Krieger cam chain adjuster installed

Search this Thread

Old 10-25-2013, 12:49 AM
1st Gear Member

Geez you guys make me happy that TNC and I could get this thing done. It just is enjoyable to know that there are bikes working a bit better and lasting longer with the part.

Old 03-17-2014, 10:42 PM
1st Gear Member

Quick question here;

There are two (laser cut) gaskets included.

Do I install with both of them on? And I also need gasket sealant, yes?

I gotta pick up some gasket sealant this evening for the install tomorrow.

Thanks a bunch

Old 03-18-2014, 01:04 AM
1st Gear Member

No, just one. I send an extra one. Use grease on the gasket. It is easier.

Old 03-18-2014, 04:43 AM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by klx678
Geez you guys make me happy that TNC and I could get this thing done. It just is enjoyable to know that there are bikes working a bit better and lasting longer with the part.
I thought about doing this in 2013 when I took the bike out of storage, but I had a work place accident in October 2012 and have been off the bike ever sense. I tried to ride last year but it was a no go. I should be able to ride this year so I will order one before it comes out of storage in 2014.

Old 03-19-2014, 02:00 AM
1st Gear Member

Installed it this afternoon.

Leaving the header on (for various reasons), it was a true p.i.t.a. It took me forever to swap the old for the new. I ended up vice-gripping the bolt closest to me, because I didn't have that small a wrench, and it's so damned close to the adjuster bolt, you can't put anything around it. And on the new one, allen wrenching the bolt furthest away was painstakingly slow. What a cramped work area.

But there's no more alarming rattle at 5-6 thou rpm. There was a new very minute cam chain 'chatter' when I first started it back up, but I'm assuming this was in reference to it not being warmed up; normal. I didn't attempt a warm fine tune. I'd had enough for the day.

Was a bit freaked out having to turn the engine over manually (I'm new to any kind of mechanics and motorcycles), but I suppose I did it correctly. It didn't seem to allow for anymore slack in the cam chain, as I couldn't finger tighten the bolt much, if any, more than it already was.

So, $40 and 2 hours later, I'm a happy camper.

Thank you, Mr. Krieger. I've got a bit more faith in the durability of my bike, now, thanks to your efforts.

For anyone looking to make this upgrade, I highly recommend taking the header off before. It'll save you so much time, and (in my case) many loud nasty words.

Old 06-06-2014, 03:37 PM
1st Gear Member

I installed one on my 07 last fall, but this spring, I'm noticing a small amount of oil that's on the adjustment screw. I wipe the oil off, but after riding, it's back. Is this normal or is there something I should do to the tensioner to fix this? Any help is greatly appreciated!!

Old 06-06-2014, 04:43 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by Jage
I installed one on my 07 last fall, but this spring, I'm noticing a small amount of oil that's on the adjustment screw. I wipe the oil off, but after riding, it's back. Is this normal or is there something I should do to the tensioner to fix this? Any help is greatly appreciated!!
I have a little on mine also and just wipe it off.

It lets me know there is still oil in the engine.

Old 06-06-2014, 06:03 PM
TNC
1st Gear Member

There's an o-ring in there on the adjuster bolt. You may just need a new one. It's not a special o-ring other than needing to be suitable for an automotive application where it's exposed to a little heat and motor oil.

Old 06-06-2014, 07:23 PM
1st Gear Member

Two choices, email or PM me with your address and I'll send a fatter O-ring or go to a hardware store and get one.

I normally used a 1/4 x .07" O-ring, but on some I went to a 5/16 x .70" and I have some 2mm x 8mm rings that can do the job. That's part of the reason I made the end nuts removable, so the O-ring can be changed out if needed. The inch O-ring should be easily available, but the metric one not so common in the U.S. I have been using Viton (brown) hi-temp O-rings, but used the regular Buna (black) O-rings for quite some time. I have the Buna ring in my 650 without any issues. Buna holds up to 250 degrees claimed under pressure, the Viton will do like 475 degrees under pressure. I figured there was very little pressure in this case and just decided to do the Viton about a year ago, just because. I wouldn't and obviously didn't lose any sleep over using either one on my own bikes.

Loosen the locking nut, loosen the jam nut from the allen nut and take them all off, then use a pick to take out the O-ring and put in the fatter one, then reverse the whole process. If you're careful you don't even screw up the adjustment.

Mine lets some oil out, so I have to do my own... or wipe it off every now and again... depends on how lazy I want to be. I guess with a hosed up ankle I definitely have the time to do the job!

Last edited by klx678; 06-06-2014 at 07:27 PM.
Old 06-07-2014, 01:42 AM
1st Gear Member

I had a similar problem after reinstall, turned out my gasket didn't seat all the way, it caused leak down from the top to run the length of the bolt. Try reseating the gasket

Quick Reply: Krieger cam chain adjuster installed