Kawasaki Forums

Kawasaki Forums (https://www.kawasakiforums.com/forum/)
-   KLX 250S (https://www.kawasakiforums.com/forum/klx-250s-71/)
-   -   laid my bike down in front of the liscence bureau today. (https://www.kawasakiforums.com/forum/klx-250s-71/laid-my-bike-down-front-liscence-bureau-today-35106/)

chewy 03-16-2011 09:39 PM

laid my bike down in front of the liscence bureau today.

oh what a day had a great ride all the way up until i got to the parking lot of the liscense bureau. i hav no idea besides my inexperience how it happened i was going under 5 mph coming into a parking spot down shifted i think and the sf just came out from underneath me and landed on my legs and pinned me i think the parking lot had so much sealcoat on it i dont no any way just sore in more ways than one i felt so insecure the whole ride home happened so fast anyway couple of questions a clear tube that is right by the choke on the carb got melted from the muffler burning it it had gas in it it goes from one side of the carb to the other is split in half a lil gas came out but now nothing does. and i drove the bike home just fine what is that? where can i get a new one?also the bars are a little cock eyed how can i straiten them can i ? i feel so stupid such a bummer after i have felt the best i ever have in years for the past two weeks riding it.i have no idea how it happened the bars i dont believe are bent hope not but i can feel a slite cock eyedness can that be adjusted?what is that small fuel line that runs from one side of the carb to the other and why isnt gas squirting out of it and why does my bike still run where can i get another one thanks people for the time Andy klx 250sf cleveland ohio oh yeah i put my bike away dirty for the first time its like i am mad at it or something......

TNC 03-16-2011 10:05 PM

chewy, you win the longest-post-with-no-punctuation award hands down...LOL! BTW, I know why you crashed on the DMV parking lot. You were too busy bending down sideways on the bike looking at all those hoses when you pulled into the lot. I have one question. After crashing in the lot, did they still give you your driver's license?:D

But seriously, those are probably just vent hoses you're describing there that vent the carb's float bowl and such. The 90 degree nipple it attaches to should be pointed toward the back of the bike, and the attached hose should go down to a bundle under the middle of the carb...or thereabouts. Sounds like someone had the carb out and perhaps didn't route that hose back into the bundle. It can touch the exhaust otherwise.

On your crooked bars, if the bar itself isn't bent, it's probably a slight tweak in the triple crowns and bar mount area. For a small tipover like yours, you can usually just find a wooden telephone pole and smack the wheel in the direction of the tweak. Make sure it's not your bar, as the OEM bars are often known for their cream cheese construction.

Highbeam 03-16-2011 11:13 PM

I've had some major crashes over the years that resulted in tweaked bars.

First thing you do is make sure that the axle is parallel to the handlebar between the mounts. If not, you can usually fix it without tools like you did when you were a child and your bicycle had the same problem. Stand in front of the bike squeezing the tire between your knees and twist the bars as needed to correct the out of parallel condition. This is a controlled repair and I find it easier than wacking the tire against a tree, especially in the desert where there are no trees. If neither of these methods work then you can loosen the triple clamp bolts that hold the forks and try again. Eventually you will fix this.

The bars themselves can also be bent. So long as you still have full range of motion of the steering head without hitting the bars into the bike then just get used to it, since it will happen again. You will quickly forget the bend. Once you finally replace the bars, the now perfect bars will feel crooked.

Replace with higher quality bars such as renthal double walls or protapers. You can also go cheap if you like replacing them and/or don't plan to crash ever again.

dan888 03-17-2011 01:22 AM

Originally Posted by TNC (Post 440718)
I have one question. After crashing in the lot, did they still give you your driver's license?:D

:D That's what I wondered right away after reading the title of the thread. Sounds like the only thing really hurt was your pride.

Like the guys said , the hose is most likely a vent or drain line. If you need to replace it, you can get the clear line at motorcycle shops or even use automotive line, it will be black.
It's pretty easy to tweak the bars. I use the thump the side of the wheel against a tree method. If you do actually have to loosen the fasteners on the triple clamp, make sure you use a torque wrench when you tighten them back up. The manual posted here on KF (in the stickies) will have the torque values.

I'm guessing one of two things caused your little crash. If i read right, and you were turning into a parking spot, you could have used too much front brake. Too much front brake, while turning will put you down real fast.
The other idea is that you may have hit a grease spot in the middle of the parking spot. If your front wheel hit one of those, it could slide right out from under you. You definitely have to watch for oily patches left by the hundreds of cars that leak all over parking lots. You see the same oily areas in the middle of the road at stoplights. Never ride in the middle , stay to one side or the other.
Get back on that horse too. Practice , go to an empty parking lot and do figure eights working your way smaller and smaller. Practice starting and stopping. Practice pulling in parking spots. A really good idea is to find a MSF course. The DMV should be able to give you info on those.
Dan

Feral Donkey 03-17-2011 02:28 AM

Every motorcyclist has at least one crash in their lives. We all got one coming. You just got your out of the way without getting hurt. ;)

chewy 03-17-2011 01:41 PM

Thanks for the reply your prob right on the reason my bike and
i crashed. i am riding the dang think like its my mountain bike, always wanting to use the hand brake. now that ithink of it i realize.. i am gearing down,apply on the front brake no rear,let the clutch out agian and BAM..yeag a course is in my future... thanks agian.

chewy 03-17-2011 01:43 PM

perfect idea,really appreciate it thank u .

chewy 03-17-2011 01:47 PM

yeah i hear you on the puncuation. i litterally walked in the door after my crash and came straight to the computer and started spillin the beans.kinda like talkin real fast if we were in person. thats whats great about this forum,, @ home no one can relate, my women is like"u better sell that f n thing." but any way appreciate the input.its nice.

chewy 03-17-2011 01:51 PM

appreciate it.

chewy 03-17-2011 02:00 PM

oh yeah so i walk in the bureau, and the old ladys are just starin at me like wtf, i am like "yeah.. here for my mc liscence"in my most manliest voice i could muster.. the whole place is just silent i could feel everyone starin. so i speak out loud"" im KnEW TO RIDINg okay". YEEeeeah is the reply from the clerk. im sure alot of people got a kick out of my humiliation, but ima good sport... just a little red in the face.