1st Gear Member

Bigger bang

Old 02-18-2009, 02:47 AM
Banned
1st Gear Member

Thats what US lawyers say.

Old 02-19-2009, 09:25 PM
1st Gear Member

What about risk of blowing out the head gasket due to the smaller and thinner sealing area Especially on the bigger boars people are installing in these smaller motors. ohh and that lean issue i could under stand if it was so lean you spark plug was getting white which is a sign of overheating, but i dont think so anyway, but we shouldnt be talking about lean becuase its such a problem we all need to richen up.

Last edited by sharkbyte48; 02-19-2009 at 09:29 PM. Reason: **** is a bad word when you spell especially wrong
Old 02-21-2009, 07:05 PM
1st Gear Member

Hey guys, I have 32 miles on the bike as of today and I am extremely happy with it. I know the 331 kit is now obsolete and there are a bunch of reviews on it so I'll keep it short. I've taken it on the lake and powerlines and can say it definatley pulls way better in the low to mid revs I cant comment on the top end as I've only hit 5k a couple times. Wheelies in first require no other imput than simply twisting the throttle and it doesn't seem to vibrate any more than stock. It's still to early to tell what this thing will do but I'm already having tons of fun. I am currently running it very rich with a 42/142 jet combo (Kawi jet) and stock air filter at 20*F until I get a few more miles on it then I'll switch over to my Twin air and leaner jets.

Attached Thumbnails KLX331s-feb18_0004.jpg  
Old 02-21-2009, 07:40 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by sharkbyte48
i got a question, when you get the oversized boar cylinder do you get a larger head gasket and the comustion chamber doam on the had will have flat edges where the boar is bigger, wont that effect the running performance, or be a problem down the road?
Yes I got a larger head gasket and the head is the same so you should have a flat spot at the edge of the dome. I didn't check before assembling. I can only guess that this would have a very minimal effect on the heads flow but I don't see it being a problem. Is a 300's dome wider? mabey it would be a better choice if you wanted to chase down every last bit of performance.

Originally Posted by sharkbyte48
What about risk of blowing out the head gasket due to the smaller and thinner sealing area Especially on the bigger boars people are installing in these smaller motors. ohh and that lean issue i could under stand if it was so lean you spark plug was getting white which is a sign of overheating, but i dont think so anyway, but we shouldnt be talking about lean becuase its such a problem we all need to richen up.
A larger gasket is going to have more surface area at the sealing edge thus reducing the pressure but that's probably cancled out with the bigger explosions and brought back to stock values. Just my .02$ I'm not a pro engine builder. Fixing the origional Lean problem was one of my first mods.