Krieger cam chain adjuster installed

Search this Thread

Old 06-12-2012, 03:08 AM
1st Gear Member

yup, I just got mine today and installed! sounds great now... now if i didnt bungle one of the brake resevoir screws i could bleed my front brake and go ride... but NO!!

Old 06-18-2012, 09:37 AM
1st Gear Member

Thanks mark. Got my cam chain tensioner today!

Well done, only 9 days to deliver to Thailand :-)

Old 06-18-2012, 02:27 PM
1st Gear Member

It took longer than that for mine to Canada! Go figure.

Old 06-20-2012, 06:04 PM
1st Gear Member

Blame customs. I've had tensioners hit Canada and the UK, even Australia within 6-7 days. Of course sometimes I'm a bit slow on shipping, but not too often.

Old 07-09-2012, 05:25 PM
1st Gear Member

Got mine in record time, but for lack of time, I finally got to do the install last night. I'm a little fuzzy about what "finger tight" is. When cold, I was able to crank the **** as hard as I could, with my fingers, of course... but when the exhaust gets hot, it's another story!

What I ended up doing was to start with it as tight as I could get it with my fingers (cold engine). Then, I started it up and loosened the jam nut. With the jam nut loose, the adjusted un-threads itself pretty quickly. When it got loose enough, the chain noise got pretty pronounced. At that point, I used the nut on the knurled **** to make the adjustments with a wrench (too hot to get my fingers in there). I tightened until the chain noise went away, backed off 1/6 turn, and locked it down. I'm more afraid of getting it too tight, than I am with leaving it too loose.

Hopefully, what I did was okay. Haven't even gotten to test ride it yet. As soon as I finished adjusting it - I got a call that my son-in-law had totalled his bike. I had to hook up my trailer and make the 1 hour (each way) trip to go pick up the remains of his ZZR600. After seeing his bike, he's lucky to be alive!!! Hopefully he will come to his senses now, and go with a dual-sport instead of another sport bike.

Old 07-09-2012, 05:36 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by rgoers
I got a call that my son-in-law had totalled his bike. I had to hook up my trailer and make the 1 hour (each way) trip to go pick up the remains of his ZZR600. After seeing his bike, he's lucky to be alive!!! Hopefully he will come to his senses now, and go with a dual-sport instead of another sport bike.
Dang! Glad he didn't make the ultimate mistake.

When I put mine in, I couldn't help but fiddle with it for a while. I finally settled at a spot where I can hear a tick when it first starts up, but, after about 30 seconds of warming up, the tick goes away. It at least SEEMS logical to me...

Old 07-09-2012, 05:40 PM
1st Gear Member

In my fine tuning adjustments, I've found that I use the cam chain noise at idle as the starting point, adjusting until I 'just' can't hear it anymore. However, my check is revving in neutral or riding with the engine around the 5500 noisy zone. If I still hear the chain rattle there, I'll adjust a little more. Usually, I don't have to adjust any more than after the initial idle adjustment. This is probably due to minor differences in background noise when I've made my adjustments.

Also, for what it's worth, last week marked my first post-initial-setup adjustment of my manual tensioner. I think I've had the manual adjuster installed for something like 2000 or 3000 miles. It was starting to get noisy in the 5500 rpm range, and a bit noisier than usual on cold startup. I finally took a few minutes to make a roadside adjustment, and the cam chain is running quietly once again.

Old 07-09-2012, 11:44 PM
1st Gear Member

Got mine installed over the weekend. It is awesome to actually hear my engine again!

Old 07-10-2012, 12:30 AM
TNC
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by rgoers
Got mine in record time, but for lack of time, I finally got to do the install last night. I'm a little fuzzy about what "finger tight" is. When cold, I was able to crank the **** as hard as I could, with my fingers, of course... but when the exhaust gets hot, it's another story!

What I ended up doing was to start with it as tight as I could get it with my fingers (cold engine). Then, I started it up and loosened the jam nut. With the jam nut loose, the adjusted un-threads itself pretty quickly. When it got loose enough, the chain noise got pretty pronounced. At that point, I used the nut on the knurled **** to make the adjustments with a wrench (too hot to get my fingers in there). I tightened until the chain noise went away, backed off 1/6 turn, and locked it down. I'm more afraid of getting it too tight, than I am with leaving it too loose.

Hopefully, what I did was okay. Haven't even gotten to test ride it yet. As soon as I finished adjusting it - I got a call that my son-in-law had totalled his bike. I had to hook up my trailer and make the 1 hour (each way) trip to go pick up the remains of his ZZR600. After seeing his bike, he's lucky to be alive!!! Hopefully he will come to his senses now, and go with a dual-sport instead of another sport bike.
Isn't the finger tight method supposed to be done with the engine cold? If you do it hot, use an allen socket with a long extension from the rear tire area. There's a straight shot to the allen bolt from back there that prevents hot fingers. While you're holding the end of the socket allen tool with one hand, you operate the lock nut with a wrench in the other hand. Here's a pic of the 1/4" drive setup I use, and it works really well.

Attached Thumbnails Krieger cam chain adjuster installed-tensioner-tool-3.jpg   Krieger cam chain adjuster installed-tensioner-tool-4.jpg   Krieger cam chain adjuster installed-tensioner-tool-5.jpg  
Old 07-10-2012, 02:57 AM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by TNC
If you do it hot, use an allen socket with a long extension from the rear tire area. There's a straight shot to the allen bolt from back there that prevents hot fingers. While you're holding the end of the socket allen tool with one hand, you operate the lock nut with a wrench in the other hand. Here's a pic of the 1/4" drive setup I use, and it works really well.
I remember you posted something about this before, and it's a variation of what I used. The only problem with it is that it makes it so easy to make adjustments, I had a hard time leaving it alone. Thanks again for the suggestion!

Quick Reply: Krieger cam chain adjuster installed