBS or so, not a big difference there and the power difference is much bigger than you're thinking so the Honda will have a much better power to weight ratio.

As for price the MSRP are this:
WR - ~$6500
KLX - ~$5500 But they usually go for cheaper.
CRF - ~$4500

I was under the impression the CRF had a better suspension, and an adjustable one at that? I could be remembering that wrong though. I could almost swear I saw Ohlins on those forks though???

Oh, green or white. EVEN BETTER!!! I've been wanting to go with a white bike with aqua accents and aqua Tron wheel tape. But plastics are hard to come by over here and when you do see them they cost a small fortune!

Indeed. Although most guys I know will ride their bikes as hard as they can regardless of how big it is. So better to be on a 250. I ride the snot out of it and it's just not that dangerous. Different story if I was on a R1.

Old 08-08-2012, 03:29 AM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by MetalMan
Dicks Creek Rd, Lake Burton GA

I have the same helmet! Same color too!

Kind of a noisy bugger isn't it? Fairly hot too. But hey, for $115 I'm not complaining... except for all the loose threads they leave in there... People give me strange looks as I swat and scream at my helmet because I think there's a spider in there. It's always just a loose thread, cut it off and then you find a new one somewhere else the next day.

Old 08-08-2012, 03:46 AM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by crazyapple92
You seem to have your facts a bit wrong. A stock KLX puts out 18.something HP and 14 LBS of torque. The Honda puts out about 23 HP and 16 LBS. When your talking about numbers this low that's a pretty good difference. And a stock WR puts down about 29 HP and around 18 LBS.

Real world this means a WR can get to 60 in about 5 seconds, and KLX can do it in a little over 6. Bear in mind that's with very good riders.

Now numbers alone puts the CRF in the middle ground more or less. No, it won't be able to keep up with the WR but the KLX shouldn't stand a change.

Yes you can pick up a KLX for cheap, I payed 3900 for my 09 this year. Not the best deal, but at the time it seemed like a great deal. But the current year models are sticking pretty well to upper 4000s or lower 5000s, in my area at least. The MSRP on the Honda is 4500.

And bear in mind that for that price your getting considerably more performance, a better suspension, and more modern tech like FI. So I'll say that the price of KLX and the CRF are about on par, but the CRF is a far better value. Plus when next years model comes out you might be looking at a 3500 CRF.

I see them winning this fight pretty easily. Yes the KLX is a great bike. But when people think of the big 4 they think like this: Kawasaki and Suzuki - lower quality bikes for cheaper prices, still great, but not as good. Honda and Yamaha - top of the line (as far as Jap bikes go), pure quality machines, generally better performance, usually cost an arm and a leg compared the the other 2
Like I mention in my other post, considerably more power, modern tech like fuel injection (forgot you're foreign. In the US the KLX has a carb). 6KG is about 10 LBS or so, not a big difference there and the power difference is much bigger than you're thinking so the Honda will have a much better power to weight ratio.

As for price the MSRP are this:
WR - ~$6500
KLX - ~$5500 But they usually go for cheaper.
CRF - ~$4500

I was under the impression the CRF had a better suspension, and an adjustable one at that? I could be remembering that wrong though. I could almost swear I saw Ohlins on those forks though???

Oh, green or white. EVEN BETTER!!! I've been wanting to go with a white bike with aqua accents and aqua Tron wheel tape. But plastics are hard to come by over here and when you do see them they cost a small fortune!

Indeed. Although most guys I know will ride their bikes as hard as they can regardless of how big it is. So better to be on a 250. I ride the snot out of it and it's just not that dangerous. Different story if I was on a R1.
Dyno sheets from members here that i also posted on SMJ put the stock KLX at the 19-20 hp range. gaining 2-3 hp stock with the honda puts them bascially in the same bracket when you add the extra 20+ lbs on the honda (advertised 320lbs curb weight), BUT most of the speculation on the honda comes from the fact the CRF and CBR seem to share the same engine. AFAIK no one has posted any actual CRF dyno charts.

Stock WR puts out about 25-26 hp

https://www.kawasakiforums.com/forum...results-27971/

FI ? Not a selling point in my mind... look at all the crazy janky **** guys on this forum are doing to get the EFI klx's to respond to any real power mods. Fine if you like throwing extra hundreds of dollars at FI tuning.

Ohlins on a $4500 bike ? According to honda's website the CRF250L suspension is completly non-adjustable other than pre-load on the rear.

I'm not trying to be a dick or overly defend the KLX but i don't know where your getting your facts from. They are obviously in error.

i orginally wanted a WR anyway but after seeing that a KLX could actually make MORE power than a fully decked WR i went with the Kawi.

Old 08-08-2012, 05:44 AM
1st Gear Member

Dyno sheets from members here that i also posted on SMJ put the stock KLX at the 19-20 hp range. gaining 2-3 hp stock with the honda puts them bascially in the same bracket when you add the extra 20+ lbs on the honda (advertised 320lbs curb weight), BUT most of the speculation on the honda comes from the fact the CRF and CBR seem to share the same engine. AFAIK no one has posted any actual CRF dyno charts.

Stock WR puts out about 25-26 hp

https://www.kawasakiforums.com/forum...results-27971/

FI ? Not a selling point in my mind... look at all the crazy janky **** guys on this forum are doing to get the EFI klx's to respond to any real power mods. Fine if you like throwing extra hundreds of dollars at FI tuning.

Ohlins on a $4500 bike ? According to honda's website the CRF250L suspension is completly non-adjustable other than pre-load on the rear.

I'm not trying to be a dick or overly defend the KLX but i don't know where your getting your facts from. They are obviously in error.

i orginally wanted a WR anyway but after seeing that a KLX could actually make MORE power than a fully decked WR i went with the Kawi.
20? I've seen dynos with 18.xx and 19 never 20. And 3 extra horse power is a lot. %15 percent more power is not a matter to brush off. I'm not sure how much the power to weight ratios will change with that extra weight, but I do expect that Honda to be a fair deal snappier. Maybe 0-60 in around 5.6-7 seconds? And no Honda dynos yet because the bike isn't out quite yet, at least not stateside anyways.

Yeah I knew that number was a little high on the WR. Still a big difference though.

I like FI, I like the fact that a bike isn't using the same tired tech from decades ago. That's one of the things I love about the WR, but to each his own. I can understand that people like carbs because they're much easier to fiddle with and tune, still though FI is the apple of my eye.

Yeah, I wasn't putting a lot of stock in my memory. There is a pic of a 250L with Ohlins on it... now that I think about it I think it's actually something I read. And it was about the Mugen edition 250L. Teehee?

KLX can make more power than a fully modded WR??? No sir! This is one thing there's no arguing on. A fully done up KLX 351 will put out darn near 30 HP and I think some where around 20 LBS. I can't seem to find a dyno for a fully modded WR? And I'm too tired to keep trying. But The free mods bring it up a good deal, cams, can, power commander, etc will add some icing to the cake. And I know that the 290 kit with an exhuast alone will bring the bike up to 31 HP. So it seems pretty likely that a fully done WR is putting down 34-35 HP.

So:
KLX - From 19 to 30
WR - from 26 - 35

Pretty much the same story from stock to modded. But the KLX isn't going to put down numbers like the WR, that's just not happening.

If you've ever rode with a WR it's power shows! 3rd gear wheelies are something that cost us nearly $2000. The WR does them stock.

While I can't personally attest to this I've heard from many people that a full 351 KLX (minus cams maybe) still loses to a stock (minus the throttle stop mod) WR by a bit. There's a big gap between these bikes...

And I think we've gone marvelously off topic!

Last edited by crazyapple92; 08-08-2012 at 05:47 AM.
Old 08-08-2012, 10:56 AM
1st Gear Member

THIS IS A PICTURE THREAD...How did this turn into the WR VS KLX thread? Get a room

Old 08-08-2012, 11:48 AM
1st Gear Member

KLX can make more power than a fully modded WR??? No sir! This is one thing there's no arguing on. A fully done up KLX 351 will put out darn near 30 HP and I think some where around 20 LBS. I can't seem to find a dyno for a fully modded WR? And I'm too tired to keep trying. But The free mods bring it up a good deal, cams, can, power commander, etc will add some icing to the cake. And I know that the 290 kit with an exhuast alone will bring the bike up to 31 HP. So it seems pretty likely that a fully done WR is putting down 34-35 HP.

So:
KLX - From 19 to 30
WR - from 26 - 35

Pretty much the same story from stock to modded. But the KLX isn't going to put down numbers like the WR, that's just not happening.

If you've ever rode with a WR it's power shows! 3rd gear wheelies are something that cost us nearly $2000. The WR does them stock.

While I can't personally attest to this I've heard from many people that a full 351 KLX (minus cams maybe) still loses to a stock (minus the throttle stop mod) WR by a bit. There's a big gap between these bikes...

And I think we've gone marvelously off topic!
I've yet to see a WR put out more than 31hp even with BB exhaust and fuel control. Same mods on a KLX will net you 30hp and you can still go with more agressive cams. Considering the margin of error on dyno's between different bikes.. moot point.

My 331, otherwise stock besides jetting will pull 3rd gear power wheelies, cost $500 + $50 jet kit.

yeah and "i've heard" that the 'Busa will run 220mph in stock trim. Are you going to seriously believe that a 30hp bike is going to lose to a 24-25hp bike that weighs almost exactely the same if both riders are equal in skill ?

and yes... way off topic.

Last edited by wildcard; 08-08-2012 at 11:50 AM.
Old 08-08-2012, 05:19 PM
1st Gear Member

I've yet to see a WR put out more than 31hp even with BB exhaust and fuel control. Same mods on a KLX will net you 30hp and you can still go with more agressive cams. Considering the margin of error on dyno's between different bikes.. moot point.

My 331, otherwise stock besides jetting will pull 3rd gear power wheelies, cost $500 + $50 jet kit.

yeah and "i've heard" that the 'Busa will run 220mph in stock trim. Are you going to seriously believe that a 30hp bike is going to lose to a 24-25hp bike that weighs almost exactely the same if both riders are equal in skill ?

and yes... way off topic.
I'm pretty sure I've seen dynos for quite a bit more than 31HP. And I don't mean the 55HP turbo bikes. But I have no proof and don't care to go find any.

Still though, point is KLX won't out perform a WR in any state of tune. Maybe it will keep up but it won't beat it.

Yeah, I was exaggerating on the $2000 thing but I'd say the minimum mods are BB (I like KK so that's more), jetting, and a full exhuast. That will set you back around $1300, maybe more depending on which can you get.

I don't know, I know numbers don't always tell the whole story though. I've ran flat out against a WR with a slip on and a power commander and the difference was ridiculous, seemed like more than 4 HP could account for. With these being the only two options in the class I'm surprised there's not some really thorough comparisons through different states of tune.

But back to the KLX. Who here has Distanzias? How much did you dish out for them and do they feel dangerous under serious lean?

Old 08-08-2012, 05:50 PM
1st Gear Member

Don't these Honda guys have their own forum? I don't care about the Honda!

Quick Reply: LETS POST SOME PIC OF YOUR BAD @$$ KLXs