laid my bike down in front of the liscence bureau today.

Search this Thread

Old 03-17-2011, 03:54 PM
1st Gear Member
1st Gear Member

Don't feel bad. Your story reminded me of when I took my skills test. I took the test on a DR650, and it was the smallest bike there by at least 300lbs. As I was waiting my turn to test, the guy ahead of me was testing on a full-on Harley bagger. I don't know Harley models, but this thing was huge - basically the Harley version of a Goldwing. Anyway, part of the test was to make 3 complete figure-8's in a 40' X 20' rectangle. Halfway through his first figure-8, he let the RPM's drop too low and the bike stalled. The bike flopped over in mid-turn with a sickening crunch and spit him off. He was so pissed and embarassed, I thought he going to have a coronary!

The bike didn't just go over to the side cases, it laid over completely on it's side. I helped him try to right the bike, but we couldn't get it vertical again, and every time we tried, something else broke off. I swear the pig weighed 1,000lbs. Finally, he had to call a tow truck.

Last edited by mustang; 03-17-2011 at 03:58 PM.
Old 03-17-2011, 06:20 PM
1st Gear Member

ouch that sucks, just remember to use BOTH brakes especially when your starting out, it helps keep the bike predictable, and never grab a fist full of front that is a disaster waiting to happen. I'd rather lock up my rear the my front any day.

mustang I know a few guy who ride those dressers and on I've seem them go down (normally a slow fall at a stop) and the only way I've seen them able to be up righted is to get it to an angle that both wheel s are touch the ground and drive it up while standing beside it. the bike does the heavy lifting... it takes some technique but I've seen a 150 pound guy upright his bike by myself.

chewy, tell the lil lady to go sit in the corner till she has something nice to say and just spent time riding.

Old 03-17-2011, 06:56 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by mustang
I swear the pig weighed 1,000lbs.
I took one of those DMV tests on a Vulcan 2000 (2053cc V-twin), that weighed in at over 800 lbs....it makes the Harleys look small when sitting beside them. I had a car tire on the rear...really improved the ride quality and also the cornering ability!

Anyway, there should be a rule that you can't ride a bike you can't get back up on two wheels if you drop it.

Old 03-17-2011, 08:03 PM
1st Gear Member

When I was doing my license test - old lady on a scooter.. All dressed up, one piece suit, matching luggage, custom license plate, scooter paraphernalia stickers all over the place...

Crazy lady grabs both the brake and the throttle at the same time and dumped it. Didn't think too much of it, but she just laid there not moving. Her arm was under her body, and all of the sudden I just see a HUGE pool of blood forming around her body.. Like someone turned on a blood faucet and let it run in the parking lot. Crazy! Snapped her arm in half and poked through the skin. They had an ambulance come take her away.

After they took her away the DMV tester took a bag of kitty litter and poured it all over the blood to soak it up like an oil spill. It was pretty nutty! Be glad you aren't her! hahahaa

Old 03-17-2011, 08:26 PM
1st Gear Member

Wow, some crazy stories.Almost everybody thats ridden for a while has dropped a bike at least once.

Dropped a GS500 doing a low speed turn on the side of a road, went over a patch of pea gravel and it slipped out from under me.

Dropped a DR125 off road, riding on an iced over truck wheel rut in snow, slipped on the ice.

Dropped a W650 - two different times. Not riding it, just rolling it backwards in the driveway for a wash both times. Was barely able to pick it up myself, it weighed about 500 lb. wet. No serious damage except bent the clutch lever one time.

Dropped the KLX in unsucessful effort to avoid charging dog. Picked bike up, wheel pointed left, handlebars pointed right. Put bike on sidestand and kicked wheel in one direction while pulling handlebar in other. Was able to get it 90% straight, rode 25 miles to Kawi dealership and their mechanic loosened up the triple clamps and gave it a proper front end alignment at no charge.

Probably be getting a DR 650 next, bike is light enough that I should be able to pick it up unassisted WHEN I drop it.

Old 03-18-2011, 04:02 AM
1st Gear Member

Chewy man... ha ha ha ha ha you made my night... this is the funniest post Ive ever seen on here.. ha ha ha ... good sport... when I first read the post I was like "is this guy manic or what" ... lol funny

Old 03-24-2011, 01:41 PM
1st Gear Member

Resurrecting this thread.

Chewy - I see you're in Cleveland, did you take the state of ohio course (basically an MSF one) for riding? If not, i recommend it. Plus it's all sorts of fun and you dont have to take the actual riders test since it's part of the course. And most insurance companies give you a discount for it to boot.

Old 03-24-2011, 02:46 PM
Your Humble Moderator/Admin
1st Gear Member

[quote=TNC;440718]chewy, you win the longest-post-with-no-punctuation award hands down...LOL!

DOH!!! you beat me too it! My head almost exploded reading that. LOL Another problem we have on smooth surfaces like parking lots is all the de-icer that is left over. It gets rather slippery.

Old 03-24-2011, 02:48 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by Feral Donkey
Every motorcyclist has at least one crash in their lives. We all got one coming. You just got your out of the way without getting hurt.
My computer crashed the other night....does that count?

Old 03-24-2011, 02:50 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by CousinLarry
When I was doing my license test - old lady on a scooter.. All dressed up, one piece suit, matching luggage, custom license plate, scooter paraphernalia stickers all over the place...

Crazy lady grabs both the brake and the throttle at the same time and dumped it. Didn't think too much of it, but she just laid there not moving. Her arm was under her body, and all of the sudden I just see a HUGE pool of blood forming around her body.. Like someone turned on a blood faucet and let it run in the parking lot. Crazy! Snapped her arm in half and poked through the skin. They had an ambulance come take her away.

After they took her away the DMV tester took a bag of kitty litter and poured it all over the blood to soak it up like an oil spill. It was pretty nutty! Be glad you aren't her! hahahaa

Oh I almost hurled.....

Quick Reply: laid my bike down in front of the liscence bureau today.