KX vs. KLX

Search this Thread

Old 07-28-2008, 11:55 AM
1st Gear Member

Still sticking to my guns here its not close stock 125 and 250fs aren't even close plus a 125 has a powerband of 2-3000 rpms and the wieghts now are pretty close.

Old 07-28-2008, 12:28 PM
1st Gear Member

It's the man that is fast, not the tool he uses.
Ask David Knight or Valentino Rossi.

Old 07-28-2008, 01:02 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by WestOzKLX
It's the man that is fast, not the tool he uses.
Ask David Knight or Valentino Rossi.
Easy up there Gavin.
Don't forget Casey.
A fair gap between him and his team mate.
(I will concede Valentino is the finest GP rider ever IMHO)

Old 07-28-2008, 06:32 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by jaylaudeman
Is there anyone who owns both or has rode both and how does the klx compair to the KX. I've had my klx for a little over a year but I almost always just ride offroad on a mx style track so I started contemplating getting a KX250F. I know the KX would be more maintanace but would it be worth it with it beind less weight, better suspension, and more parts available. I know I could make the KLX better offroad but would it be worth it spending the money to hop up the KLX or trade up for a KX??
Whats your guy's thoughts?
It kinda depends on what you ride the most. if you ride tracks more than, in my opinion i would be unhappy with the klx but that is not the case. i ride in the mountains all the time i hardly ever ride on the tracks unless my friends dont want to go trail riding. it would be worth it to invest in a track bike like that if your are going to use it like it was designed. And i have heard that track bikes like that do not like being dual sported becase if you are riding on the road at a constant speed i have heard of guys burning up there gears because the case does not have enough oil. just my opinions good luck with your decision.

Old 07-28-2008, 07:26 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by 09KLXowner
I'd have to disagree here; a stock 125 makes nearly 8-9 more horsepower than any stock MX250 four-stroke. The 2-stroke is also lighter. With equal riders on both bikes, the 2-stroke will clock the 4-stroke quite easily. Do you think that if the greenies had kept quiet, that everyone would still be on heavy 4-strokes? Don't think so. It's alot easier to make a 2-stroke fast than it is a 4-stroke and it's way cheaper.
IG where do you get this crap from.

http://images.dirtrider.com/164_0402_jday_45_z.jpg

The white line is the yz250F, the green line is the yz125. Which is on top? The

yz125 = 33HP
yz250F = 34HP

Torque is about the same.

You spew this nonsense. A two stroke is not a given over a four stroke. In like conditions, with like riders, things could go either way. I think the AMA is bringing back the two strokes to compete with the four strokes.

In fact, in testing, the same riders on a two and four stroke turned the same lap times....see last month's dirt rider or the month before that.

Once again, you're full of it.

Old 07-28-2008, 08:01 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by captaintrps
IG where do you get this crap from.

http://images.dirtrider.com/164_0402_jday_45_z.jpg

The white line is the yz250F, the green line is the yz125. Which is on top? The

yz125 = 33HP
yz250F = 34HP

Torque is about the same.

You spew this nonsense. A two stroke is not a given over a four stroke. In like conditions, with like riders, things could go either way. I think the AMA is bringing back the two strokes to compete with the four strokes.

In fact, in testing, the same riders on a two and four stroke turned the same lap times....see last month's dirt rider or the month before that.

Once again, you're full of it.
We still have to remember in all of this that we're comparing a 2 stroke against a 4 stroke that has an engine double in size. If we want to make a fair comparison we should compare a YZ250 against a YZ250F. The fact that a four stroke bike is putting out the same HP as a two stroke half it's size is a laughable.

I have to agree with IG about the 'greenies' having forced 4 strokes onto the race track. They have been trying to kill off road riding for years. They're pushing us into crappy death box cars we don't want and on heavy race bikes with a serious handicap on the race track. I can think of endless ways in which these people attempt to make life more expensive and less fun.

Mike

Old 07-28-2008, 08:12 PM
1st Gear Member

The main reason I first got the KLX was because it was street legal and I live in the city right now, so I just needed it really to ride on the street from here 3 miles out to my parents farm to ride. Sometimes I would ride it around town and to work but it just gets to be a pain to get it out and warm it up and everything just to go a mile to work. So if I get a MX bike I'd probley just leave it out at the farm or buy a truck(which ive been wanting to anyways). As for the 2 vs. 4 stroke like what captain said I had just read in motocross action magazine they compaired the 250 4stroke against the 250 2stroke and the 2 stroke had more HP and torque but when they compaired lap times they were the same. So basically I want something that I can throw around into turns and handel a mx style track. If I can find a decent one for a good price maybe I can keep the KLX too.

Old 07-28-2008, 08:33 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by jaylaudeman
The main reason I first got the KLX was because it was street legal and I live in the city right now, so I just needed it really to ride on the street from here 3 miles out to my parents farm to ride. Sometimes I would ride it around town and to work but it just gets to be a pain to get it out and warm it up and everything just to go a mile to work. So if I get a MX bike I'd probley just leave it out at the farm or buy a truck(which ive been wanting to anyways). As for the 2 vs. 4 stroke like what captain said I had just read in motocross action magazine they compaired the 250 4stroke against the 250 2stroke and the 2 stroke had more HP and torque but when they compaired lap times they were the same. So basically I want something that I can throw around into turns and handel a mx style track. If I can find a decent one for a good price maybe I can keep the KLX too.

If you can afford to do so then get both; that's what I did. When I bought a KLX it didn't replace my KDX. I've had a blast on both bikes and both of them fill a role that the other cannot. Check Craigs List and price out a KX.

Also, if that Motocross Action comparison was accurate then the AMA wouldn't race 2 stroke 85's against 4 stroke 150's. Any meaningful comparison of these bikes would be to pit 250 four against 250 two and see wich comes out with more trophies at the end of the season. People's lives and pocket books are wrapped up in motocross and they will say anything to get people to accept life with the four stroke racer and shut up about it.

Mike

Old 07-28-2008, 08:53 PM
1st Gear Member

Heres the first part of that artical

http://fourway.net/users/mlaudeman/mx.jpg

Old 07-28-2008, 09:33 PM
Banned
1st Gear Member

lmao, anyone who thinks a 250F will keep up with any 125 MX bike is higher than Ozzy. The CR125R in all it's crappy Honda glory puts out a arm stretching 38 horse stock, or around 35 at the rear wheel. F's are lucky to hit 30 at rear wheel. 18lbs. diff is alot when you're talking horsepower/weight. a 2-stroke will always outperform a 4-stroke, you can't argue with that. it will always make more power and be faster. Someone look up RC's last 2-stroke 250cc year and compare it with Stewart's best lap time this year on his 450F. I'd be interested to see which one is quicker. Also, do you really think these racers like to lug 20lbs. extra around for 30 mins. each moto?

btw, just to get people riled, RC could smoke Stewart this year if he came out tomorrow.

Quick Reply: KX vs. KLX