klx300r

Search this Thread

Old 06-20-2019, 03:42 AM
1st Gear Member

dam nice bike for Fifty Five hundred bucks for sure.

Old 06-20-2019, 10:39 AM
1st Gear Member

Inflation since 2003 to date has been around 33%, the 2003 KLX300R was $4699, that should make the new one $6249. It's essentially dropped in price relative to 2003.

Old 06-21-2019, 04:57 PM
TNC
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by klx678
Don't say that over at the ADVrider forum. They think everything should be up there with the KTMs. Funny part was when I asked them if they would pay the same money for an equal quality/power/performance Japanese bike the answer was NO. They also do not see that market that both you and I see. The lower cost, yet still proficient performing play bike.

I think it will do great, having that all important magic button on the right handlebar. Electric start added to ATVs helped tremendously and they don't need balancing when kick starting. I think we will see the same here. I think that was what helps the KLX140 too. I wouldn't trade the e-start for a 30 lb savings in weight, it's just that much better for a shorter guy like me.
Blah, I've ridden with quite a few of those KTM guys over on ADV in the years I've owned my KLX. Even with almost always being the oldest guy riding with them, my KLX went everywhere their KTM's went with the exception of places like "The Five Miles of Hell"...and there even many KTM riders declined that ride...LOL!

I'm no Dakar level rider or Randy Hawkins enduro pro, but the KLX with just a little tweaking is quite capable. This new KLX300 with e-start, FI, etc. will only improve an already very competent bike at bargain basement prices. If you want to compete, get a full-on race bike. If you want to get from point A-to-B comfortably, reliably, and with more than adequate competence, a KLX300 will do that...as will a slightly modded KLX250.

Your comment on the e-start is spot-on. The KLX motor almost never stalls when climbing or navigating loose, scrabbly terrain if you've got your fueling set up properly. It's one of the most tractor-like power bands I've ever owned even compared to my several Honda XR's. But when you do stall in a precarious situation on a ledge, 45-degree hill, etc., the push of that button is magic.

Also, on the carbed models, drop that bike in a sand wash or hill and let some fuel leak into the intake for a few seconds/minutes. Even with the knowledge of how to start a flooded, hot engine, kick your brains out in some situations until you clear the fuel...or...push the button for a bit...LOL!

Old 06-21-2019, 06:27 PM
1st Gear Member

Yeah I get it on the auto compression release kick starts, no way to quickly clean out the cylinder. On the SR if it coughs or falls over, with the manual release I kick it over maybe five or six times to clean out the cylinder, then do the ritual and fire it up again. Not so easy without a manual release.

I think a lot of riders overestimate their skills and needs, but hey, that's okay. Irritating when they insinuate those of us who don't think we need the latest and greatest are ignorant for riding something as "pedestrian" as a KLX. Of course some of the orange crowd think that if you ride anything not from Europe and specifically Austria. Fact is they're most all fun to ride. I think a 300 dual sport is going to be nice - when I finally do the work. A 350 from the factory would be pretty cool too. Probably won't happen due to the world market for the 250, Maybe they will try to get certification for a 300 and do both displacements, selling them where they are legal. Other trick would be for Kaw to do an "AHL" and make a kit for the 250 at a reasonable price compared to the standard pick from the parts list shopping. May not be as low buck as the AHL, but whatever, some would feel more secure if it was from Kawasaki.

Have a good summer T

Old 07-31-2019, 03:52 AM
1st Gear Member

No factory lighting!