KLX300S hits Moab.

Search this Thread

Old 05-14-2010, 12:45 AM
1st Gear Member

Thanks for the report and pics. Sounds like you had a great time. Good to hear that the Nuetech worked so well.

Old 05-14-2010, 12:53 AM
1st Gear Member

That is awesome. Were you out there by yourself? Don't they have coyotes out there?

Old 05-14-2010, 01:45 AM
TNC
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by armycopter
That is awesome. Were you out there by yourself? Don't they have coyotes out there?
I met some other riders out there from Washington state, Colorado, Canada, and Texas. I only rode two days of the whole trip by myself when I went down to the Needles section of Canyonlands.

Coyotes?...LOL!...we keep them for pets here in Texas.

Many of my trips I'm often riding by myself. If I'd waited to go places and ride over the years only when someone could ride with me, I'd only have a fraction of the trips I've gotten to take over the years.

Old 05-14-2010, 02:32 AM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by TNC
I agree on the chain slack. I took careful measurements of the chain tension with a shock link detached to check for the tightest spot in the axle path, and IMO the proper chain slack for my '06 seemed closer to that of the KLX300 which for some reason is about 5-10mm larger than my '06 KLX250S. Too tight a chain tension is at least damaging to the chain but worse can destroy the bearing on the output shaft.
I think I'll put that on the to-do, verify that the manual is right and if I need to run more slack I will.

Old 05-14-2010, 02:42 AM
1st Gear Member

Nice report TNC. I'm heading there in a few weeks with the KLRWorld.com bunch but for the most part I'll be riding my KLeeneX (still a 250). Like you said, cheating.

Good to hear that the 35 pilot jet worked well. I tried a 38 pilot last time I was down in that area and it was too rich - bogging right off the throttle.

Old 05-14-2010, 03:12 AM
1st Gear Member

Awesome stuff man, good pics! Have many friends out West, but unfortunately never had the pleasure of riding out there!

Old 05-14-2010, 05:41 AM
TNC
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by Guido
Nice report TNC. I'm heading there in a few weeks with the KLRWorld.com bunch but for the most part I'll be riding my KLeeneX (still a 250). Like you said, cheating.

Good to hear that the 35 pilot jet worked well. I tried a 38 pilot last time I was down in that area and it was too rich - bogging right off the throttle.
I really thought about holding off until the CMC/KLRW event, but Memorial Day is often hotter than I like. This year may be different, however, as the season's weather seems to be coming on a little slower this year.

Old 05-14-2010, 10:42 PM
1st Gear Member

Great story and pics! No doubt I could crash alot in that type of enviorment.

Old 05-14-2010, 10:55 PM
TNC
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by bootmud
Great story and pics! No doubt I could crash alot in that type of enviorment.
LOL!...well, in that second set of pics of my bike with the KLR650 by the river, we helped the guy with that KLR pick up his bike many times. The KLX is by far a more forgiving and capable bike as well as being much lighter. Even in some pretty gnarly terrain, I don't feel I ever got close to crashing or dropping the bike. I really should kick myself for riding a beast like the KLR600/650 for so many years in tough terrain. I don't want to sound too tough on the KLR, as it really fits a niche of capability of traveling down the highway and still being able to tackle some decent terrain. However, it's clear it's not even in the same galaxy as a modded KLX250 for any challenging terrain.

Old 05-14-2010, 10:59 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by TNC
I only ate out about 5 times in 17 days but still ate extremely well.
I hope you're kidding That works out to about 1 meal every 3.5 days. Nowhere close to 'eating well' in my book That would kill the whole ride for me. Gotta have my food.

Quick Reply: KLX300S hits Moab.